Search for content in message boards

John William Hames Family VA to DeKalb Co,TN to KY/AR/MO/OK

Replies: 0

John William Hames Family VA to DeKalb Co,TN to KY/AR/MO/OK

Posted: 17 May 2010 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for any and all information on the Hames family of DeKalb County, TN. Here's what I know:
My great great great grandpa Richard Hames was born in DeKalb County in about 1843. He fought in the 35th (aka 5th) Tennessee infantry in the Civil War and was discharged shortly after the Battle of Perryville due to a knee wound he sustained several months earlier at Shiloh. On May 31, 1867, he married Celia Caroline McGowan of White County in Wilson County, with the Rev. Samuel T. Alsup (missionary baptist) presiding. He may also have married a Louisa Jane Bachus in 1865 in front of a J.P. By 1870, he had relocated with Celia to Kentucky.

Unfortunately, there is no Richard Hames or any variation thereof listed in the census for 1850 or 1860. I have theorized that Richard may be the same person as Alexander Hames, son of John William Hames, who was born about the same time. Both Richard and Alexander were also sons of a Virginia-born father and a Tennessee-born mother. John William lived on Holmes Creek in DeKalb county on a rented farm. John William appears to be the son of Joshua Hames, who also lived in DeKalb county and who was likely born in Amelia County, Virginia in about 1779. John William died sometime after the 1880 census, at which point he was apparently a hired hand on a farm in Wilson County.

I am interested to know the maiden name of Alexander's mother, Sarah. She was born c. 1819 in Tennessee and died between about 1854 and 1856, when John William remarried to Nancy Pack. I expect that Sarah was probably a member of one of the other families that lived along Holmes Creek, which included Cantrell, Fuson, Taylor, Pack, Hayes, and various other surnames. They were almost certainly married in one of the counties in the vicinity of DeKalb, probably in about 1837, as their first son, Joshua, was born in about 1838. I can't seem to find a record of their marriage on Ancestry.com's Tennessee marriage collection, though.

I have only found one branch of the family so far that remained in DeKalb County- that of John William's son William, whose youngest two (twin) sons Charlie and Hershal both lived in DeKalb County apparently all their lives (1897-1973/79). That branch of the family, as well as mine which moved to Kentucky and then Arkansas, ended up spelling the name Haynes. I know Charlie had at least two daughters named Freda and Frances. Not sure if or whom they married. Hershal had daughters named Willa and Louise, but I also don't much more about them. Hershal's girls were born in the early 20s and Charlie's in the late 20s.

I know other branches of the family currently live in the Arkansas-Missouri-Oklahoma tri-state area. I certainly haven't accounted for all the kids of John William yet, though.

Any help increasing my knowledge of any of these people or their ancestors or descendants would be much, much appreciated!

Dan Culp

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions