Search for content in message boards

John Hanrahan Sr. and Mary, of Ireland (possibly Galway) - lived in Salford, England

Replies: 0

John Hanrahan Sr. and Mary, of Ireland (possibly Galway) - lived in Salford, England

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hanrahan, Sesnon, Sessnon, Sharkey, Barton, Brady, Dunkley, Dunkerley, Byrne, Ramwell, Delahunty
I am seeking further information for the Irish Hanrahan family that lived in Salford from 1844 onward.

Head of household was John Hanrahan Sr., born abt 1785 in Ireland. He died bet 1854-1857 in Salford. He married prior to 1822 in Ireland. He was a Chelsea Pensioner (an out-pensioner). He and Mary lived on Park Street, Salford, in 1850. On son, William's marriage to Rose Ann, he is listed as deceased in 1857.

His wife, Mary ___________, born about 1801 in Ireland and she died 1862 in Salford, England. She appears on the 1851 Salford census as widowed.

I believe the family came over from Ireland to England about 1845, just after Patrick was born in Galway. I've searched John Hanrahan's in Galway for the time. There are a few Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, for the year 1836 which show:
Name: Jno Hanrahan
County: Galway
Parish: Ballinakill
Townland: Abbey
Year: 1836

I believe his Chelsea Pensioner records might hold some keys.

It is also worth mentioning the entire family was illiterate and the name has been erroneously misspelled unusual ways and frequently were transcribed as Anderson or Henderson instead. I have seen census reports and baptismal certificates for the children listed with names of Henarhan, Heneron, Henneran, Handham, Hannahan, Henrehen, Hamahaw, etc.

Their children:

1. Bridget, born abt 1825 in Ireland - died aft 1852 in Salford. I do not know if she married.

2. Catherine Teresa, born abt 1826 in Ireland - died aft 1881 in Salford. She married John Sharkey (s/o Michael Sharkey and Bridget ___________) 21 Jun 1850 in Salford. They have five children: John, Michael, John Patrick, Joseph and Mary Ann. She is listed as "partly blind" on the 1881 Salford census.

3. Ellen, born abt 1828 Ireland - died aft 1852 Salford. I do not know if she married.

4. Mary, b. abt 1829 Ireland - died aft 1854 Salford (I think possibly in 1857 as there is a possible record). She married James Ramwell (s/o John Ramwell) on 20 Feb 1854 St. Mary's, Eccles, Salford.

5. John, b. abt 1834 Ireland - died Jun 1881 Salford. He married Jane Brady (d/o Francis Brady and Sarah ________) in 1854 Salford. They have one child: William.

6. Michael, b. 1832 Ireland - d. 25 Jun 1898 Manchester. He married first wife, Rose Ann Sesnon (d/o John Sesnon and Catherine ________) on 2 Aug 1857 in Salford. They have five children: Mary, John, Rose Ann, Thomas, Catherine, Ellen. He married second wife, Ann ________ (her married name was Fitzgerald, but that is not her maiden name) in 1885 Salford.

7. Lawrence, b. 1838 Ireland - d. aft 1852 Salford. He married Catharine Byrne in 1857 Manchester. I know of 2 children: Lawrence and William.

8. Anne, b. 1839 Ireland - d. aft 1852 Salford. She married William Barton in 1860 in Chorlton, Manchester.

9. James, b. 1842 Ireland - d. aft 1882 in Salford. He married Margaret Delahunty (d/o John Delahunty and Elizabeth Dowling) in 1866 Salford. They have four children: Elizabeth Mary, John, James, and Margaret Mary.

10. Patrick, b. abt 1844 in Galway, Ireland - d. aft 1911 in Salford. He married first wife, Harriet Armitt (d/o Charles Armitt and Mary Wordley) on 27 Apr 1863 Salford. They have eight children: Mary, Ellen, Wintren, Harriet Ann, Emma, Alice, Agnes, Sarah Elizabeth. He was widowed and married second wife, Catherine Dunkley or Dunkerley (d/o Thomas Dunkley and Mary Ann __________) in 1894 Salford. Her married name at the time was Catherine Lomas from a former marriage to William Lomas. She has no children with Patrick, but seven children from former marriage that Patrick becomes step-father to: Emma, James W., Mary E., Thomas, Alice, Matilda and William Lomas. It is on the 1911 census that Patrick is revealed his birthplace as Galway in 1844 (thus his parents were there too, and he is marked as a resident, not a visitor to Galway).

Hope this info is helpful to other researchers and cousins. I am very interested in finding as much info as possible on this family. I welcome any replies.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions