Search for content in message boards

Haley's in Bourbon, Pendleton and Harrison Counties Ky

Replies: 70

Haley's in Bourbon, Pendleton and Harrison Counties Ky

Posted: 18 Sep 2010 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
This might be long and I will apologize ahead of time. I have just returned from spending a week in these three counties and going thru records. I was looking for records for Marsh Haley, Katie Titwit, Absolom Haley, Joseph Sowder Haley, George Washington Sowder Haley, Mary Elizabeth Porter, Betsy Sowder and Sarah Connors Jones. I only had a paper to go on from my great Uncle Shirley, son of James Haley, son of Joseph Haley in which he said that Marsh Haley and Katie Titwit came from Ireland and that Absolom Haley was their son. I went to Kentucky knowing that Absolom was the father of George Washington Haley and Joseph Sowder Haley and Besty Sowder was their mother. That Joseph went by the Sowder name, most of the time and George by the Haley name. I knew that James Haley went by Sowder in Kentucky and Haley in Indiana and married Cordila Haley and they had nine children, one of which was my grandfather, Morton Haley. I have never found anything on Marsh or Katie. Thus the trip to Kentucky. I read paper after paper and went thru Edward Barton microfishe and this is what I have found. Absolom and Betsy never married and for some reason she left him and moved with four children to a 1200 acre farm she bought on Crooked Creek around Berry, Ky., apparently she did marry John Conyers and had two sons. George died on this farm and is buried next to it [we looked for it and could not find the cemetery, am going back when it is colder, it looked snakey there] per Joesph Jefferson Sowder, Joseph's son.
On a paper in the Barton files Joe Jeff Sowder who lived in Boyd on Feb.8, 1938 list the name Haley and list them as 1. Marsh lived at Shawhau Sta.[could mean Station],2.Abner, which is what everyone called Absolom, 3. Fannie, who lived at Shawhau Sta., never married but had a daughter named Josie who married John Smith of Bourbon County, 4. Nancy who also lived at Shawhau Sta., she also never married. So now I know that Marsh Haley really existed. If anyone has any information on Marsh, Katie, or anyone else or can help me by telling me where Shawhau Station is I would appreicate it. Thanks
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joyce3152 19 Sep 2010 1:53AM GMT 
amyberight 5 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT 
Joyce3152 5 Jul 2012 9:48PM GMT 
marcrigby36 17 Jul 2012 7:59PM GMT 
Joyce3152 18 Jul 2012 1:01AM GMT 
marcrigby36 18 Jul 2012 2:30AM GMT 
Joyce3152 18 Jul 2012 4:27AM GMT 
marcrigby36 18 Jul 2012 4:37AM GMT 
SandySimpson7... 18 Jul 2012 1:02PM GMT 
marcrigby36 18 Jul 2012 2:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions