Search for content in message boards

Joseph Montayne Schoonover & Anna Hendershot, Sussex County, NJ

Replies: 0

Joseph Montayne Schoonover & Anna Hendershot, Sussex County, NJ

Posted: 21 Oct 2008 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schoonover, Hendershot, Barton, Jackson
Can you help me verify the link between my GGG-Grandfather Joseph Schoonover and Cornelius Schoonover in New Jersey and Michigan?
For several years I've been researching my GGG-Grandfather Joseph Henry Schoonover, Sr., who is usually only identified as Joseph Schoonover. By my Schoonover Family Bible, I know he was born on 14 March 1791, probably in Sussex County, New Jersey, and died on 13 July 1843 in Comstock, Kalamazoo County, Michigan. He married Elizabeth Erwine, born 1 Jan 1794 in Knowlton Twp, Sussex County, New Jersey. They had 9 children with all apparently born in Stillwater, Sussex County, New Jersey. I have researched good information about the children and Elizabeth Erwine, however, I've been unable to verify who are Joseph Schoonover's parents.
I now think I have the link owing to information that I have recently dug up in Michigan about other Schoonover families. For instance, I have documented that Joseph Schoonover left Stillwater, NJ about 1837 and moved the entire family to Comstock, Kalamazoo County, Michigan. The one child not in the move was Cornelius Schoonover born 24 Jan 1820 and died 20 August 1823 apparently in Stillwater.
In 2005 I found a grave in Comstock, MI for Rachel Schoonover who appears to have been the wife of another Cornelius Schoonover. Rachel Schoonover was born 1804-1808 in New Jersey and died on 25 June 1853 in Comstock, MI.
Rachel had a daughter named Mary Schoonover born 1823-1828 in New Jersey and died 31 July 1879 in Kalamazoo, MI. Mary Schoonover married an unknown Barton.
Kalamazoo County Clerk’s Death Record Book 1, page 192. Mary BARTON; age 56; DOD 31 July 1879; POD City of Kalamazoo; POB New Jersey; marital status Married; occ Housewife; cause Consumption; father Cornelius SCHOONOVER; mother Rachel SCHOONOVER.
Although I cannot find any verification of Cornelius Schoonover being in Michigan other than the birth of his youngest daughter, Harriet, about 1843 in Michigan, I strongly believe that this Cornelius is the brother of my Joseph Schoonover, and that they both, or maybe just Rachel Schoonover and children, moved to Michigan together about 1837.
It is recorded that a Cornelius Schoonover and a Joseph Schoonover are both sons of Joseph Montayne Schoonover and wife, Anna Hendershot. Although the marriage date for these two of 5 January, 1797 is not consistent with this theory, it is consistent with the same time period (1790-1800) and location of Stillwater, Sussex County, New Jersey.
1850 United States Federal Census (31 July 1850)
Name: Rachel Schoonover
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808
Birth Place: New Jersey
Home in 1850(City,County,State): Gunplain Twp, Allegan, Michigan
Household Members: Name Age
Bradbury Jackson 28 VT Head
Hannah Jackson 20 NJ Wife (Hannah Schoonover Jackson)
Harriet Schoonover 7 MI Sister-In-Law
Rachel Schoonover 42 NJ Mother-In-Law
Apparently Joseph Montayne Schoonover married Elizabeth Martin on 13 July 1800, so who raised the first 2 boys? And what happened to Anna (Hendershot) Schoonover?
Do you know of any information about Cornelius Schoonover and family to verify this theory? Do you know anything about Anna Hendershot & family?
Thanks,
Bob Schoonover, Email: schoony@comcast.net

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions