Search for content in message boards

Asa Harper/ Caroline Odum

Replies: 2

Re: Asa Harper/ Caroline Odum

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harper, Odom, Wester
I am a descendant of Thomas Bennett Harper, son of Asa and Caroline Odom Harper. Thomas Bennett Harper married Mary Wester, daughter of Daniel and Feraby Paschall Wester, 24 Sep 1865 in Campbell County, GA.

I see you are descended from Nancy. I have no information regarding her. Please share.

Jesse L. Harper married Sabra Brooks 29 Nov 1855 in Coweta Co., GA. He enlisted in Co. K, 30th Reg., Ga Vol. Inf, Army of Tennessee, Campbell Co., Georgia, "Chattahoochee Vol." He died of "tiphoid pneumonia" in the town of Griswoldville (outside of Savannah) per widow, Sabra, in her pension application.

I have no information on Harriet.

My great-great grandfather, Thomas Bennett Harper, enlisted in Co. F, 7th Reg., Ga Vol Inf., Army of Northern Virginia, Carroll Co., Georgia, "Iverson Invincibles" and was appointed 1st Corp Apr 1864. (He was at the surrender at Appomatox.)

Joseph C. Harper married Carrie Hodge. He was in Co. K, 30th Reg. Ga Vol Inf, "Chattahoochee Vols". I have no further information regarding him.

Asa was born 16 Sep 1810 and died 5 Feb 1888 in Haralson Co., GA. He is buried at Holly Springs Primitive Baptist Church off Hwy 27 between Bremen and Carrollton, GA. You can see the cemetery from Interstate 20.

He enlisted as a private 21 Jun 1861 and discharged due to disability 1 Sep 1861. (Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865, Vol. 1, p. 877.) Muster roll of Co. F, 7th Reg., Ga. Vol. Inf., Army of No. Virginia, Carroll Co, GA "Iverson Invincibles."

Military Service Record indicates he was born in Jasper Co., GA.

He also volunteered at Newnan, GA 15 May 1836 and served 80 days and was honorably discharged at West Point in July 1836 -- Indian Wars -- per bounty land application of 1855.

Caroline died during the Civil War, and Asa married Arminda Jane Liner, a divorced woman, whose maiden name was Lasseter.

Asa is listed in Campbell Co., Ga in the 1840 Census. In 1850, he is in Coweta Co.; 1860, in Campbell Co.; in 1870, he is in Carroll County. (The last name was indexed as "Hasfor, due to poor penmanship.) In 1880, he and Arminda are still in Carroll County.

I believe Asa to be the son of Averett and Elizabeth Harper. The Will of Averett, executed July 1821 and probated 1822 (Newton Co., GA) lists the following children:

Nathan, Asa, Joshua B., Polly, Sally, Nancy, Betsy, Serena and Jordan Jackson Harper.

You may already know there were two (2) Asa Harpers. Ours who initially married Caroline Odom, and another who appears in the records of Newton County, GA. The Newton Co. Asa's children were Martha Ann, Elizabeth, William, Harriett and Nancy Caroline. I believe this Asa was the one who was epileptic and was found in a later census at the State Asylum. I corresponded with the recordkeeper for the Asylum records about ten years ago, but never received anything useful for documentation as to who this Asa was.

I hope I have helped you. Please advise if you need any further information. I have been distracted for several years, and am just beginning to get back to genealogy.

Pam Williams
1891 Old Coal City Rd.
Pell City, AL 35125
205 338 3035
pwilli90@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
travhudson202 6 Nov 2003 5:17PM GMT 
B_J_Niem 23 Nov 2003 5:47AM GMT 
lclevela 25 Jan 2004 2:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic