Search for content in message boards

GOOCH FAMILY HISTORY book

Replies: 4

GOOCH FAMILY HISTORY book

Harriet GOOCH Stetser (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2002 8:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOOCH
I saw a few inquiries asking for a book on our Family. May I suggest: "The History of a Surname ... The Line of John Gooch in New England" -- written (1926) by Frank Austin Gooch, based on tremendous research by his uncle, Samuel Henfield Gooch. The book delineates the earliest Gooch connections (9th C. Scandanavia, 10th C. Normandy, then Wales, into England, then to the U.S. The book is chockablock with dates, names, places, historical data, and even illustrations !

Samuel Gooch was a reknown professor at Yale pre- & post-1900; but he died without having published this book. His nephew took up the cause, had it published in very limited private edition, of which only 3 were known when I discovered its existence. For years I worked with a dogeared Lib. of Congress copy, then found that the book, entirety, has now been re-published as a paperback, 8.5" by 11" format, 160 pgs + appendices, by Higginson Book Company, priced in 11/2000 at $31.00 including postage. The company specializes in books on genealogy & local histories. You must see their website! Key your Search as: Higginson Book Company You'll be amazed, methinks !

Harriet

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Harriet GOOCH Stetser 8 Feb 2002 3:17PM GMT 
agooch6 27 Oct 2011 2:17PM GMT 
agooch6 21 Nov 2011 12:28AM GMT 
quetascorner 1 Mar 2012 8:23PM GMT 
quetascorner 6 Jun 2012 4:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions