Search for content in message boards

Tishomingo Mississppi Hodges

Replies: 14

Re: Tishomingo Mississppi Hodges

Posted: 17 May 2012 2:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 May 2012 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: Stanley, Hodges, McGaughy, Crowder, Bruton, Floyd
I am trying to figure out the maiden name and family of Nancy Stanley, first wife of John G Stanley, and I am wondering if she might be Nancy Hodges, daughter of Richard Hodges.

In the 1880 Census, the Stanley family lived in the East half of the 3rd Sup. District in Prentiss County:
Stanley, J.G., w, m, 28, married, works at saw mill, b. Ala.
___, Nacy D, w, f, 26, wife, b. Ala. both parents b. Tenn.
___, A. Adeline, w, f, 5, daughter, b. Miss.
___, (blank), w, f, 3, daughter, b. Tenn.
___, Wm. I., w, m, 1, son, b. Miss.

There are a few errors in that entry. The daughters should have been listed as Lizzie, 5, and Adeline, 3. These ages are confirmed by the 1894 Tishimingo enumeration of educable children (L.O., f, 18; A.M., f, 16; W.F., m, 14; J.M., m, 12) and by subsequent Census records after Lizzie Stanley married Benjamin F. McGaughy and Thomas G. Crowder and Ada Stanley married Elisha Larkin Bruton. No other records say that either Lizzie or Ada was born in Tennessee, so that may be another error in the 1880 record.

"Nacy D" Stanley probably died sometime during the 1880s. Her last surviving child was born in 1881 or 1882. I can find no marriage, death, or cemetery record for Nancy Stanley.

John G Stanley remarried Martha Jane Floyd in 1897 and they had 7 children from 1899 to 1919: George, Tisha, Alice, John, Virgie, Earnest Ward, and Irene. John G Stanley died in 1920 and was buried at Clausel Hill Cemetery. Martha Jane Floyd Stanley died sometime before the 1930 Census. In the 1930 Census, Earnest Ward Stanley appears as the adopted son of E.L. Bruton and Ada Stanley Bruton, Earnest Ward's half-sister, in Franklin County, Alabama.

The Stanley family seems to have lived in the general area of NW Prentiss or just across the line in Tishomingo or Alcorn. I have looked for a Nancy who lived in that area in 1870 with both parents born in Tennessee. There are a few Nancys who are not accounted for in later years, but none is a perfect match.

The closest match I have found is Nancy E. Hodges, 17 in 1870, b. Tenn., parents Richard, 62, and Nancy C. Hodges, 50, both b. Tenn, lived in Twp 4, Range 10 of Tishomingo County. The parents and siblings moved to Texas in the 1870s, but the younger Nancy does not show up in Texas. In 1880, John G. and Nancy Stanley lived next to Larkin Thomas Hodges, so I wondered if that might be an uncle or other relative, but L.T. Hodges was born in Virginia and does not appear to be related to Richard Hodges from Tennessee.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Martin
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/6577194/person/6125957679
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GaryPace 27 Apr 2012 10:58PM GMT 
hodgesmartha 27 Dec 2012 1:18AM GMT 
betty33501 20 Nov 2001 2:29PM GMT 
DBaack 5 Feb 2001 12:41PM GMT 
bmartindc 17 May 2012 8:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic