Search for content in message boards

Hamilton, Edington, Berry connection - family myth

Replies: 2

Hamilton, Edington, Berry connection - family myth

Posted: 15 Jan 2006 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamilton, Edington, Berry
My father's mother was Catherine (Kate) H. Edington; she was the daughter of Mary Ann Hamilton and Jacob Edington (son of Isaac N. Edington and Elizabeth Eicholbarger). I am trying to discover Mary Ann Hamilton's family roots.

This is a little confusing...my grandaunt, Millie Pairan, remarked to me once or twice that our family line had an Indian female in it; her family had been native to Buckeye Lake area, going back several generations, prior to whites coming to Ohio. She spoke of this woman as though she had seen her herself, perhaps in (Millie's) childhood years. She recalled that she had the same color "flint grey eyes" (hazel?) that I have, was medium complexsion, with black hair, and eventhough she'd grown up as a white woman, had retained the habit of sitting cross-legged on the floor, ground, or even on a couch when she would visit at someone's home or at her own home.... I've reason to believe this was my ggm Mary Ann (Hamilton) Edington, one reason being she told me that I was about 1/8th American Indian, but she did not know what tribe. Another time Millie told me about my ancestor who was a "Cabbage, Cabbott, or Abbott" surname and was English or Irish descent and had come to Ohio from PA.....she met and married an Englishman by the name of Hamilton, they fell in love, married and had children...I don't know what state for certain their meeting and marriage took place, but I tend to believe it was PA, or the territory in OH that belonged to PA. Anyways, Hamilton "went off to fight in the Indian Wars" helping to move the Indians out of Ohio. Following one of the battles, Hamilton found an Indian girl (a toddler, I believe) and he could not find her mother and decided to take the child home to his wife. They named her after their own daughter, who was either very ill and dying, had recently died, or had been a stillborn, or some such thing...they raised her as their own daughter and she grew up and married a whiteman in Ohio.

Does anyone of Hamilton descent, English, have an ancestor from PA who fought in Indian Wars in Ohio?
Is there a similar "family myth" in your family about an ancestor who adopted a female Indian child and raised her as a member of their family? His spouse would have the surname of Cabbage, Cabbott, or Abbott, and she would have been from the "PA Dutch"
areas of PA and may have migrated to Ohio in the early 1800's and died there, in the area now known as Buckeye Lake?

If this story "rings a bell" for you, please contact me so we may exchange information. I have photographs of Mary Ann Hamilton Edington's grave marker, her husband's, Jacob Edington, their young son, Idaho Edington, and Jacob's father (Isaac N. Edington) and his mother Elizabeth (Eicholbargar) Edington. I also have photos of my grandmother, Catherine (Kate or Haddie) Edington Berry, her husband (William Elijah Berry) and their children; that I would be happy to share.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kem_jem 15 Jan 2006 10:44PM GMT 
TCRAIL 16 Jan 2007 2:28AM GMT 
kem_jem 17 Jan 2007 5:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions