Search for content in message boards

Hafford/Bales Family of Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

Replies: 0

Hafford/Bales Family of Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HAFFORD, BALES, BAILES
I'm researching the family of Alfred & Hannah (Hafford) Bales of Marysburgh North in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada. The family first appears in the 1861 census:

Alfred Bales, born England, age 23
Hannah Bales, born Upper Canada, age 23
Henry Bales, born Upper Canada, age 3
Delia Bales, born Upper Canada, age 2

Not able to find a record of their marriage in any published or online source.

In the 1871 census, they're still in the same location with a larger family:

Alfred Bailes (spelling is correct), age 32, born England, labourer, Church of England
Anna Bailes, age 32, born Ontario
John H. Bailes, age 14, ditto
Adelia Bailes, age 12, ditto
Anna Bailes, age 11, ditto
Alexander Bailes, age 9, ditto
Albert Bailes, age 6, ditto
Emily Bailes, age 2, ditto

It appears that they are members of the Church of England but there are no Anglican records for this time period online.

The family last appears in the 1881 census an has grown again, still living in Waupoos, Maryborough North, Prince Edward County:

Alford Bales, age 49, born England, English ancestry, religion Church of England, occupation farmer
Hannah Bales, age 42, born Ontario, German ancestry
John Bales, age 23, born Ontario
Annie Bales, age 19, born Ontario
Alexander Bales, age 17, born Ontario
Albert Bales, age 15, born Ontario
William Bales, age 10, born Ontario
Emily Bales, age 13 born Ontario
Arthur Bales, age 8, born Ontario
George Bales, age 5, born Ontario
Ellen Bales, age 5 months (born November 1880)

The only one of the family that I've been able to find a marriage and death record is their son, Alexander Bales, who married Ida May McDonald in 1889 at Belleville, Ontario. They had once son together (Archie Elmor Bales) and Alexander committed suicide 19 Dec 1925 in Hastings County, Ontario.

Archie Bales married and moved to Southern California in 1920 and his father traveled with him but returned to Canada. Archie became a successful publisher.

I've spent dozens of hours trying to find anything about Alfred and Hannah (Hafford) Bales or any of their children. Only four of their children's births were registered (two were stillborn registrations) and that was the source of Hannah's maiden name.

The entire family disappears in the 1891-1911 Canadian censuses. There are two other Hannah Bales but was was Roman Catholic and the other's maiden name was Morgan. No death registrations or marriages for any of their other children. No emigration from Canada to the US that I can find. They just drop out of sight.

If you know something of this family, please let me know.
Thank you!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions