Search for content in message boards

Looking for my grandfather's ancesters (Maine)

Replies: 6

Re: Gross in Maine

Posted: 2 May 2012 6:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gross Hopkins Ryan
Last August, 2011, I corresponded thru the ancestry.com messages with Carolyn Lipska, whom I believe is your sister. She confirmed that Mamie Ryan, your grandmother was married to Eugene W Gross.
Mamie Ryan was the daughter of Captain Lewis Ryan and his wife Martha Hopkins, thus the connection to my Hopkins tree.
Martha's father was Spencer Hopkins, who left Maine in the 1840's for the Mexican War, only to die of yellow fever in New Orleans, where he is buried.
Spencer was the son of Dt Theophilus Hopkins, a Revolutionary War surgeon who moved to ME after the War, with Martha Spencer, his last wife. He had 4 wives, and 17 children. He was from Cape Cod, and was a direct descendant of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower voyages.
My tree says you are the 8th great granddaughter of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower!
Now, as to your Gross ancestry...Eugene's W in his name was no doubt for Wooster, as his father was Captain Samuel Gross, who married Mercy Wooster Smith, daughter of a well known shipping master out of Owl's Head ME, Wooster Smith.
I feel strongly that Samuel Gross is somehow related to Edward Trueworthy Gross and wife Irene Treat, who had children named Eugene and Edmund. He lived in Orland, Hancock County ME, where many Gross families lived, all up from Cape Cod, esp Truro. More on this later. Have you learned any more? I will be writing Carolyn as well later this week, as time is tight for me at work this week.
Cousins Always, Dr bill Hopkins
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ben Gross 12 May 2000 11:11AM GMT 
Patricia Smith 24 May 2000 8:28PM GMT 
Emily Gross 26 May 2000 7:25PM GMT 
Cindy_Beane 15 Feb 2010 12:28AM GMT 
doch609wph 2 May 2012 12:58PM GMT 
vsimmerman 28 Sep 2012 7:19AM GMT 
CHINTON71 29 Jul 2010 2:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions