Search for content in message boards

William Green(e) England-NY-NJ 1600's

Replies: 5

Re: William Green(e) England-NY-NJ 1600's

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: green, greene

Researched By Chuck Shiflett.

I've attached a Word document with all the rough info. I haven't gone through it to tidy it up and put it in good order, but there's a lot of interesting stuff. You remember as a kid being taught how some settlers traded beads to the indians for Long Island and Manhattan... your gr-gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather John Reeder was one those settlers.

There is an organization in New Jersey trying to restore the old William Green home. The link to their site.   http://www.williamgreenhouse.org/

See descendants at end of this dcument.

Judge William Green was born approximately 1671 and died in 1722, wife was Joanna Reeder;, born 1669 in Newtown, Long Island, New York; he became a judge in Hunterdon Co. NJ.   William came from England and met Joanna in Long Island, NY. Their home, built in 1717, still stands on the campus of Trenton University in Trenton, NJ.

William Green, an early settler of Hopewell Township, NJ, was one of the first judges of the county of Hunterdon. Members of the Green family born in the house served in the Revolutionary War. The grandsons of William Green include William Green III, who assisted at the Crossing on Christmas Night 1776, and Rev. Enoch Green. Enoch Green was a noted Presbyterian minister, and valedictorian of the Princeton University Class of 1760. He also served as a battalion chaplain at Fort Washington in 1776, and presided over the construction of the Deerfield and Maidenhead Presbyterian Churches.

According to National Archive Records, a number of the Light Horse Brigade of Washington's Army billeted at different times during the war at William Green's plantation.

William was a forefather of John Cleve Green, endower of the Lawrenceville School, and of the Greens who operated the Ewing-Yardley Ferry.

The fine Flemish bond brickwork of the Green house is similar to that used in the 1719 Trent House in Trenton, and its interior preserves original eighteenth-century detailing.  The National and State Registers of Historic Places both list the Green house, citing it as a significant example of colonial farmhouse architecture.

William Green owned the farm in 1715, for at that point in time the first minister of the Presbyterian church, Rev. Robert Orr, was staying on the farm with the Green family. The house as it presently stands consists of sections from four distinct building periods. The oldest of these forms the southeast segment of the building. Although this section has been traditionally dated 1717, it probably was built in the early 1730s when William Green Jr. and his wife Lydia Armitage had married and started a family. Apparently, there was a house on the site prior to the construction of the 1730s section. This would have been the first New Jersey home of Judge William Green Sr and his wife Joanna Reeder. Traces of the roof of the earlier one-and-a-half story building appear on the partition wall between the eastern and western sections, and a few other traces of the earlier sections remain.

"I am Judge William Green , writing to you from the grave. I died in the year of our Lord 1722. I am buried in First Presbyterian Church of Ewing cemetery , near Scotch Road. I came from England, arriving in Philadelphia where I stayed a short time, then traveled to New York. There I met the Reeder family who had settled in the village of New Town (New York City), Long Island , and married Joanna Reeder. We came to Ewing about 1700 or a short time before.

"I purchased 350 acres of land from the Severns and Brearly families and we moved into the Severns wooden farmhouse. It has been family tradition that the first brick portion was constructed in 1717, but this was probably not so. My son William Jr. probably built the first brick portion. We later moved to Birmingham, known today as West Trenton, near the Delaware River. Joanna and I reared a family of seven sons and four daughters. I died 16 June 1722.

"Our eleven children were: Richard, Joseph, William, Esther, Mary, Joanna, Sarah, Benjamin, John, Jeremiah and Isaac."

FOOTNOTE:
The Friends of the William Green Farmhouse have found no record of Joanna's date of death, nor her grave in the Ewing churchyard, where she most certainly was buried. We suspect that by searching Richard Green Sr. documents, this enigma can be solved. We do know that Joanna "Hannah" was alive on Sept. 12, 1734 . On that date she and her son William were admitted to the Old House . -Editor
More On Joanna Reeder Family: "John Reeder (1), the earliest American ancestor of the families of that name residing in Ewing township, and vicinity, was of English origin and came to Massachusetts in 1636, was in Connecticut, 1643-50, and settled at Newtown, Long Island about 1652.”His name is found in that year, on the list of residents of that town who purchased the title to their lands from the Indians, having failed to obtain it by patent from the Dutch governor, Stuyvesant.

John Reeder, born December 27, 1613 in Stradishall, Suffolk, England; died March 9, 1659/60 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York. He was the son of John Reeder, born 1580 in England. He married. Margaret Thorpe 1635 in New Haven, Connecticut.  Margaret Thorpe, born 1616 in England; died 1675 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York.

Children of John Reeder and Margaret Thorpe are:
. John Jacob Reeder, born 1645 in Stratford, Connecticut; died May 9, 1694 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York; married Joanna Burroughs February 10, 1664/65 in New Jersey.
· Elizabeth Reeder, born about 1647 in Connecticut.
· Joseph Reeder, born 1647 in Stratford, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
· Jacob Reeder, born about 1649 in New York; died 1694.
· Jeremiah Reeder, born about 1651.
· Isaac Reeder, born about 1653 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York.
. Joanna Reeder, born 1669 in Newtown, Long Island, New York; married William Green 1692 in Long Island, New York/Trenton, New Jersey.
· Hannah Reeder, born 1671 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York; died February 12, 1733/34 in Trenton Twp., New Jersey; married Richard Betts Scudder 1691 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York. Hannah and Richard's daughter Deborah, married John Hart, the Signer, son of Capt. Edward Hart.
· John Reeder, born about 1673 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York; married Hannah Burroughs about 1698.
· Jeremiah Reeder, born about 1675 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York.
· Joseph Reeder, born about 1677 in Newtown, Queens Co., New York.

The Reeder Farm "Rose Hill"
in Birmingham (now West Trenton) is now known as Jones Farm and is operated as a dairy facility and minimum security state correctional institution.

Like many of the settlers of Ewing, the Reeders hailed from Newtown, Long Island. Early in the 18th century they followed the old Indian trails down from New York State to the township now known as Ewing.

"The original deed for the Reeder Plantation at Ewing, which is called 'Rose Hill,' bearing date of May 24, 1707, was given by Daniel Cox, Jun. 'late of London' to Zebulon Heston, who in turn conveyed the same property by deed bearing date of Oct 20, 1710, to 'John Reeder of Newtown, Long Island, and Isaac Reeder, son of said John Reeder.' "-- Moses Bigelow, The Scudder Family of Trenton, p 23 (1948)

Jeremiah Green, b. 1708 in NJ married to Johanna Hunt… moved to NC in 1700’s.; his father was William Green

Jeremiah Green Born 1710 Died 1762
Married Joanna Hunt

"I married Joanna Hunt (abt 1719 - abt 1789), the daughter of John Hunt and Margaret Moore. We Moved From New Jersey to Rowan County North Carolina as part of The Jersey Settlement. "

Our Children Were:
======================================
Richard GREEN (abt 1740 - abt 1818)
Sarah GREEN
Mary GREEN (abt 1745 - )
Hannah GREEN (5 May 1746 - 2 Apr 1811)
Joanna GREEN  (abt 1747 - 17 Mar 1840)
Jeremiah GREEN Jr.  (15 Feb 1755 - 30 Dec 1839)
John GREEN  (3 Feb 1757 - 21 Nov 1826) 
Isaac GREEN
Stephen GREEN
Enoch GREEN
Jeremiah was still in the Trenton area in 1741, when he was listed on the census. Attempts to tie him to land in that area have proven in vain. Perhaps he lived on the Wm Green plantation in West Trenton prior to moving to NC.

Notes on Johanna Hunt Family:

Ralph Hunt: In the company of Englishmen that came to Long Island in 1652, to plant the town since known as Newtown (New York City), was Ralph Hunt. He was one of the seven patentees to whom, in behalf of themselves and associates, a grant was made by Gov.-Gen. Richard Nicholl, of the land on which Newtown was afterward built. He was, for many years, one of its first magistrates, and actively and prominently engaged in its business interests; as the records abundantly prove. He died 1677, leaving children: Ralph Jr. moved to Jamaica; Edward (2); John, was, for several years, a magistrate; Samuel (3); Mary; and Ann, wife of Theophilus Phillips, (see Phillips family, No.1)

Edward Hunt (2), son of Ralph (1), became a man of estate, and died in Newtown, 1716, having married Sarah, daughter of Richard and Joanna Betts, who came from England to Ipswich, Mass.,in 1648, thence to Newtown, L.I. Their children were: Edward Hunt Jr..(4); Richard, settled in Hunterdon county, NJ; Ralph, there is good reason for believing that this is the Ralph who, in his will, made 1732, styles himself of Maidenhead, bequeathing one hundred and fifty acres in Hopewell to Edward, his brother, probably; Thomas; Jonathan (5); Sarah, married Silas Titus (see Titus family, no. 3); Martha; Elizabeth; Hannah; and Abigail. Edward Hunt Jr (4), son of Edward (2), born February, 1684, came to Hunterdon county, NJ. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan and Hannah Laurenson. They had at least one son, John Hunt (6).

John Hunt, son of Edward (4), died 1769. By his wife, Margaret Moore had issue: Noah (7); Wilson (8); John (9); Jonathan, went South; Enoch, a colonel in the British army, his property administered upon in 1762, by Noaah; Gershom (married Eunice Fitz Randoplh), removed to North Carolina, in which state, and Kentucky and Mississippi, his descendants are to be found; Daniel (married Susanna _____); Joanna (married Jeremiah Green); and Charity.

Son: Richard GREEN b 1740 in Hunterdon Co., NJ married Eleanor SULLIVAN. They were founding members of Three Forks Baptist Church, Boone Co., N. C. Richard is the son of Jeremiah Green and Joanna Hunt.

Their children: Joseph, Benjamin, Edmund, Isaac, Robert, and Amos Green.

Amos GREEN born ca. 1778, Rowan co., N. C. died 1-6-1857 married Elizabeth SEARCY born ca. 1797 died 10-13-1854. They migrated to Habersham Co., Ga. settled on the Etowah River.
Children: Mary, married Daniel MORRISON, Habersham Co., Ga. Amelia, Elizabeth, Jesse, Richard Elleanor, Sarah, Jonathon, William Washington, Andrew Jackson, Oliver, and Nancy GREEN.

Dr. Jesse GREEN, son of Amos and Elizabeth SEARCY GREEN married 1st. wife Mary WARD married 2nd. Louisa JOHNSON. Jesse sold land lot #147 to Samuel Tate, Habersham Co., Ga.. Jesse and Mary built "The Greene Plantation House".

Dr. Jesse GREEN b. 1802, d. 1875 and Mary WARD b. 1807, died 1850 at 42 yrs. 2 mos., and 16 days of age. Their children are: Lewis Jesse, Sarah Louisa, Lucinda, William, Julian, Mary Ann, Joseph Harrison, Jasper and Elizabeth.

Dr. Jesse GREEN and 2nd wife Louisa JOHNSON, moved to Ball Ground, Cherokee Co., Ga and later to Ok. Their children are: Emaline, Sophronia 'Sapphire', Henry C., Margarett, Virgil M., Louvenia, Jesse B., Lucenia, Martha Ellen 'Mattie', Amanda, and Delila.

Benjamin Franklin Green married Mirah WEATHERBY, they moved to the Clayton Community, Cherokee Co., Ga. around 1850. Served in CSA died of starvation in prison camp in Maryland.
They had seven children:

1. Abner Weatherby GREEN born 11-26-1848 in N. C. died 1-10-1938 in Marion
Co., Ala. married on 8-20-1870 Orphalina JACKSON born 11-13-1852 died 9-4-1907.
Married in Cherokee Co., Ga. Abner served as a Scout in the War Between the
States when he was 15 or 16 years old.

2. Susan GREEN born ca.1851 died 1911, married Jefferson POTTS born in 1841. Ball Ground, Cherokee Co., Ga.

3. John Bunyan GREEN born ca. 1855 died 1916 married Elisha Green, Elisha was born 1854 died 1902. This is probably Elizabeth.?? Of children, one was daughter Della who married William “Bill” Peek.

4. George Alexander Green born 1857 died 1897 married Sarah Jane DOWDA born 1853 died 1941

5. Java T. GREEN born 1859 died 1929 married Martha Atlanta DOWDA born 1857 died 1933.

6. Benjamin Franklin Green born 1862 and died 1933 married Susan J. WOODS born ca. 1860, died 1932 Ok.

7. Mary Caroline Green born 1862 and died 1947 married Eli COOK born 1857 died 1938.

MORE ON WILLIAM GREEN: "William Green, ancestor of the families of that name in this region, dissatisfied with some new relation in his father's family, left his native land, England, at the early age of twenty, and landed at the port of Philadelphia. Soon after, desirous of returning, and finding no vessel about to sail from that port, he went to New York, but not meeting with an opportunity immediately, visited Long Island. He there became acquainted with the family of John Reeder , whose daughter, Joanna, in process of time, he married, and removed to Ewing township, about 1700. He purchased three hundred and forty-five acres of Col. Daniel Coxe , the deed bearing the date 1712, and on it erected the first brick house in the township, which is still standing, having on the west end the date, 1717, and is owned and occupied by his descendent of the fifth generation, Henry Green . His qualities were such as to give him distinction, for he was appointed one of the first judges of Hunterdon county, and from the frequent mention of his name in public affairs and important business transactions, he was evidently a prominent and useful citizen. He died, as is indicated by his antique tombstone in the Ewing church-yard, in 1722."- From Rev. Eli Cooley's Book:  Early Settlers in Trenton and Ewing, p 78

About William Green’s Grave...
   I am buried  near the left rear corner of the church, in the Ewing Church Cemetery. Originally my grave sat close to the foundation of the old Ewing Church.  The present building is the third church structure built on the site. Our congregation dates back to 1708. The first minister, Robert Orr, an immigrant from Northern Ireland, is said to have lived on my farm. When the church was enlarged in 1867 my grave was moved a few yards to the west. Amos Reeder Green , as a boy, and his father Henry P. Green (Henry and Virginia donated $300 toward the enlargement project) personally moved my  fieldstone grave marker and then carefully dug through the turf and mouldering heap to where the casket had been placed some 160 years before. All that was left of me in the thin layer of ashy mould were some bone fragments, a metal buckle and some buttons. These were gathered up and placed in a small pine box and buried in a shallow grave further from the church. The stone stood in this location for some one hundred years. Recently it was moved to line up with other stones to make yard maintenance easier.

William Green’s Will:

Wm. Green’s Will & Inventory 1722
Hunterdon County 1723

Sworn at Burlington Before me  Lem.ll Bustill

[unreadable on copy]     Richard Green Joseph Green

In the name of God Amen This 11th Day of January Anno Domini 1721, I William Green of Trenton NJ county of Hunterdon and Province of New Jersey Yeoman Being of Perfect mind and memory Thanks be Given to God But Calling to mind the mortallity of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament viz Princincipally and first of all I Give and Recommend my Soul into the Hands of God who Gave it and my Body is Recommond to the Dust to be Buried in Decent Christian Burial at the Discretion of my Executors, Nothing doubting but at Ye General Ressurection I shall receive the same again by the Mighty power of God And at Forsaking such worldly Estate as its holder [I ask?] God to bless me in this Life. I Give Divide and Dispose of the same in Ye following manner and form viz

I Give and Bequeath unto Joanna my Dearly beloved Wife the Best Room in my new Dwelling House and the Closet in Ye [celler], and one third pard of the Improvable Land and Tenements Belonging to it together with one Third part of the movable Estate Goods and Chattels During the Form of Her Natural Life and in Case of her [Never?] marrying During her Widowhood. But if she marry again my will is that she have fifty pounds paid her by my Executor our of my movable Estate on Ye Day of her Marriage and that she then give up the possession of the House and her Thirds or [aforesaid?]

I Give and Bequeath unto my well beloved Son Richard my Dwelling House and PlantationThat I now live upon Excepting that part that is willed to his mother or aforesaid and the whole of it at her Death or Inermarrying with all the appurtances to him and his heirs and assigns forever.

I Give unto my Well beloved sons Joseph and William that House and Plantation that I bought of John [Severans] to them and their heirs and assigns for Ever to be Equally Divided by them They paying to their two sisters Joanna and Sarah fiveteen pounds a piece when they either of them arrive to the age of 18 years –

I Give [text obscured, likely: and bequeath unto my beloved] Sons Benjamin, John, Jeremiah, and Isaac to each 40 pounds when they arrive to the age of 21 years to them and their heirs forever to be paid by my Executor our of my movable Estate.

I Give and Bequeath unto my well beloved Daughters Esther and Mary to Each 15 pounds to be paid by my Executor out of my moveable Estate to them and their heirs forever—

My will and Pleasure is that my four younger sons shall be put out to learn [sxxx to trade then shall chuse when they arrive to Ye age of 17 years and that Ye be heard to you ] none consider make and ordain my will beloved Sons Richard and Joseph my Executors to this my last will and Testament and my will is that after the aforesaid Devision from land payments be made that all Ye remaining part part of my movable Estate goods and Chattels be Equally Divided between my two Executors aforesaid—It being provided that all the Legacies or Bequests aforesaid be paid or Levied our of the movable Estate Goods or Chattels at money price according to 9 shilling and 2 pence [per R?]—

And I do hereby utterly disavow revoke and disaffirm all and every other former Testaments Wills Legacies and Executors by me in any way before this time named Willed and Bequesthed Ratifying and Confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament. In Witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal Ye Day and Year above written Signed Sealed Publishedn Pronounced and Declared by the Sed William Green as his last Will & Testament

In Presence of

Christopher Howell
William Reed        William Green
David Howell

The Jersey Settlement and Church
"About the middle of the last century a colony moved from New Jersey and settled in Rowan County, NC. This "Jersey Settlement" is now part of Davidson County and lies near the Yadkin River, opposite Salisbury. In this colony was Jeremiah Greene with a large family of sons & daughters. H. E. McCullough of England had secured grants to large tracts of land in NC , tract No 9, containing 12,500 acres, including much of the land of the Jersey Settlement. Jeremiah Greene bought 541 acres of this land. This land is described as lying on the waters of the Atkin or Pee Dee on Potts Creek. This creek passes near the village of Linwood (in the shadow of Grandfather Mountain) within a mile of Jersey Church and empties into the Yadkin, not far away. The land was bought in 1761." --from North Carolina Baptist Historical Papers dated Jan 1898.

"Jersey is now in Robertson County and is near Lexington. It is off Highway 85 and North Carolina Highway 8. The river that made this spot so wonderful is the Yadkin River. Jersey Baptist Church is active. It is one of the largest in the area with 500 in membership and 280 average attendance. Jersey Church is at one end of the two mile long Jersey Church road. The neighborhood grade school for Jersey Land School is at the other end. High school students go by bus to Lexington, seventeen miles away.
The Jersey church was established before 1755. Settlers came from Hopewell and Manalapan, New Jersey and the “Old School” Hopewell Baptist Church near Princeton, which was established in 1715. Jersey Land escaped ravage by the British in the American Revolution because of heavy rain and a swollen Yadkin River. They camped there and viewed Jersey Farms with spyglasses but finally gave up and went elsewhere."---Julie Scott
Beginning around 1740, some people from New Jersey, and the congregation of the Baptist Church now known as Old School Baptist Church of Hopewell, New Jersey, began to migrate to North Carolina to an area called Jersey Settlement. Eventually they built a church called Jersey Church. Today that church is the largest church in the area, Jersey Baptist Church, located on Jersey Church Road. The museum representative at Hopewell told the writer that their records name some persons who were in a suit about land that was in North Carolina as their money had been taken, but it was a scam. They had to pay twice. She called some of the names out over the telephone, but the writer did not hear the name of Barkley and did not write down the other names. She said that this suit was why they had any record of the names of the persons from Hopewell New Jersey going to North Carolina.

The church secretary at Jersey Baptist Church read to the writer from the church history book, which is a bounded published book in its second printing and now has an index. The book tells of about 125 young people who migrated from the congregation of Old School Baptist Church in 1756to Rowan County North Carolina and formed a settlement called Jersey Settlement. They had a grant of 100,000 acres of land, within the Granville grant, for settling. Their preacher was John Gano. John Ganowas not at the time an ordained minister, because the Hopewell Church thought he was too young and too inexperienced to be ordained by them It was not John Gano's intent to stay permanently in Jersey settlement. He went back to Hopewell NJ, but came to visit Jersey Settlement several times. He also asked for a missionary to go to Jersey settlement to work with the people there. Later, John Gano converted and baptized General George Washington. This writer was interested in Jersey Church and the Jersey Settlement because of her ancestors, Robert Barkley and his wife Leah, who lived in Rowan County NC. Their property was part of or near Jersey Settlement.

The minutes of Jersey Baptist Church began in 1784. Earlier minutes wer elost. By then, church had been meeting for thirty years in Jersey. One of the first entries of the minutes tells of Samuel Barkley and his wife Mary (Davis) coming by experience. Mention is also made in the minutes of Jersey Church of Samuel's sisters Mary and Margaret, who were married to Benjamin Todd and John Hendericks. Samuel was the eldest son of Robert Barkley and his wife Leah

The following information was found in the book online A Colonial History of Rowan County North Carolina by James Ervin, published by the University of North Carolina, 1917 about the Baptist in Rowan County. Information as to the Baptists in early Rowan is very meager. When the Rev. Hugh Mc Aden passed through this section in 1755 he found a meetinghouse in the Jersey Settlement. There was much confusion in the congregation, many of whom were Baptists and several professing to be Presbyterians. One cause of the trouble arose from the labors of a Mr. Miller, a Baptist minister. With the aid of a Rev. Mr. Gano, Miller established a Baptist Church in the Jersey Settlement.

The graveyard of Jersey Church contains many very old graves and markers. Some of these stones have inscriptions that can be read. On others, the inscriptions are not readable. There is not an inscription on a tombstone that can be read, with the name of Robert Barkley or his wife Leah. Jersey Baptist Church had a section of land they thought was for expansion of their graveyard. When they began to attempt to use it, they found that it was already full, and containing even older graves that were unmarked. They did not know why the graves were unmarked. It might have been that the graves had markers earlier that had deteriorated and were removed. It might have been that the graves were not marked to conceal the number of dead from the Indians, who would have been better able to determine the number of living by knowing the number who had died. The strength of the living by numbers was a security factor. Whenever a new grave was to be dug and it was found that it had already been used, by a bone or a button or a piece of cloth coming up, theobject was replaced and left further undisturbed.

Books have made several mentions of Jersey Settlement and the church. Land was deeded for a church in the area, but it was for a Presbyterian Church. Researchers were cautioned not to discount this as not being Jersey Church, because it could very well have been and probably was. The church was started more than one time. Although the present Jersey Church personnel were not aware of it, other family records and other types of records make mention of three distinct groups using the same building. It is not understood if the three groups formed one congregation, or if three distinct congregations used the same building. It is likely the people were few, and that they might have met together.

One Barclay family paper, written by Margaret Barkley of Waco, Texas, mentions a Quaker meeting from Manalapan New Jersey and that turned their meeting in New Jersey into a Baptist congregation and migrated with their religious leader John Gano to Rowan County NC. Margaret reported that they met with the Jersey Church congregation. The Jersey Baptist church personnel said that they knew nothing about any Quakers what so ever in connection with their church. It is thought that Margaret of Waco, Texas, went to Old Rowan County and did research. She provided a bibliography ofthe books that she studied with her paper.

Margaret Barclay of Waco is not likely to have gotten this information from nowhere. Contact with the Quakers produced no information of a Quaker Meeting there, or the name Robert Barkley of Rowan County NC.

Persons Mentioned in the Will of Robert Barkley of Rowan County North Carolina: A landmark spoken of in the Barkley materials was Richard's Creek. The persons mentioned in Robert's will were; Richard Todd, Joseph Todd, Thomas Todd, John Hendrickson, Benjamin Todd, Peter Todd and Robert Todd. Robert Barkley, a grandson, and Robert Todd, another grandson, were children in 1886. They were mentioned as well as all of the sons and daughters of Robert Barkley of Rowan County and his wife Leah. This will may be read online.

Research Questions about Jersey Settlement and Jersey Church
This writer has not been to Old Rowan County herself to research the Barkley property, the landmarks mentioned or Jersey Church. She is just passing on information from others put together into one paper and placed online. Several research questions have come to her mind. 1) How far was the Jersey settlement from the Lake that was built on the Yadkin River and is part of Jersey settlement at the bottom of that lake? 2) How far was this from the land of Squire Boone, identifiable on maps? 3) Did Squire Boone attend a Quaker meeting in Rowan County, as he had been a Quaker in Pennsylvania before coming to Rowan County North Carolina? If yes, where. 4) Were Robert and Leah Barkley buried at Jersey Church graveyard, or any of their children, such as son William who died after1786 or son David, who is not accounted for? 5) Can the specific location of the Barkley property be determined from the landmarks known, the location of Jersey church and the town of Salisbury. 6) Can anything further be learning about the Quaker group turned Baptist from Manalapan, New Jersey? 7) Who were the other early members of Jersey Settlement and Jersey Church? 8) Can the Jersey Church or Baptist Convention shed any further light on this very interesting history?

Excerpts for the writings of Margaret Barclay of Waco, 1964:
The reader is referred to the Barkley Family paper, 1964, written by Margaret Barclay of Waco, Texas. The story of Robert Barkley of Rowan County, N. C. is taken from facts found in the History of the Liberty Baptist Association; by Elder Henry Sheets, and Lawson?s History of North Carolina; as well as the colonial records of Rowan County, N.C. Robert Barclay of Rowan was born 1-9-1717/18 in Dublin Ireland. He came to America and settled sometime before 1755, as in that year the Baptist congregation of Manalapan, New Jersey, which had formerly been members ofthe Quaker sect, went to North Carolina under the guidance of Rev. John Gregory, and, with two other denominations, built a church which they called the Jersey Church. The other denominations fell by the wayside and the church became, and is today, Baptist. The American Revolution, two earthquakes, and time have destroyed many of the graves there. Deed book 23, page 14, 1-29-1814, states that Joseph Haden of Rowan County let John Darr of Rowan have 183 acres on Richard?s Creek adjoining Benjamin Todd, Thomas Adams, Caleb Campbell and George Fezor, being part of a track originally owned by the deceased Robert Barclay,which Walter and Robert Barclay let Thomas Durham have 5-18-1789. Vol.17, Deed Book, page 327, dated 10-2-1797, shows that Robert and Walter Barclay sold by deed made in Kentucky two tracts of land in Rowan County.
In Conclusion; The Jersey Baptist Church is located on Jersey Church Road, a two mile road just off the main NC highway. It is at one end of the road and the school is at the other end. Jersey settlement was between Salisbury and the later Lexington. Salisbury became the county seat of Old Rowan County. Today, children in the area go to grade school at the school there and by bus to Lexington for high school.

Descendants of Judge William Green and Joanna Reeder. My GGGGGGrandfather and Mother.

Jeremiah Green

Richard Green

Benjamin Franklin Green

John Bunyan Green

Della Green and William ( Bill ) Peek. My maternal grandparents.

Read what others had to say:
Glenn Chandler - Sep 15, 2007   Edit | Delete | Viewers | Reply to this item

I am interested in learning more about this Green line and to find out if my mother's family descends from
any of these. Going back from the present, my mother was Kathleen Green Chandler,b. 1912 in Calhoun
Co., AL; d. Dec 28, 2004 in Calhoun Co, AL. Her father was James Thomas Green, Jr., b. dec 5, 1849 in
GA and d. may 28, 1927 in Calhoun Co, AL. His father was James Thomas Green, Sr, b ca. 1818 in North
Carolina, and died in the 1850's in Calhoun Co., AL. He was living in Buncombe Co, NC in the 1820's and
1830"s. He married Ruah Dale, whose family moved from Buncombe Co, NC to Benson Co., AL (later
renamed Calhoun Co), sometime in the 1830's and they were living in Benson Co, AL by the 1840's after
passing through Kentucky where their first child was born.

If you have information about James Thomas Green, Sr please contact me at gchandler2@austin.rr.com

Thanks,
B. Glenn Chandler

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AnetMoore 13 Feb 2003 8:03AM GMT 
gmslaughter 23 Jun 2005 9:20PM GMT 
anet moore 27 Jun 2005 5:07AM GMT 
bgc4242 16 Sep 2007 9:15PM GMT 
cherokeetrade... 23 Jan 2012 4:51PM GMT 
seabee84 20 Jun 2013 8:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions