Search for content in message boards

Lt. William H. Higginbotham

Replies: 0

Lt. William H. Higginbotham

Posted: 16 Dec 1998 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 12 Jan 2003 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Higginbotham, Sandidge, Kelley
William Higginbotham served in the Rev War. From Hardin Co., TN he submitted an application for a Pension, dated Jan 31, 1829, to the Pension Bureau in Wash., DC that states he enlisted Amherst Co., VA, Jan. 6, 1777, as Sergt. in Capt. Samuel J. Cabell's Co., 6th Va Regt.; again enlisted
Dec 1778, and served to the end of the war in Capt. James Mabon's Co., 2nd Va Regt., Cert. of Capt. James Mabon, May 28, 1783; "Sergeant William Higginbotham enlisted with me for the war in Dec. 1778, in the 2nd Va Continental Regiment." Certificate of Col. Samuel J. Cabell: I do hereby certify that William Higginbotham enlisted in my Company of Riflemen attached to the 6th Va. Regt. in the month of Jan. 1777, for the term of three years after which he re-enlisted for the War and was taken prisoner at Buford's defeat South or North Carolina, in the month of May, 1780, and I do further certify that the sd. William Higginbotham acted as a Sergeant and that during his term of service which generally came under my observation he conducted himself as a good and a brave soldier. Given under my hand this 25th day of Feb'y, 1810. Sam. J. Cabell, late Lt. Col. Virga. Line on Contl. Establishment, Elbert Co., GA., testified" "we knew William Higginbotham as a soldier and Lieutenant in the late Revolutionary War with Great Britain; he entered service 1776, and served until the end of the war in the Va. Contl. Line." His Claim was allowed. In 1782, Wm. Higginbotham entered a claim to the court of Amherst Co., VA for public service rendered during the Rev. War. Wm. Higginbotham was allowed land as a sergeant for a service of six years and ten months, 455 acres, the warrant for which was issued March 9, 1793, and Feb. 28, 1810. He was also allowed bounty land as a Lieutenent on Nov. 7, 1811, when a warrant was issued for 2,666 2/3 acres. (H.D. 1835-36, Doc. 6, 89. VA State Lib., Richmond, VA. In the Year Book of the SAR of KY for 1913, is a list of "Virginia Military Land Grants for Rev. Serv." These grants were located in KY. On Page 228, of the above book there appears the following: 4,606. William Higginbotham, 400 acres Sergt. Cont. Line, Term of Service War March 9, 1793.

REF: (Ibid), p.411: William Higginbotham is also listed on a "Pay Roll of Capt. Samuel Jordan's Comapny of the Rifle Detachment Commanded by Col. Daniel Morgan for Three Months from the 1st of August to the 1st of November 1777." As a Private his total pay was $20. at a rate of $6 2/3 per month. His total pay in Virginia Currency was L20.6s. / William Higginbotham was also listed as a Private at the same above month on a "Payroll of Capt. Benjamin Taliferros Compy of detached Riflemen Commanded by Col. Daniel Morgan for the month of December 1777."

REF: "The Higginbotham Family", by Wm. Montgomery Sweeney, 1971, William, son of Benj., p. 28,140,141,142,279.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions