Search for content in message boards

Elijah Goodnight son of John H. Goodnight and Peggy Conder

Replies: 3

Elijah Goodnight son of John H. Goodnight and Peggy Conder

Posted: 5 Mar 2006 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Apr 2006 3:55AM GMT
Hans Michael Gutknecht/Michael Goodnight and his first wife had a son Henry Goodnight who married Elizabeth Chisholm and moved to Washington Co. KY and then to Giles Co. TN. Their son John H. Goodnight married Margaret “Peggy” Conder in Washington Co. KY on 14 Mar 1805. Their marriage record shows consent was signed by John’s father Henry Goodnight and Peggy’s brother Jacob Conder. From the Conder Genealogy, we learn that Peggy was a daughter of George Conder, Jr. and Susannah Goodnight. I would like to know what the source of that information is since it makes John and Peggy first cousins. The spelling of the name was Conder in all the early documents. I believe the error by Bert in writing it Condor has generated the modern error.

John H. Goodnight and Peggy Conder had a son Elijah Goodnight who was born ca 1809. I learned of him first in "A Partial History of the Goodnight Family in Southwest Missouri" a typescript by the late Bert Robbins. Bert’s mother was a grand daughter of John H. Goodnight. Bert’s mother had said that her uncle Elijah went to Iowa to live with his daughter Samantha Anderson. The GenWeb materials for Greene County Iowa now have enough information on-line that I was able to find Elijah and Samantha. I learned Elijah died 22 October 1868 but no place of burial was given. I learned from the county records and census records that Samantha was first married to Gideon Miller and then to A. B. Anderson. His first name has been given as Alford and Alfred, but most of the time as Alfred. I believe Alfred is correct since that was his son’s name. Below is a summary of information I have found on Elijah’s family. I would like to have anything anyone else has found on the other children of Elijah.

FAMILY GROUP
Husband's Full Name: Elijah GOODNIGHT
Birth: ca 1809 Tennessee
Death: 22 Oct 1868 Greene Iowa
Father: John H. GOODNIGHT Mother: Mary Margaret (Peggy) CONDER

Wife's Full Name: Martha J.
Birth: ca 1819 Tennessee

Children:

1. William J. GOODNIGHT
born ca 1836 Tennessee
2. Margaret E. GOODNIGHT
born ca 1838 Tennessee
3. R. A. D. “Alonzo” GOODNIGHT
born ca 1842 Tennessee
4. Samantha GOODNIGHT
born ca 1847 Tennessee
mar. ca 1865 Greene Iowa
to: Gideon MILLER (1844-1870 son of James P. & Rachel)
mar. 27 Sep 1870 Greene Iowa
to: A. B. ANDERSON (Alfred/Alford?)
5. Edward Franklin “Frank” GOODNIGHT
Born ca 1851 Indiana
Mar. 5 Aug 1872 Greene Iowa
To: Sarah C. SHREVE (born Dec 1852)
Died 25 Oct 1897 Del Norte Rio Grande Colorado
Buried in Del Norte Cemetery
Daughter Cora May was born 14 May 1874 in Greene Co. IA

The family was in Giles County in 1840 and in Decatur County in 1850 at 21-47. A 59 year old Jacob Conder, probably Elijah’s uncle, was in that county also. By 1860, the family was back in Giles County consisting of Elijah, Samantha and Frank, living in the household of Robert Saunders. Frank was born in Indiana. Alonzo was nearby in Giles County. (I presume he was the R. A. D.) R. A Goodnight served in a Company G, 3rd TN CSA from Giles Co.

I found Samantha Anderson in the 1870 census of Jefferson Incorporated Township, Greene Co. Iowa with children Miranda 8, Olla 6, and Alfred under a year.

Apparently Samantha’s second husband died shortly before 1880 since the youngest child, Alfred was under a year old. In the 1890 tax list of Jefferson Incorporated there is a Mrs. A. J. Anderson listed.

In the 1870 census, Samantha Miller was living with 4 year old son James Miller and with Franklin Goodnight, age 19 and Martha Goodnight age 18 in her household. The record shows that Mrs. Samantha Miller married A. B. Anderson 27 Sept 1870. Gideon Miller died in Kendrick Township 6 May 1870 and is buried in Dillavou Cemetery. In 1880, 13 year old grandson James is living with J. P. and Rachel Miller. Samantha Anderson is living with husband apparently gone or dead with two children Miranda 8 and Olla 6.

I had learned of Samantha’s first husband being named Gideon because in 1860, James P. and Rachel Miller have only one son, 16 year old Gideon, born in Indiana, living with them in Kendrick Township. James P. Miller was found in the 1900 census of Kendrick Township we find 33 year old grandson James P. Miller. His parents were born in Indiana and Tennessee.

E. F. (Frank) Goodnight married Sarah C. Shreve on 5 Aug 1872 in Greene Co. Iowa. In 1880, E. F. “Frank” and S. C. Goodnight are in Del Norte, Rio Grande County, Colorado with 6 year old daughter Cora who was born in Iowa. Frank was buried in the Del Norte Cemetery with a Woodmen of the World marker. After Frank died, Sarah and Cora moved to Cheney, Spokane Co. Washington where Cora was a public school teacher.

FAMILY GROUP
Husband's Full Name: Gideon MILLER
Birth: a 1844 Randolph Indiana
Mar.: ca 1865 Greene Iowa
Death: 6 May 1870 Kendrick Twp Greene Iowa
Burial: May 1870 Dillavou Cem. Scranton Greene Iowa
Father: James P. MILLER Mother: Rachel LANE

Wife's Full Name: M. S. M. “Samantha” GOODNIGHT
Birth: 27 Sep 1847 Tennessee
Father: John H. GOODNIGHT Mother: Mary Margaret (Peggy) CONDER

Children:

1. James P. MILLER