Search for content in message boards

Gross family members from Massachusettes to Virginia and Kentucky

Replies: 43

Re: Gross family members from Massachusettes to Virginia and Kentucky

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 3:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: le Gros,Tyndale,Yelverton,Taylor
Hi Barry This is really helpful as I have a DNA match to the Tyndale family and I am also descended from Sir Oliver le Gros of Norfolk. You are one generation out by dates. Joan Agnes (Ann) le Gros was born around 1415. She was the daughter of sir Oliver le Gros Sheriff of Norfolk in 1405 to 1419. He was born in Crostwick,Norfolk, the son of Sir Oliver the elder and Elizabeth Tudenham, who lived around 1340 to 1390. Sir Oliver the younger married Joan Brewse and Joan White, who was the mother of his children, who were born around 1405 to 1415. He fought with distinction at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, leading a company of archers in the force belonging to the Duke of Sussex, his second cousin via the Fellbrigg Bigod family.
Sir Oliver le Gros the younger died in 1436 and his tomb has been located, including his arms which are blue and yellow (not black white and red !). He mentioned Joan Agnes le Gros in his Will. Her husband Sir William Yelverton was the Chief Justice of Norfolk from about 1430 to 1460. There is a brass rubbing of him showing Joan Agnes le Gros. A later brass rubbing shows Joan Agnes and his second wife. The armour he wears in the two brass rubbings shows a definite progression from the pre gunpowder era around 1425 to the later part of the Wars of the Roses, when guns became available, so his armour is lighter. His second wife wears clothing similar to Tudor clothing, whereas Joan Agnes le Gros looks more medieval in appearance circa 1430.
The lands left to Joan Agnes le Gros were disputed by the neighbouring monastery and a third party in 1438, leading to a court case presided over by two officials representing the Duke of Lancaster, including Sir John Paxton.
The Gross family were involved in trading precious metals well before 1450 (William Gross of Kelsale), and were associates of William Caxton and the great printing houses of Antwerp led by the Van Soldt ,Van Merlen, Van Ghils and Van der Linde families. These families were very active during the Reformation and had to flee into exile in London from 1530. My branch of the Gross family were the ship owners and merchant branch of the family, and they married into these families. I have DNA matches to them.
Given all the family and business connections to the Continent there was a natural progression of the Tyndale and Gross families into the printing business, and of course they produced translations of various ancient manuscripts such as the Bible. The first English translation was actually done by Van Merlen of Antwerp in 1480, but it was so bad that King Edward IV asked for the translation by English scholars, which was completed by Sir William Tyndale. The later le Gros family remained active in the printing and newspaper businesses in Fleet Street ,London from 1520 until at least 1850.
Crostwick manor was abandoned around 1520 when the last heir Oliver le Gros moved to London and became involved in printing. My branch of the family (Thomas and Robert Gross) operated their ships out of Great Yarmouth and Cornwall. The Kelsale Gross family from Suffolk (John Gross) are cousins of my family by DNA and are mentioned in the Will of my ancestor Thomas Gross of Great Yarmouth (1485 to1555). The Kelsale Gross family were involved in the wool industry and traded in Belgium. Some of them moved from Suffolk to Cornwall around 1600,then to Massachusetts USA in 1636. (Isaac Gross), however there are still descendants living in Cornwall,Suffolk and Norfolk, England. Once they reached USA they branched out into three main families (Isaac,William and Clement).
The documents are all in my tree. Hope this helps
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barry96 30 May 2014 6:20PM GMT 
Janet Gross 9 Jun 2014 9:41AM GMT 
TGross55 17 Jul 2012 11:47PM GMT 
Kennith_Simps... 9 Aug 2013 10:46AM GMT 
TGross55 9 Aug 2013 4:28PM GMT 
Kennith_Simps... 9 Aug 2013 5:12PM GMT 
TGross55 9 Aug 2013 9:41PM GMT 
Kennith_Simps... 10 Aug 2013 3:49PM GMT 
TGross55 10 Aug 2013 6:26PM GMT 
Kennith_Simps... 10 Aug 2013 3:52PM GMT