Search for content in message boards

Healys from Co. Clare 1840's

Replies: 3

Healys from Co. Clare 1840's

P. Holmes (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Healy, O'Hern
I'm trying to find any link to our Healys that left Co. Clare during the famine.

The father's name is unknown, according to family history, he was imprisioned.

Mother was Mary Healy, maiden name unknown.

There were older siblings sent to Australia according to family history, their names are unknown.

Youngest children were James and Peter Healy, both born between 1841-45 (we're not sure which was the older, but we do know that they were 2 yrs apart in age.)

Mary Healy took the boys and left Ireland during the famine, and found a job in England working as a servant. Peter and James eventually left there, and were in Chicago before 1871. (According to family legend, they were sent by Mary as teenagers to live with a family named Nash in Chicago.) Eventually, James saved up enough money to buy his mother a ticket over to America.

Peter headed out West, sold tonics at one point, last known whereabouts was Colorado. We presume he died and the family wasn't notified b/c one day, letters just stopped coming.

James married Mary O'Hern, had several children...James (who died at about age 20), Mary (nicknamed Mimi, she died as a young child), Kate, Sade (Sarah), Elizabeth, Thomas, and Mary Ann Catherine (my g-grandmother.)

James and Mary O'Hern Healy as well as Mary Healy are buried at Calvary Cemetery in Evansville, Illinois.

If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know! I keep hitting brick walls with this.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
P. Holmes 15 May 2002 8:39PM GMT 
NJ Hemond 4 Jul 2002 11:45PM GMT 
conerybb 9 Sep 2002 6:50PM GMT 
glarnold182 27 Apr 2013 12:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions