Search for content in message boards

If your Greer DNA haplogroup is "I1" and any other letter, Contact Me!!!

Replies: 23

Re: If your Greer DNA haplogroup is "I1" and any other letter, Contact Me!!!

Posted: 5 Jun 2011 4:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Greer, Grierson, MacGregor
Mr Terry,
I believe I have established beyond doubt that the M222 SNP Greers from the USA who have submitted to DNA testing are, with one exception, descendants of a member of the family of Grierson of Lag. It follows that any Greer who tested I1 is not a descendant (in the male line) of the Lag family.

I will shortly (probably mid June) be publishing an updated chart on our website, and will advertise it when I do. In it you will see the three separate lines of Greer (Scots, Irish, Viking), and within each group it is possible to see family relationships.

It is an unfortunate fact that some will be disappointed in the outcomes of DNA testing, because beliefs long held in a family can be disproved. In my case, I was taught to believe in the MacGregor genetic relationship with respect to the Griersons. This relationship does not now, and never has existed. Indeed, Grierson is as old a name as MacGregor, which was first recorded at the end of the 14th Century.

I'll post again as soon as the results for the 111 marker testing are in.
David Grierson in Melbourne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ralph Terry 13 May 2011 7:36PM GMT 
bryan godfrey 13 May 2011 7:53PM GMT 
grierson1 5 Jun 2011 10:18AM GMT 
r2larson 25 May 2012 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions