Search for content in message boards

Green Family of Illinois

Replies: 12

Green Family of Illinois

Kaye Cross (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2002 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
My husband's grandmother was Ethelinda Martha Jane Green, born 22 Oct 1887 Dexter, Stoddard, MO. She married Grover Cleveland Bagby 2 Aug 1904 Bloomfield, Stoddard, MO. They had a large family: Clyde Cleveland, Ernest William, Loren Lee, Nola Augusta, Virginia Ruth, Verda Alice Piccola, Hazel Marie, Joseph Woodrow, Dolly Elberta, Grover Carl, Graydon Edward, Berniece Louise, Robert Floyd. Martha died 13 Oct 1929 Parma, New Madrid, MO. She was a pretty woman, inside and out, much loved and respected by family and friends. She was a hard worker and made every effort to help her husband provide for their family.
Martha's father was Martin V. Green. Her husband Grover, told some of his children he thought Martin Green was born in Hamilton or White County, Illinois.
Stoddard County, Missouri census for 1850, 1860, and 1870 showed nothing to indicate these Green’s were in that county at those times. Marion and Nancy were found living in Liberty Twp, Stoddard County on the 1880 census. We have a copy of the microfilmed census report.
Our Francis Marion Green was reported in the census as having been born 1835 in MO (doubtful as to place). He died 30 Mar 1887, near Dexter, Stoddard, MO, buried in Hagy Cemetery, Dexter. He married Nancy M. LNU. (Unknown if Nancy was a nickname or an actual given name. Also, it is not confirmed that she is the mother of any of FMG’s children. Her name was found with his, as his spouse on a deed in the courthouse at Bloomfield, Stoddard County, Missouri.) FMG’s son, Martin V. (most likely VanBuren) Green was born reportedly in Illinois about 1859.
Nancy M. Green, widow of Francis Marion Green, reported his service in the Union Army on the 1890 special enumeration of Union Veterans and widows. She reported him to have been in the 81st Illinois Infantry. Upon searching out information on that regiment, it was discovered to have been mustered at Anna, Illinois, comprised of men from the “Egypt” counties of southern Illinois. The 1860 census for those six counties of that area, plus White and Hamilton counties, have been read as carefully as the census films would allow. Some of the records were very faint, most likely due to water damage caused while being stored in Washington, D. C. At any rate, these Greens could not be found on those census. Internet sites involving the 81st Ill Infantry have been read and no indication of FMG was found.
In some families, such as the Bagby’s, stories of ancestors accomplishments, adventures and misadventures were repeated from generation to generation. Those folks have enjoyed talking about what they knew of the family’s history. Other families, such as our Greens, did not talk about such things from the past, or if they did, it was on rare occasion. Information about FMGs experiences in the military, had not been repeated in the family. Although, his widow did know enough to report to the special enumeration.
Requests for a search of pension papers and/or bounty land warrants for FMG were sent to the National Archives. Nothing was found. Request was also sent for military papers on FMG. Several pages of copies were returned as result of that search. They found Francis Marion Green in Company I, 41st Regiment, Illinois Infantry. Nancy M. Green would have been elderly at the time of reporting to the special enumeration that he was in the 81st, perhaps she simply made a mistake.
Francis Marion Green was mustered in to Company I, 41st Illinois Infantry, 1861, as a 2nd Lt., at Decatur, Macon Co., Illinois. His age was recorded as 23 years on enlistment, making him born in 1838. His residence was reported as Mt. Auburn, Christian County, Illinois. On his military papers his name was not consistently reported as Francis Marion Green, but also F. Marion Green, F. M. Green, Marion Green and Marion F. Green.
He was given a field appointment to Captain, by Col. Isaac C. Pugh, to the command of the company March 15, 1862, to fill vacancy caused by the resignation of Capt. B. B. Bacon. Later he was given a letter of commission to Captain from Gov. R. Yates of Illinois.
On Sunday, July 12th, the Regiment, under the command of Col. I. C. Pugh was ordered by General Lauman, to charge over the rebel works where in the heat of battle the 41st lost, in killed, wounded and prisoners near 200. For this mistake General Lauman was put under arrest, court-martialed, and dismissed the service.
Capt. F. M. Green, possibly along with others of the officers, was included in the general order issued at the time and was placed under arrest. He was later court martialed, but not dismissed from service. We don’t have greater details about this incident at this time.
Other Green men found serving with the 41st: (hopefully, I can find someone who knows if or how these men might connect with Francis Marion Green)
Green, Leander, QM Sergeant, residence Mt. Auburn, mustered in Aug 5, 1861, promoted, 2d Lieut. Co. I (perhaps he filled the vacancy made when Francis Marion Green was promoted to Captain) I have sent for copies of his records from the National Archives.
Green, Aaron G., recruit, residence Decatur, M. O. Aug 20, 1864 as 1st Sgt.
Greene, Enoch D., private, residence Decatur, muster date Aug 5, 1861, M. O. Aug 20, 1864
Greene, William H., private, residence Decatur, muster date Aug 5, 1861, M. O. Aug 20, 1864 as Corp.
The Illinois Civil War Veterans Database lists a couple of other Greens I sent for papers at the National Archives on. One was a Francis M. with the listed residence of Springfield, which is in Sangamon Co. The other was a Josiah with the listed residence of Litchfield, which is in Montgomery Co.
We ordered the Macon County, Illinois 1860 census and found one Green. Decatur P.O., page 725 line 39, J. G. Green, 59, M, day laborer, born in NY. We have no idea where he fits in, or if he does.
At the same time we ordered the Christian County, Illinois 1860 census and found the following:
Mt. Auburn, household 671
Leander Green, 32, M, farmer, 800, 800, born in KY
Mary E. “ , 29, F, domestic, born in ILL
Charles M. “ , 7, M, born in ILL
William F. “ , 2, M, born in ILL
Marion F. “ , 23, M, 800, born in ILL
While Marion F.’s relationship to Leander is not stated, it is very likely they were brothers. The census enumerator listed his age as 23, but again this is a census report and these reports are notorious for this type error.
The census for Christian County, Illinois 1850 and 1870 have been ordered, but not yet read. Requests for copies of possible pension papers, bounty land papers, and military papers for Leander Green have been ordered, not yet received.
Currently, contacts are being made with individuals who have submitted information on Green families in the same geographical areas, time frames and name similarities, to Ancestry.Com World Family Tree Project and to the LDS FamilySearch Pedigree Resource Files. Hopefully, these individuals will share their comments and sources of information in order to assist with sorting out these Green’s to the most accurate and complete degree possible with our combined efforts.
Among the Ancestry.com World Family Tree project is where I found folks that have listed ancestors that come out of a Josiah Green who was in Sangamon Co., Ill. Yes, they list a Francis M. Green as one of this Josiah’s sons. They found two marriages for him, which I was able to confirm, but don’t have certificate copies for, by using IRAD. The first wife died in 1860, some time later he married the second wife. They can both be found, with their children, on the 1880 census Castleton, Reno, Kansas. I followed that up and did find them on that census. My FMG, I had previously found on the 1880 census Liberty Twp, Stoddard Co., MO. So, this is not the right family. I have been writing to those Ancestry.com submitters, but have not as yet received help from them.
The folks who submitted to Ancestry, working on the Josiah Green family there in Sangamon Co, also list a Leander among the children. They list him as being married to Mary E. Baker and ending up with a residence in Medoc, Jasper Co., MO. Leander md Mary in Christian Co, Ill, none of Josiah from Sangamon’s other children married or apparently never even lived in Christian Co. I confirmed Leander and Mary’s marriage with the IRAD listing.
By searching in the LDS Pedigree Resource Files, two separate submission were found on Leander and Mary. From what I could tell by reading, those two submitters don’t appear to be affiliated with the other folks working on the family of Josiah from Sangamon. These submitters didn’t put info on about the Greens, except Leander, his wife and children, they were obviously researching the Bakers. Some of the Bakers were in Sangamon Co, Ill and migrated on to Medoc, Jasper, MO. I think Leander would have migrated to Jasper Co, because of the Baker family connection rather than anything to do with what the Sangamon Green’s were doing. I have written to the PRF submitters, but have not received answers yet.
All this boils down to the gut hunch that the Green’s in Sangamon Co are not the same family as the Green’s in Christian, Montgomery and Macon Cos.
Do you know anything about Green’s in Macon Co, Ill? The 1860 census didn’t reflect any but one from NY, living alone. I have read the 1850 and 1870 Macon Co census but have the films ordered. (The 1870 Stoddard Co, MO census didn’t show FMG.) However, the Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database reflects several transactions in 1865 by a Francis M. Green in Macon Co.
What do you know about the Green’s in Montgomery Co, Ill? The Illinois Public domain Land Tract Sales Database shows several Green land transactions in Montgomery Co. The Green’s listed are: James Josiah S. Jr., William G., and Willis.
I would truly appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with any of these folks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kaye Cross 11 Oct 2002 4:11AM GMT 
khhurt65 3 Nov 2004 3:45AM GMT 
morewillberev... 5 Oct 2010 6:32AM GMT 
rjmott1 8 Jul 2011 3:37AM GMT 
Rickpelsue 10 Dec 2011 8:55AM GMT 
rjmott1 10 Dec 2011 4:21PM GMT 
Rickpelsue 10 Dec 2011 10:51PM GMT 
Rickpelsue 10 Dec 2011 8:52AM GMT 
jamie_penter 5 Jul 2013 5:55PM GMT 
rjmott1 10 Dec 2011 4:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions