Search for content in message boards

Hamills of Tennessee

Replies: 15

Re: Hamills of Tennessee

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
...sorry didn't finish... My name is Lynda Hamill Johnson. I grew up in Kingston, TN and visited my grandparents frequently. My husband and I live near Augusta, GA in Hephzibah. I have a brother Mike Hamill in Kingston and a sister Debbie Hamill Hemond in Greeneville, TN. Milo married Adeline Gertrude Hmmble of the Humbles of So. Pittsburg. Her brother Milt was the firechief for many years and the firetruck is still named after him. Her brother Jim was a pharmasist and had a drug store on the main street. Milo and Adeline had two children, Loise and Charles William, my dad. They lived in that house all of my dad's life. Milo owned a resturaunt on the main street of So. Pittsburg during the Depression. He was so generous with those who could not pay that he wound up going out of business. Later he was employed with the TVA and didn't retire until his 70's. My dad went to Univ. of Chattanooga. He was a high school and college football star and later after serving in the Marines during WWII he returned to coach football for several years at SPHS. His team was undefeated and untied for 2 years 1949 and 1950, a record that may still be held. When i was about 3 he would let mother and me sit on the bench during games. My granddad is a decendent of a David Hamill from Belfast, Ireland. Recently, my husband Jack and I stopped in So. Pittsburg and had lunch at the Italian resturaunt there. I talked with the owner to see if he knew any history of his building, thinking that it may have been my Grandad's old resturaunt. He introduced me to the mayor who was having lunch there, too. The mayor knew all able my Grandad and Dad. He even made a point of telling me that his dad thought my dad was the best player ever at SPHS. Another tidbit...my grandmother, Adeline taught violin at the home and at the high school, too. I am sorry for my ramblings and that these details are not exactly in the order they occured but I hope this has been of interest. My phone number is 706-699-6543 if you would like to know more. I do not have any original photos of the house, but lots of pictures were taken as we visited and grew up playing in the yard under the pecan tree and tulip poplar tree. We played croquet in the yard, threw the football and hit a baseball around. We loved exploring the cellar, climbing the "secret stairway" leading up from the kitchen to the upstairs. There was also another "secret passageway" leading from the end bedroom upstairs to the next bedroom. My dad slept in the bedroom facing the street upstairs and his older sister, Louise slept in the other one. She married her college sweetheart, Powell McWhirter. They moved to Clearwater, FL and raised 6 children.
My dad inherited the house when my grandad died about 1983. He sold it after a couple of years to a family by the name of Hankey (?). The mayor told me there was a new owner now. I left a small note on the front door when we were there last.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SJSimpson68 20 Jun 2012 11:15PM GMT 
lyndaj1956 28 Jun 2012 1:13AM GMT 
SJSimpson68 30 Jun 2012 2:03PM GMT 
lyndaj1956 5 Jul 2012 6:25AM GMT 
lyndaj1956 28 Jun 2012 1:25AM GMT 
nightowl09 23 Jan 2012 8:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions