Search for content in message boards

Hare's in South Carolina, Huguenot?

Replies: 31

Re: Hare's in South Carolina, Huguenot?

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 1:43AM GMT
Classification: Query

I've been looking into Decatur County, Georgia, records and think I've finally figured out where "my" Hairs fit in. Thomas C(ason?), William, and Edmond, Jr. lived 9 households from Elijah in Decatur County in 1830. Between them Thomas C., William and Edmond, Jr. owned something like 186 slaves. Elijah owned 0 slaves, but he had a woman his age, an older woman, and two young male children in his household. The children were the right age to have been my 2-great grandfather John Hair and his brother Jesse Hair. I believe that Thomas C., William and Edmond, Jr. probably inherited the slaves from their mother's family, and that the older woman living with Elijah was his mother, the widow of Edmond, Sr., and stepmother to Thomas C., William, and Edmond, Jr. In other words, I'm saying that I don't think that Elijah's mother was Mary Scott, and that the slaves probably came by inheritance from her family. I've had to do a lot of interpreting of a small amount of fact to come up with this, but that's what I came up with. It's not "proven", but it is an interpretation that seems to fit all of the facts that I can find... though I must say that such facts as are known seem rather soft and mutable.

Jesse and John were in Baker County, Georgia, just north of Decatur County, in 1845. Jesse paid poll tax there that year for two adult free White males, the second one being recorded as "J. Hair".

In 1850 Jesse was still in Baker County and John shows up nowhere on the census of 1850. However, in 1850 he married my 2-great grandmother Eliza E. Butler whose father Levi Butler appeared on the 1830 census for Gadsden County, Florida, and about 1838 had bought 40 acres of federal land west of Concord (often colloquially known as "Coon Bottom") in NE Gadsden County. There is no record of Jesse Hair acquiring land nearby but the Gadsden County courthouse burned in October of 1849 so by inference he acquired the land, about 260 acres that were originally acquired from the federal government by about half a dozen individuals, before October of 1849.

By 1860 John Hair, Eliza, and her widowed step-mother Nancy Butler, were all living in Liberty County which was newly created mostly from the southern portion of Gadsden County. In 1860 Jesse Butler does not appear on a census anywhere. I believe that like John in 1850 when the census-taker missed him, Jesse and his family were living on his land near Concord.

There was another John Hare living in the Gadsden/Liberty County area in that period, and another one passed through during the war. The one who lived there long-term was a son of Raiford / Rayford Hare, who I understand to have been a son of William. He and several other sons of Raiford (Littleberry or Little Berry Hare and Wiley Hare... and the husband of their sister Queen Anne Hare, Owen S. Glen, also served in the 5th Florida Cavalry Battalion during the war, as did Jesse's son George W. Hare. The third John Hair was also a son of Jesse, and he served in the 29th Georgia Cavalry Battalion which organized and trained at Quincy, Gadsden County, Florida, at about the same the 5th Florida Cavalry Battalion was raised and trained in the same general area, though probably mostly in Wakulla County. Jesse had another son, James C. Hair, who served as a sergeant in the 17th Georgia Infantry Regiment until he was wounded late in the war, after which he recuperated for a long time at the Confederate hospital in Quincy, Gadsden County, Florida.

My 2-great grandfather John Hair first enrolled in the 6th Florida Infantry Regiment when it was being organized, in Company A, the Liberty Rangers. But when it was accepted into Confederate service after a month, he was "rejected by the Confederate inspector". John Hair later served in company L of the 1st Florida Reserve Infantry Battalion, along with Elijah Hare. I believe that this Elijah was another son of Raiford Hare. Elijah died during the war, probably from natural causes. Elijah's family later scattered around Jackson County, Florida, and his son Elijah seems to have eventually lived in Alabama.

My 2-great grandfather John Hair's family returned to Gadsden County after the war and lived there till roughly 1886, at which time it appears that Jesse, having in 1868 sold his land in Gadsden County to Norman T. Scott, who later became a state legislator from Gadsden County and signer of Florida's 1885 Constitution. I have found no genealogical information on Norman T. Scott, but presume that he was part of the same Scott family that various Hares and Owens were intermarried into. Jesse was living on that land at the time because in accordance with Florida's laws on homestead property, his wife Diery or Dicey Wilson, was taken aside and examined separately, and separately agreed to sale of the land. Jesse then moved to Decatur County, Georgia, in the Whigham area (now in Grady County) and apparently died there in 1886 or before. I can't find any record of it, but I believe that about 100 acres of Jesse's land there somehow passed to John at that time. At any rate, one of John's sons, John Levi Hare... who was born in Leon County, Florida, in 1858, a half brother of Eliza, George E. Butler, and a half-sister Mary / Carolina / Carrie Newton, were already in the Whigham area by 1880, and most or all of the rest of the family followed them there about 1886. John Hair died there in 1896, and is buried as John Haire, in the Butler Cemetery between Calvary and Whigham, in what is now SW Grady County, Georgia.

More information can be seen on my family history and Confederate kin web pages at http://pone.com/of/index.htm

Richard White
Tallahassee, Florida
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RichardWhite4... 14 Mar 2004 10:31PM GMT 
jean Hare Rose 14 Mar 2004 11:18PM GMT 
RichardWhite4... 15 Mar 2004 1:42AM GMT 
jeannie HARE 15 Mar 2004 2:02AM GMT 
rachelhare1 7 Jan 2003 3:26AM GMT 
@@rw@pone.com 7 Jan 2003 6:00AM GMT 
rachelhare1 7 Jan 2003 8:54AM GMT 
@@rw@pone.com 7 Jan 2003 12:11PM GMT 
RichardWhite4... 5 Feb 2007 8:43AM GMT 
RichardWhite4... 19 Nov 2007 3:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions