Search for content in message boards

Hodges Ancestry

Replies: 2

Hodges Ancestry

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Hodges
I am the lucky one this time. Computers, and extracting/indexing have been of the greatest benefit since I began doing genealogy. I've been having much success with my mother's line; Lease, and my father's Hodges line. I've found through the Conn line that Howard Hughes was my 5th cousin. And then I found that Richard Hodges born 1720 was a bond servant who arrived at Annapolis, Maryland in 1725. His father was John Hodges and his mother Sarah. I noticed the postings of one genealogist who had Richard Hodges with another family during a census of the period. They assumed that Richard was one of the children. It has been a thorn in my side trying to clear that up, but I knew that Richard was a bond servant and then I had the family he was bonded to!
Almost immediately after serving his term of bondage he met and married Elizabeth Jones of Essex County, Virginia. He also paid his taxes by working on the road into the mountains.
Richard sued her father's estate because her father Richard Jones had promised her 500 pounds if she married to his liking. He liked Richard but left her out of the will. Richard won but had to pay his lawyer in tonnage of tobacco.
Richard's son Richard was apparently attacked on the street of the town. There are court records.
Richard and Elizabeth had quite a large family before buying property in Abbeville District, SC. There they established residence on Mulberry Creek in Abbeville Districk close to the current location of a go-cart racetrack.
The exact date is not known but one of the presidents ancestors had land close and recorded the Indian attacks. Richard and several of his daughters were killed, and the cabin burned. Elizabeth recorded that she and the remaining children lived in a hollow "tree" probably a giant log.
Richard, James, John, and Charles all went to fight in the Revolutionary War after their father's death.
I am proud to be descended through Richard to this family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thetishbite01 12 Apr 2013 3:12AM GMT 
simslinda2010 17 Apr 2013 12:41AM GMT 
thetishbite01 17 Apr 2013 7:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic