William C. Hasbrouck.
William Cornelius Hasbrouck (August 23, 1800 - November 5, 1870 Newburgh, Orange County, New York) was an American lawyer and politician.
He was the first child born to Cornelius Benjamin Hasbrouck (1769–1851) and Jane Kelso Hasbrouck (1774–1836). He was baptized at the New Hurley Reformed Church in Shawangunk, Ulster County, New York. William's two siblings were Benjamin Cornelius Hasbrouck (b. 1803) and Margaret Hasbrouck (b. 1803). On June 28, 1831, William married Mary Elizabeth Roe (1811–1907), daughter of William Roe (1781–1863) and Maria Hazard Roe. Between 1833 and 1853, William and Mary had nine children: William Hazard Hasbrouck, Maria Hazard Hasbrouck, Mary Roe Ann Hasbrouck, Brigadier General Henry Cornelius Hasbrouck (Oct. 26, 1839 - Dec. 18, 1910), Emily Ann Hasbrouck, Mary Elizabeth Hasbrouck, Cornelia Jennette Hasbrouck, Blandina Hasbrouck, and Roe Hasbrouck. They resided at their Tuscan style villa at 99, Montgomery Street in Newburgh.
William C. Hasbrouck graduated from Union College in Schenectady and lived for a time in Franklin, Tennessee, where he served as Principal of the academy founded by Bishop Otey. After returning to the North, he briefly worked as Principal of the Farmer's Hall Academy in Goshen in the early 1820s and then studied law with various lawyers in Newburgh, and was admitted to the bar in 1826.
Hasbrouck was Trustee of Newburgh from 1835–1839, and Lieutenant and later Captain of a local militia at Newburgh called The Village Guard.
He was a Whig member from Orange County of the New York State Assembly, and was Speaker in 1847.
William Hasbrouck is a descendant of the Hasbroucks who founded New Paltz, located in New York's Hudson Valley, in 1678. The Hasbroucks were Huguenots, Protestant followers of John Calvin who fled what is today Northern France and South Belgium who fled persecution by the ruling Catholics. The original settlement of their ancestors survives today as Historic Huguenot Street, a National Historic Landmark District.
New Hurley Reformed Church."
in Shawangunk, Ulster County, New York.