Search for content in message boards

Clan Gunn Chief needed; John Gunn in Dalnaha, Stathmore and Braehour.

Replies: 5

Clan Gunn Chief needed; John Gunn in Dalnaha, Stathmore and Braehour.

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gunn, Dalnaha, Starthmore, Braehour, Canada, Australia, Manitoba,, Hon. Donald Gunn Manitoba
There is a plan afoot to overthrow centuries of tradition and convert the current Commander of the Clan Gunn into its Chief. Now, the Commander is a lovely man and he worked very hard for the Clan Gunn (and its society) for many years; but that is why he is the Commander (it's a sort of Honorary Chief) as the Clan Gunn does not have a Chief. Chief is a matter of bloodline.

But his claim on bloodlines is very weak; he descends from the old Chief line TWICE through the female line. My family tree is better than his; my male line is longer and I descend once through females.

But

1) Females can only become the Chiefly line when all other male lines are extinct. On my family tree where I have John Gunn of Dalnaha, Strathmore and Braehour b 1722 Halkirk m. Marjory/ May Dunbar of Hempriggs b c 1728 married 1745 Watten Parish with descendants Alexander b 1745, Jean b c 1749, Angus Gunn in Braehour b c 1750 marries Elizabeth Matheson, George Gunn in Braehour b c 1757 marries Margaret Gunn, William Gunn in Braehour b 1750 d 1812 marries Janet Sinclair 1780 1870 and whose children include Hon. Donald Gunn of Manitoba (come on Canada; you can do this!!) and William Gunn of Waranga in Australia, John Gunn of Braehour and Ontario, and others (I have left out the female descendants overall)... My estimate, using my incomplete tree is that there are at least 40 potential male Gunn lines, any one of which could provide an interesting claim to be Chief.

So, get checking your tree, if you can link back to John Gunn of Braehour through the male line then you might be the Chief!

2) On this site I have also found descendants from Captain Alexander Gunn, in particular from the daughter Catherine Innes Gunn. That line is better than my line as it has one further generation of male descendants. And I have been told that my claim is better than the Commander's.

So, read about how they are thinking of being silly; see The Court of the Lord Lyon at http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/736.html

and if anyone want to complain about the idea of ignoring tradition and converting a Commander into a Chief (and remember it's for his line forever!!) email lyonoffice@scotland.gsi.gov.uk and complain to the Clan Gunn society at http://www.clangunnsociety.org/contact.html

But get moving,we have to stop this idea.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
awgunn1 28 Feb 2012 9:48AM GMT 
kay liney 28 Feb 2012 7:59PM GMT 
awgunn1 15 Aug 2012 8:43PM GMT 
awgunn1 16 Jul 2012 7:57PM GMT 
awgunn1 16 Jul 2012 7:57PM GMT 
awgunn1 25 Nov 2012 5:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic