Search for content in message boards

Greer from round Glasgow

Replies: 8

Re: Greer from round Glasgow

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Greer, Dalton
G'day Jack
after many years of research plus trips to Ireland and Scotland I am no closer to my Jane Greer's birth place or parentage. All I have to go on are her convict records where I estimate Jane was born around 1820 in maybe Glasgow area Scotland. Jane was living in Armagh Co Ireland and working as a child's maid when she was convicted in 1837 and transported to The Colony of New South Wales. Jane married Irish convict Mathew Dalton here and they had a large family in NSW.
Jane died in a suburb of Sydney, NSW in 1892 age 74 and her Scottish son in law was the informant stating Jane was born in Ireland and her parents names were Ralph Greer and Martha Lauder - this is something I am unable to validate.
Matthew is a name that runs through many generations of my Dalton family. I had always thought the Matthew was out of respect for the convict Matthew Dalton the man Jane Greer married and had never considered that Jane's father or brother may have been named Matthew as well. Martha is a female name that appears in a few generations.
All food for thought, isn't it?
My grandfather used to tell me a story about some of our family going to north America and some came to Australia and others coming to Aust via Nth America and I have never been able to confirm this, so it remains a 'family story' for now
The other snippet I do find most interesting is an annotation on Jane Greer's convict records. It notes Jane's cousin, Samuel Moffit, was a convict in NSW. Samuel was convicted in Co Down about 7 years before Jane was convicted in Armagh. Samuel's convict records say he's a native of Ayrshire Scotland. Samuel is noted on the Co Down convicts website but I have not found any further info on Samuel either.
One day we may crack this mystery and may find Jane had brothers who went to North America. The search goes on and on!
Happy hunting Gerri
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gerri_Dalton 27 Dec 2012 1:36AM GMT 
gayleclutter 28 Dec 2012 4:44PM GMT 
Gerri_Dalton 28 Dec 2012 10:00PM GMT 
gayleclutter 28 Dec 2012 11:26PM GMT 
Gerri_Dalton 29 Dec 2012 12:02AM GMT 
jackreidy 17 Jan 2013 6:42PM GMT 
Gerri_Dalton 19 Jan 2013 12:48AM GMT 
Gerri_Dalton 19 Jan 2013 12:53AM GMT 
jackreidy 19 Jan 2013 3:02AM GMT 
per page