Search for content in message boards

Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Replies: 29

Re: George Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodges
The most excellent book Moragne's in America had much information used by many who are descended from the Hodges family of SC. There was one fatal flaw that put all the genealogists in a tail spin for oh, eighty years or so. Because there was a John Hodges who owned land close to the Richard Hodges family it was assumed that John was the name of Richard's, John's and the rest of the family's father. However the 5 excellent genealogists who worked hardest on it over the last thirty years especially Colonel Al Metts retired. Col Metts found legal documents in Essex county with Richard Hodges and his father Richard. He was looking for John but kept the notes as we ought. Col Metts contacted a gentleman whose name I've forgotten who found a hand written document in a college in SC written by one of the grandsons through James one Rev. Nicholas Ware Hodges wrote that his grandfather's name was Richard. The document was shared with the five, and myself. We all agreed that we have been barking up the wrong tree!
Richard and not John was the father of my Richard!
Not long ago 2005-2007, I heard that extractions of ship passenger lists were being done. Not a month ago Ancestry dot com emailed me with a free offer to check Ship Passenger Lists!
To my utter astonishment I found Richard Hodges born 9 Sep 1720 Stretton-Grandison, Herefordshire, England had traveled to Annapolis, Maryland as a bond servant! His parents were listed as John and Sarah!
Needless to say I immediately search for John and Sarah and found them; John Hodges born 4 Apr 1686 in Stretton-Grandison, Herefordshire, England! His wife's information is not available. However I looked until I found John Hodges Christening record and found John and Joan Hodges. John born 10 Apr 1654 in Stretton-Grandison, Herefordshire, England. His father is Francis Hodges born 1635, nothing on mother, Francis father was John Hodges born 1619, his mother was Mary Johnson. John's father was Michael Hodges, his mother Elizabeth. Michael was Christened 22 Sep 1636 at St Andrews, Holborn, London, England. Michael and Elizabeth had at least these four children Christened; Mary Hodges born 1615, Symon Hodges born 1616, John and Pressella Hodges born 1620. I believe this is what everyone has been looking for. I thank God for Colonel Al Metts, for Rev. Nicholas Ware Hodges writing, and for all those people who are doing the extractions voluntarily, and those doing indexing. Feel free to visit my Family Tree and copy past to your hearts desire!
Best of luck.
Elijah V. Hodges, son of Early G. Hodges - Elias F. Hodges - Robert Walker Hodges - Gabriel Hodges - William Hodges - Richard Hodges - Richard Hodges - John Hodges - John Hodges - Francis Hodges - John Hodges and Michael Hodges.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peggysogaddis... 5 Mar 2013 10:42PM GMT 
thetishbite01 12 Apr 2013 2:36AM GMT 
thetishbite01 12 Apr 2013 2:57AM GMT 
searchingkin5... 13 Apr 2013 4:31PM GMT 
thetishbite01 13 Apr 2013 6:39PM GMT 
searchingkin5... 19 Apr 2013 7:04PM GMT 
thetishbite01 20 Apr 2013 12:31AM GMT 
searchingkin5... 13 Apr 2013 4:32PM GMT 
searchingkin5... 13 Apr 2013 4:34PM GMT 
searchingkin5... 13 Apr 2013 4:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions