Search for content in message boards

Francis Marion Hale's son "Jehu" - Indian in Blackwater, Franklin County, Virginia?

Replies: 6

Francis Marion Hale's son "Jehu" - Indian in Blackwater, Franklin County, Virginia?

Posted: 10 May 2010 12:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Dec 2011 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hale, Reynolds, Callaway, Turner
I am looking for the death certificate or any evidence of the death of Jehu Hale born in Franklin County, VA between 1844 and 1845. He was the son of Nancy Leffew daughter of Thomas whose father Elias belonged to free people of color from Rockingham, North Carolina. Her grandmother on her mother's side was supposed to be named Quigley.

I am curious if this Jehu is my father's great grandfather Jake. Jehu was a common name for "Jake" and Jacob at that time. My Jake was supposedly mainly Indian ("Blackfoot" or and Shawnee) but also a descendant of the white Hale family. (Sometimes they call him a Cherokee.) He looked "like Cochese" according to his granddaughter, my aunt Imogene and was a medicine person as were his descendants. He wore his hair long and stayed in the woods a lot usually with little clothes on eating snakes and making belts from them. They call him "wild".

His family is said to have lived in a place reserved for "Indians" either in Virginia or later on in Bluefield, West Virginia for a while.

Connected surnames are Reynolds, Calaway, Turner.

Jacob worked in some kind of distillery or mill for a while. His daughter Sarah said they were from the "Blackfoot" who had come up originally from South Carolina.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
zoealegra123 10 May 2010 6:07PM GMT 
Christie_Lill... 15 Oct 2011 10:36PM GMT 
zoealegra123 16 Oct 2011 5:04PM GMT 
somersetsquaw 17 Mar 2013 7:44PM GMT 
zoealegra123 17 Mar 2013 8:06PM GMT 
zoealegra123 17 Mar 2013 9:25PM GMT 
somersetsquaw 17 Mar 2013 10:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions