Search for content in message boards

Two Different HANRAHAN Families of Galway

Replies: 1

Two Different HANRAHAN Families of Galway

Posted: 5 Nov 2011 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2012 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Murphy, Gilmore, MacDonough, Raftery, Rafferty, Goode, Goade, Dowling, Hanrahan-Gilmore
This may get somewhat confusing as I've just discovered it.

For a few years I have had my ancestor's will and had no luck locating some people he mentioned. Not long ago I located the estate records over the settling of the estate and was able to finally start finding people.

Thomas Hanrahan was born about December 1844 in Ireland to Thomas Hanrahan and Bridget Murphy. He died in Brooklyn, NY March 1912. In his will he mentioned a brother Michael Hanrahan, residing Galway, Ireland and a sister Mrs. Mary Gilmore who I discovered lived in Butte, Montana. She had married a man named Timothy Gilmore. Thomas also mentioned "Mary Hanrahan, cousin, wife of John Hanrahan" (see below). There was also another sister Bridget who married a MacDonough in Butte. I have not been able to locate anything further about either of them and she was not mentioned in Thomas' will.

John Hanrahan and Mary Raftery/Rafferty were married in 1889 in Butte, Montana. He was the son of Michael Hanrahan and Anne Goode/Goade. Mary was the daughter of Edmond/Edward Raftery/Rafferty and Mary Hanrahan. Both said they were born in Galway county Ireland. I have a small amount of information on John and Mary if interested. After the birth of their son they moved from Montana to New York and remained there.

Michael Hanrahan and Anne Goode/Goade had the following children (not in birth order):
John, above
Patt, male, born 8 January 1871, baptized Eyrecourt, Galway, Ireland
Celia, female, born 13 April 1876, baptized Kiltagour, Galway, Ireland
Michael, male, born 16 July 1878, baptized Kiltagour, Galway, Ireland
Margaret- female, born 28 October 1880 baptized Kiltagour, Galway, Ireland
Bridget, female, born 1 August 1868, baptized Eyrecourt, Galway, Ireland
Hanoria, female, born 6 December 1865, baptized Eyrecourt, Galway, Ireland
Anne T, female, born 24 December 1873, baptized Eyrecourt, Galway, Ireland. Married Michael F Dowling in NYC 25 November 1903
Mary, female, born 31 March 1863, married John Gilmore in NYC. They also lived in Montana. Due to the Gilmore/Hanrahan link I have collected a little about their family if interested.
William, living in Brooklyn, NY in 1944 according to Mary Hanrahan-Gilmore's obituary

Edmond/Edward Raftery/Rafferty and Mary Hanrahan had the following children that I could locate. All were born in Kiltormer, Galway, Ireland:
Mary, born 3 February 1865
Martin, born 12 November 1868
Thomas, born 28 July 1871
Bridget, born 10 May 1874

The way he worded his will the wife of Raftery/Rafferty may have been an aunt of Thomas, Michael, Mary and Bridget. I'm not sure if the other Hanrahan family is related though am interested to know if they are. If anyone knows any information about the above people I would be grateful.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rachel E 5 Nov 2011 9:50PM GMT 
modusa 20 Jan 2012 1:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic