Search for content in message boards

Answers to Hodge/Hodges Ancestry Mysteries at Hand

Replies: 7

Answers to Hodge/Hodges Ancestry Mysteries at Hand

Bob Hodges (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2005 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
We may be on the verge of solving a great many mysteries about Hodge and Hodges ancestry.

We have a fantastic new tool in Y-DNA matching and a project to compile and compare the results.

My family comes from Franklin County, Virginia. I believe that prior to that, they lived in the Lickinghole Creek are of Goochland County, and are related to the Hodges families there and in Halifax County, Virginia. I have been working for over twenty years to establish the connections between the Hodge/Hodges families and I believe many of them have a common origin.

If you are in a line of direct male descent and your family is one of the following, taking the test and submitting your results to compare with mine will help answer the questions how these Hodge/Hodges families are related and help us focus in on where we came from:

John Hodges of Goochland Co., Va. 1728-59 and his sons Johnson, William, Joseph, Thomas or David

Welcome William Hodges of Goochland County and his sons Benjamin, Jesse, and William

Robert Hodges, early settler in Franklin Co., Va. and his presumed sons Robert, Isham, William and John. Isham’s sons were Isham, Aaron and Asa of Sumner Co., Tenn., Robert, William and Moses. Moses Hodge appears to have died in Scioto Co., Ohio. William's and Robert's descendants are also found in Putnam Co., W.Va.

Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego Hodges of Franklin Co., Va. Shadrack and/or Meshack thought to be ancestors of the Hodge family of Knox-Clay-Laurel Cos., Ky.

Josiah Hodges of Franklin Co., Va. and his sons John “Redhead”, Isham, Joel, Abner and Ephraim. Abner and Ephraim moved to White and Van Buren Cos., Tenn.

William Hodges of Lawrence Co., Ala.

William Hodges of Cumberland Co., N.C., and related Hodges in Marlboro and Darlington Cos., S.C., including Revolutionary soldier Isham Hodges and his descendants in McNairy Co., Tenn. and Mississippi

Welcome William Hodges of Halifax Co., Va. and Surry Co., N.C., and his descendants in N.C. and Tenn.

James Hodges of Halifax Co., Va. and Newberry Co., S.C. and his descendants, primarily through his son Jesse in Wilson Co., Tenn.

Thomas Hodges of Cumberland Co., Va. and his sons Edmund (d. Pittsylvania Co., Va. 1782), Thomas, William, John and Drury. Thomas’s descendants are in Halifax and Pittsylvania Cos., Va., Caswell Co., N.C., and Claiborne Co., Tenn. Some of Edmund’s descendants are in Obion Co., Tenn.

I think all of these families are related. We have some evidence in the records, but we can get what amounts to virtual proof. A 37-marker match shows a probability of a common ancestor within 100 years as 83.49%, within 200 years as 97.28 %, within 300 years as 99.55% and so on. With numerous results, we could coorelate very precisely when each of these families split off from on another. But it only works if we have a lot of results to work with. It is statistical, so the more data the better.

I would encourage everyone who has direct male Hodge/Hodges descent, or knows someone in your line who does, to visit the Hodge/Hodges site and sign up for the test.

The Hodges Patriarch site run by Terry Barton compiles the results:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/h/hodges/pats.html

We can do a lot for one another if we can generate several results in each line to compare.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bob Hodges 23 Apr 2005 7:55PM GMT 
pasotaco2 2 Jun 2005 1:06AM GMT 
bamagirliniow... 18 Jan 2006 4:07AM GMT 
Frank L. Hodges II 18 Jan 2006 7:30AM GMT 
M_Mongan 28 Aug 2009 6:36PM GMT 
CASSLAGLE59 6 Mar 2010 2:19AM GMT 
ibleggz 30 Jun 2010 9:23PM GMT 
dkrichar89 28 Jul 2013 4:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic