Search for content in message boards

Hodge Marriages - Marion County, Texas

Replies: 25

Re: Hodge Marriages - Marion County, Texas

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 8:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodge, Holleyman
Johnson Hodge is my g g grandfather and all of us in the family claim our Creek blood through him. My Aunt had family information that his non-English name was Hillabee Harjo. (Hodge being the anglicized version of Harjo)

I noticed you have a particular interest in Green Hodge. Green, the older brother's name may be an interesting transfer of an English name through Creek and back into English. The original white military commander of the Creek Regiment that volunteered to serve in Florida against the Seminoles was a charismatic West Point Colonel, John F. Lane. One Creek word for Green is la-ne. This would have been their father's military commander at the time Green was born in 1836. Lane to La-ne to Green.

One of Johnson's MANY children is also a younger namesake, Green Hodge.

There is an interesting link in the Oklahoma court record about a claim for Indian status by "Betsy" who is deemed to be black and perhaps a child of Johnson's but not from a legal union. The link is below. The claim was made after Johnson had passed away.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?ci...

The T.E Holleyman and Maggie Hodge marriage in your earlier posting are my great grandparents. T.E. (Thomas) was born in South Carolina, most likely into slavery in 1851. The family knew only that he was adopted and from South Carolina. Not much more is known. He is listed on the 1880 census as living as a son with a Stover family in Kershaw County, South Carolina. I am very interested in immigration patterns from South Carolina that might have lead him into Texas to become part of the Marion county community.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CDoutherd 24 Jan 2006 5:42PM GMT 
CDoutherd 24 Jan 2006 5:45PM GMT 
ChristeniaAK 31 May 2006 8:25PM GMT 
CDoutherd 1 Jun 2006 9:12AM GMT 
ChristeniaAK 2 Jun 2006 2:03AM GMT 
CDoutherd 2 Jun 2006 2:11PM GMT 
Granmamonybag... 21 Jul 2006 5:34AM GMT 
7mar2011 21 Jul 2006 2:56PM GMT 
Granmamonybag... 21 Jul 2006 8:19PM GMT 
CDoutherd 2 Jun 2006 2:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions