Search for content in message boards

Katherine GROSSE m. Capt. Burns Maryland ~1800

Replies: 0

Katherine GROSSE m. Capt. Burns Maryland ~1800

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 11:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GROSSE GROCE DEGROSSE CARTER BURNS TUCKER TILGHMAN
I am searching for information on the family of Katherine GROSSE who according to family records married a Captain BURNS (first name unknown) probably around 1800.

The only definite information I have been able to track down is that she appears in the 1850 census as "Catherine BURNS" in ward 6 of Baltimore Maryland where she is listed as age 76, which would put her birth date as about 1774.

Her daughter Mary Ann BURNS married John H. TUCKER in 1829 and Catherine/Katherine is living with them in 1850.

I have found no connection to either the Pennsylvania GROSS families or the western Maryland GROSS families.

My instinct says that there is a connection to Roger GROSSE/GROCE/DEGROSSE (b. 21 Dec 1616) b. England, immig. 1637, who received a land grant in 1658 for Gross’ Coate, Talbot Co., MD. I have not found any proof of such a connection.

Gross' Coate subsequently became property of the TILGHMAN family, and there is a connection between the TILGHMAN family and a Richard CARTER of Talbot Co., MD. Our family tree also has an Ann Trumble CARTER (married 19 Nov 1805 in Baltimore Co., MD to John TUCKER, immigrant, father of John H. TUCKER, above).

Any information about any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic