Search for content in message boards

SLAVE info - GREEN(E) Folk Please Share

Replies: 24

The Green(e) Family ancestry

Dr. Harold L.Aubrey (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2000 7:30AM GMT
My name is Harold L.Aubrey. I seek to share and continue to piece together as much information concerning ancestry as possible. One of my maternal great great grandfathers was named Richard 'Dick" Green(e). On the 1870 census he was a listed as a farmer in Anderson County, Texas. The census record indicated that he had been born in Virginia. His age at the time was 34. Therefore he apparently was born around 1836. The farm where he was living was as part of a former plantation that was owned by Col. Henry Clay Swanson. After slavery edned Col.Swanson deeded smaller portions of the plantation to some of his former slaves. He also set aside a plot of land for a cemetary. Grandpa Dick and his wife (Nicey Jane Johnson Green) are buried there. Grandpa Dick died in 1916. Grandma Nellie died in 1919. Apparently, Grandpa Dick come to Anderson County by way of Tennessee. They referred to his farm as Tennessee. Also there was a large group of white families who came to East Texas from Tennessee and settle in what is now Anderson County. In fact there is an old community that is called Tennessee Colony. The conty seat is Palestine. I was born in Palestine. I grew up learning much information about those fore parents. Also, I have been given document by decendants of Col. Swanson's family such as land records and a copy of his 1906 will. Col. Swanson was a native of Virginia (Pittsylvania County). He and his brother came to Anderson county around 1855 and purchased more than 8,000 acres from the county probate court. The land was a part of the estate of Mickam Main. In addition, they purchased land from the estate of E.H. Smith. I write Green(e) in this maner because the 1870 census spells it "Greene" all subsequent records spells it "Green". I have amassed musch informtion since I began collection documents, interviewing older relatives, and searching census records, probate records, etc. In 1986. large family reunion was held in Anderson County that called the Richard and Nicey Jane Johnson Green reunion. More than 500 decesdants of their 13 children came. The children were Limma, Cora(Jones), Emma(Gower), James Ellison, Sylvester, Martha(Phillips, Jowers-my great grand mother and the fir child born after the end of slavery, Henry, Eugene (Swanson, Thomas), Beatrice(Woodards,Beason,Wright), Eva(Smith), Octivia(Frazier), Juila(Floyd) and Jon Ben. There are is only one group of descendant who still carry the Greeen name. They are descendants of Uncle Henry Green. I look forward to hearing from anyone who cares to correspond and share information concerning the Green(e) ancestry
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
andiedad 27 Feb 2000 10:13AM GMT 
Dr. Harold L.Aubrey 9 Mar 2000 2:30PM GMT 
JSchilling360... 10 Mar 2000 3:45PM GMT 
andiedad 14 Dec 2000 4:59PM GMT 
andiedad 21 Mar 2000 4:14AM GMT 
Priscilla 27 Nov 2000 3:38AM GMT 
AngelaClark34... 29 Nov 2000 3:13PM GMT 
jamett1 24 Oct 2002 4:53PM GMT 
pritchet1 17 Mar 2000 8:19PM GMT 
Ron Hanks 12 Jul 2001 10:28PM GMT 
per page