My great-great grandmother was Dulcina Hicks, who wasmarried to David Ledford jr. and they lived in Clay County, North Carolina. David was killed in the Civil War by bushwackers. Dulcina raised their family by herself after the war. though she married a Ledford, her mother was also a Ledford, as you will see in the information I have added. I hope it may help some of you..
David Hicks Sr.
David Hicks: was born about 1756. He married Ellender Furnett 18 Mar 1780 in Haywood county, NC. Soon after, they moved to South Carolina, but were back in Burke county by 1790. While in South Carolina, David joined the Army and fought in the Revolution. He fought in the battles of Stono, Bacon's Ridge, and Orangeburg Bridge. The 1790 census has that there was another male over 16 years in the house hold, two sons under 16, his wife, and two daughters. The 1800 census of Abbeville county, SC has David with four sons, all under 10, his wife, and two daughters, one under 10, and one between 10 and 18. Ellender died there 13 Sep 1812. He then was married to Nancy Bryan(t) 1 Jan 1814. In 1820, he and his family were living again in Haywood county, NC. Also living very near him was Joseph Hicks. In 1830, they were in Haywood county, living near him were Matthew Hicks and William Hicks. In Macon county, NC were Joseph Hicks and William Hicks. They were in Cherokee county, North Carolina in 1840. David died 11 Sep 1849 in Cherokee county. Nancy died after 1850. There were several Hicks families in the area which were part Cherokee, including one who was a chief. It is not known if these families are related, but there is a rumor that there is Cherokee blood in our family. It may have come from the Hicks line. David had the following known children:
A. David Hicks: born about 1781/4. Married Elizabeth, born 1805.
Children of David and Elizabeth were:
1. Ellender Hicks: born about 1832, in TN.
2. John Hicks: born about 1834, in TN.
3. David Hicks: born about 1836, in TN.
4. Cassa Hicks: born about 1837, in TN.
5. Lucinda Hicks: born about 1842 in NC.
6. Harriet Hicks: born about 1846 in GA.
B. Sarah Hicks: born 1803. Married John Patterson.
Children of Sarah and John were:
1. Andrew Patterson: born 1832.
2. Humphrey Patterson: born 1835.
3. John Patterson: born 1839.
4. George Patterson: born 1842.
5. Sarah Patterson: born 1847.
C. Lucinda Hicks: born about 1805.
D. Steven Hicks: born about 1815. He married Mary Ledford 23 Oct 1833 in Haywood county, NC. Mary was the daughter of Eli and Hannah Ledford.
Children of Steven and Mary were:
1. Nancy Dulcena Sabina Hicks: born 1834. Married David Ledford Jr. about 1850, son of David and Jane Barnes Ledford.
2. William A. Hicks: born 1836.
3. Jason M. Hicks: born 1839.
4. Burton Hicks: born 1841.
5. Haden Hicks: born 1844.
6. Mary E. Hicks: born 1848.
7. Elizabeth Hicks: born 1851.
8. Julie Hicks: born 1853.
9. Joseph L. Hicks: born 1855.
E. Cassandra Hicks: born about 1817. She married Spencer Ledford 14 Aug 1833 in Haywood county, NC.
Children of Cassandra and Spencer were:
1. David D. Ledford: born 1835.
2. Eli C. Ledford: born 1837.
3. Polley E. Ledford: born 1839.
4. Hannah Avaline Ledford: born 1843.
5. William M. Ledford: born 1845.
6. Nancy Ledford: born 1852.
F. Moses Hicks: born about 1824. Married Amanda _____.
Children of Moses and Amanda were:
1. Cassandra E. Hicks: born 1847.
2. Martha J. Hicks: born 1848.
3. James M. Hicks: born March 1850.
G. John O. Hicks: born 1825. A school teacher.
David HICKS, Sr.
David was born in 1756. David was married to Ellender FURNETT. He ststaed in his Revolutionary pension application that they lived in Haywood county, NC then afterwards in Pickens Dist., SC, where she died 13 Sep 1812. They must have moved to SC shortly after their marriage, because David enlisted for service in the War, and was living in either Edgefield, Pendleton or Pickens Districts at that time. He served under Captains Wm FARR and John REID, Colonels HAMMOND and ANDERSON, and fought in the Battles of Stono, Bacon's Ridge and Orangeburg Bridge. After Ellender's death, David married secondly to Nancy BRYAN(T) (variously spelled) on 1 Jan 1814 in either Pendleton or Pickens Dist, SC. They very soon after moved back to Haywood county, NC where David is found in the 1820 census, on page 222. Other Hicks families in Haywood county at this time was Joseph HICKS (pg 222). In 1830, Haywood co, NC is found, on page 381 HICKS, David 02100000100-00210100000. By 1840, he was in Cherokee co, NC, and can be found on page 235 Hicks, David 0000000000100-000000010000000. David applied for his pension in Cherokee county 5 Dec 1843 at age 87, and died there 11 Sep 1849. Nancy was still alive in 1850, living with her daughter Cassandra, and her husband Thomas Spencer LEDFORD. From this census we see that Nancy was born about 1790/1. I have no further information on her. Perhaps someone could let me know whether this is the right David Hicks; I find only two David's in South Carolina in 1800, one in Abbeville county, one in Spartanburg county. The David in Spartanburg has only one child, a son, born between 1790 and 1800. The other David, in Abbeville has the following family 40010-11010, which seems to fit closer our David. He is also there in 1810, but I don't have that enumeration. I will add to this as I find more information. I have very little info on David's children, only a few names. As can be seen, in 1830, only his children by Nancy were still at home, except for perhaps a daughter born between 1810-12 and it does not appear that she had any children after 1825.
Children of David and Ellender (as far as known):
* David HICKS, Jr.: born about 1781/4.Virginia. Married Elizabeth ____, who was born about 1805. Lived for a time in TN. Ended up in the Morganton area of Fannin county, GA, where in the 1860 census he is listed as a 'Bolanic Dr.' He was living next door to a Richard BRYANT of SC, born ca 1798, who is most likely brother of Nancy.
* Sarah A. HICKS: born 1801/3, South Carolina. Married 8 Feb 1823, Haywood co, NC to John PATTERSON, born about 1798, Buncombe co, NC. They were in Union county, GA in 1850, then shortly afterward they moved to Rollin PO, Fannin co, GA, where John died 8 Apr 1854, and Sarah was still there in 1860. She died sometime before 1878. Follow the link to see Marty Grant's wonderful work on several Patterson lines in the NC/SC/GA area.
* Lucinda HICKS: born about 1805, South Carolina. Never married, and appears to have always lived with her sister Sarah Patterson. She is listed as a weaver in the 1860 Fannin county, GA census.
Children of David and Nancy (as far as known):
* Daughter HICKS: born 1814/5
* Stephen(son) HICKS: born about 1815, Haywood county, NC. married 23 Oct 1833, Haywood co, NC to Maria "Mary" LEDFORD. SEE BELOW FOR DESCENDANTS.
* Cassandra "Cassa" HICKS: born about 1817, Haywood county, NC. She died in Clay county, NC after 1860. She married 14 Aug 1833, Haywood county, NC to Thomas Spencer LEDFORD, son of Eli LEDFORD, and brother of Maria.
* Daughter HICKS: born between 1815-1820, Haywood co, NC.
* Moses HICKS: born about 1823, Haywood county, NC. He was married to Amanda ______, about 1845.
* John O. HICKS: born about 1825. Apparently the son of David. I read this piece in an article about Ft. Hembree, Clay county, NC: "... and by 1850 had a small academy, run by John O. Hicks from Rutherford County. Both the post office and Hicks academy later removed to Hayesville, just a mile away."
Stephenson "Stephen" HICKS
Stephen Hicks was born in Haywood county, NC about 1815, son of David Hicks and Nancy Bryant. He was married 23 Oct 1833 in Haywood county to Mary LEDFORD, born about 1813, daughter of Eli LEDFORD. They are listed in the 1840 Cherokee county census. Mary wasn't in the home at this time, perhaps she and Stephen were having troubles??? She appears to be living nextdoor with her sister Nancy Ledford McGee. She was back at home by 1850 (if in fact she had ever 'moved out'). I do not as yet know of a date of death for Stephen and Mary, but will update this if I can find out.
Children of Stephen and Mary Hicks are:
* Nancy Dulcena HICKS: born 1834, Haywood county, NC. Married about 1851 to David LEDFORD, Jr. I have no information concerning her date of death, other than it was after 1880.
* William Asburry HICKS: born 24 Nov 1835, Haywood county, NC
* Jason Mitchell HICKS: born 27 Mar 1839, Cherokee county, NC.
* Burton HICKS: born 28 Nov 1843, Cherokee county, NC.
* Steven Hedden HICKS: born 1847, Cherokee county, NC.
* Mary Emaline HICKS: born 12 Aug 1848, Cherokee county, NC.
* Elizabeth A. HICKS: born 1852, Cherokee county, NC.
* Julie HICKS: born 1853, Cherokee county, NC.
* Joseph Luther HICKS: born 1855, Cherokee county, NC.