Search for content in message boards

Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Replies: 29

John Hodges father of GW Hodges

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
COL Albert Casswell Metts wrote a book on the Metts family, it contains a chapter on the Hodges family. The book is in the library of congress.
Richard Hodges brought his family to Abbeville Dist. SC after buying land from a scoundrel who proved false. The Buchanan family also bought land around the same area so there is a history. Richard and his wife Elizabeth Jones brought several children with them to SC.; Richard, James, John, Sarah, Charles, William, Samuel, Dorothy, and three other daughters. He established a farm and built a large cabin. Elizabeth had the boys drive her into Abbeville, those who were not farmed out to other farms. Indians attacked the farm. Richard fought them with his single musket but they burned the cabin. When the family emerged all were killed but Dorothy who was taken by the Chief as his wife. Ten or more years later she visited home with a son and was talked into staying with the family.
Richard, James and John were revolutionary soldiers years after the disaster of the Indian attack.
Elizabeth could not write but told the story to her grandson . Nicholas Ware Hodges the son of James wrote that she took the remain children and lived in a hollow tree until a new cabin could be built. I've seen an example of such a living space. A large tree is felled, the branches stripped and careful fires put against the stump burning out most of the wood. Furniture can be carved inside the log, even bed frames. A fire place is installed. It can be done in a couple of weeks where a full sized cabin could take a family three or four months to construct properly. George Washington Hodges was a General in the SC militia.
Richard Hodges and Elizabeth have thousands of descendants in the United States, we are in every state, and have fought in all the wars. My great grandfather Robert Walker Hodges fought for the North in the Civil War. He had a second cousin die at Gettysburg fighting for the south. I had a brother stationed in Vietnam for two tours, and one for one tour. Each tour was one year. I have just retired from the Army May 2012.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bill Wilson 2 May 2000 7:34PM GMT 
Sam Ault 25 May 2000 10:12AM GMT 
Bill Wilson 1 Sep 2000 6:10AM GMT 
Linda Hennrich 2 Sep 2000 4:41PM GMT 
Linda Hennrich 5 Sep 2000 7:32PM GMT 
Linda Hennrich 5 Sep 2000 7:39PM GMT 
jlnutter54 21 Jul 2008 10:20PM GMT 
thetishbite01 3 Mar 2013 3:24AM GMT 
peggysogaddis... 5 Mar 2013 10:36PM GMT 
peggysogaddis... 5 Mar 2013 10:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions