Search for content in message boards

Lillian Hammitt - Philadelphia - Thomas Eakins student

Replies: 1

Lillian Hammitt - Philadelphia - Thomas Eakins student

Posted: 8 Mar 2009 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hammitt, Clouser, Wetzel, Unkle, Eakins
Attached is the famous painting "Girl in a Big Hat" by famous Realist artist Thomas Eakins. The subject is my ggg-aunt, Lillian G. Hammitt (b. 1865), who was an 18-year-old art student of Eakins at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia. She became very famous for running up and down the streets of Philly in her bathing costume in a deluded, manic state and telling people she was married to Mr. Eakins. She was committed to a Philadelphia-area mental hospital, where she eventually died. She probably suffered from what we now know as bipolar schizoaffective disorder during an era of limited medications, services, and empathy. Several books about Eakins have special chapters on Lillian, one chapter called "The Insanity of Lillian Hammitt."

Lillian was the daughter of Mary Ellen Wetzel Hammitt and Thomas Jefferson Hammitt of Philadelphia. Her sister was Mary Ellen Hammitt (the younger), and her brother was my gg-gf, Dr. Charles Jefferson Hammitt. Her maternal grandparents were Mary Magdalene Clouser Wetzel and George Wetzel. If anyone has any information on the parents/family of Thomas Jefferson Hammitt, a machinist (rictualler) by trade in Philly, please let me know ASAP. I have hit too many roadblocks in this lineage.

Thanks, and enjoy the painting!

Suzanne Hammitt
Dothan, Alabama
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Suzanne_Hammi... 8 Mar 2009 7:46AM GMT 
1_rrhoads 27 Dec 2011 5:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions