Search for content in message boards

Jacob Hoke Stores Does Not Seem to be Correct (1696-1766)

Replies: 28

Re: Jacob Hoke Stores Does Not Seem to be Correct (1696-1766) - DETAILED REPORT

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 8:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2011 9:41AM GMT
There have been many stories written about Johann Jacob Hoke and many have been repeated so many times, they are almost considered fact, and many does not appear as being correct.

Some files show Dorothy Line as a first wife, but again this doesn't seem likely. Dorothy was married to John Line (Lyne)...see data under his name.

Listed below are some of the stories and detailed data containing each, some of which does not appear to be correct.

Stories:
1. There are a lot of publications that state that Jacob was married prior to coming to Pennsylvania, however, that appears to be incorrect.

His will does state "First it is my will that them 5 children of my first wife shall have 20 pounds".
We do not know when George was born as Eve is the first child we have a record for Eve Dorothea Hoke which was the first child in 1730 in Pennsylvania. He arrived in the United States 23 August 1728, thus all known children were born in the United States however his will does state " As to the 10 children from my Last wife..." Listed in the will is

Since the will states 10 children of my last wife and Jacob Bornly (Brinley) is listed. (15)
We have 13 listed, thus unknown who the other 2 may have been.

This marriage does not appear to be correct.
The reported first marriage shows the mother as Anna Maria Schindler as the mother of the first 5 children of Jacob. One of the sources is the LDS Library in Salt Lake City. Since anyone can post a record with the LDS Library, without any documentation, we do not know if this record is accurate or not. Some records have stated the first 5 children were born in Germany however John Jacob Hock migrated from Mannheim, Germany on the Palatine Ship "Mortonhouse" 23 August 1728. There were 69 Women, 56 children and 80 men (205 total)
Since Jacob migrated to Pennsylvania in 1729, a prior family does not appear to be correct. In the will (14) Jacob specifically mentions "

"Order your House for you must Die and not Live ----------- My Last will and Testament is as follows - First it is my will that them 5 children of my first wife shall have 20 pounds. (5) George Hooks children shall have 20 pound. Each of them 5 pounds. (1) Jacob Bornly shall have twenty pounds (on behalf of Eve) and (2) William Shroder shall have Like sums of 20 pounds. (3) Samuel has recev'd what he is to have. (4) Jacob Hook shall have 10 pounds in money, his child Catarina Hook which is in Pennsylvania shall have them 10 pounds. Beside the interest.

As to the 10 children from my Last wife it is my will that them Two to wit (1) Hannes Hook and (2) Peter Hook shall Be contented with them 200 pound which they have in the Land and if they grumble and are not contented then the shall pay that which is set down in the Book and Likewise per each of them for 15 Buschells of Rye and for 15 Buschells of oats at 1 shilling a Buschell. But if the are contented with what the have in the land then it may be so, and they shall receive nothing nor pay back any thing, except the Bonds. Farther if (2) Peter keeps his mother as a child should Do then he shall keep the close presse. Farther is my will that one child shall have as much as the other. Except them Two to wit, (1) Hannes Hook and (2) Peter Hook. The shall abide By the 100 pound Each of them which the have in the land. Farther is my will that all the money which I Have in my possesion be put out on intrest, and them two as (1) Hannes Hook and (2) Peter Hook shall pay intrest for the money when the Bonds come Due of which my wife and (3) Andreas Hook shall Take good care and help where the can. The children are always the nearest But the shall pay the interest and it shall remain in their mothers Hands ---------------- Till after her Death and Andreas Hook shall keep and attend her.

Note only 3 of the 10 children by his last wife is listed in the will and 5 from the first wife. (15 total)

Jacob's personal estate listed hundreds of items, further proof that he was a wealthy man of his time. Personal items of clothing were "a small jacket, black Jacket and pr. of Black Hose, 3 shirts, Big Coat, old Hatt, Coat and jacket, pr. of Stockins, and a pair of Velvet Breeches." Other items included "Pepermill and salt sellor, pewter mug, dishes and baizon, fron stove, 2 beds and bedsteads (with one) bed curtains, walnut table, chest, a woman's and an old man's sadles, clock, looking glass, Bible, three books, three psalm books, a pot and tea spoons,...churn, spining wheel, barrels, utensils, and farm equipment."
This makes us believe the stories about a prior marriage and prior children is not valid
The will does list "9 children by my last wife" and we have a list of 13 total children.

There was a Jacob Hoak on the ship "Mary" and qualified 26 Sep 1732. Unknown if this is the same or different Jacob Hoke (Hoak)

The first born, for which we have any records was not born until 1730. Nachklommen Von Hans Hock, from Germany, sent a Hoke Family tree to us and also does not include a Schindler in the family line. Thus this story also appears not to be valid.

John Jacob Hock had previously been a ruling elder in the congregation (First Reformed Congregation) and was chosen to the ministry by the people. He also preached at Bethany, near Ephrata, and as soon as a regular minister could be secured he retired to private life. (8)

Lands of his own, whereon he now Livieth, and being the same which was conveyed to me by my late Father Jacob Hoke. (11)

JOHN JACOB HOKE (Dutch - Hoock: German - Hock) emigrated from Mannheim, Germany on the Palatine Ship "Mortonhouse" 23 August 1729. He was pastor of the German Reformed Church of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in the year 1736. The Hoke book states he "was a German Reformed Minister and a weaver by trade; of the Evangelical faith and affiliated with Wolf's Reformed Church in York County, Pennsylvania. Note: Some records show Webenheim, Rheinland, Pfalz, Bayern, Germany. (Some show 1728, however the original copy shows 1729)

Johann Jacob Hock was an Elder in "The Reformed Church" of Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Children 1. George, 2. Susanna, 3. Samuel, 4. Jacob and 5. Eve were children of his first wife, name unknown. The rest were children of Anna Margaretha.
John Jacob Hoke's son, Andrew, Sr. was at the battle of Braddock's defeat and surrender; also at the battle of Trenton and surrender of Hessians.
6. Andrew, Sr. migrated to Kentucky, November 1795 with his sons, Adam, Jacob, Peter and Leonard.
7. Jacob's sons were John, Andrew, Jr. and Jacob.
8. Andrew, Jr. was the father of Edward Hoke
Andrew, Sr. died at Jeffersontown, Kentucky, January 3, 1800 aged 66 years.
Peter Hoke was the son of Andrew Sr. His son Jacob's mother was a Miss Myers or Meyer.
His son, Henry B. Hoke's mother was Ellen or Nelly Easum or Isom.
Jacob Hoke, son of Peter, married Elizabeth Christ, whose mother was a Wise.
Fred Hoke, Peter's son, married Susan Christ.

1728 John Jacob Hock, immigrant at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (10)

John Hoke, presumable the son of Andrew Hoke, Sr., having died, his widow and children migrated to North Carolina and were the progenitors of the Hoke's of that state, South Carolina and Georgia, among them, General Robert Hoke of the Confederate Army, Colonel John Hoke, Hoke Smith, Governor of Georgia A. Hoke Donaldson of Greenville, S.C., a lawyer, and many other of different names.

George Hoke, Sr. who was related to Andrew Hoke, Sr. but whether as brother or cousin I do not know. I know that his son Cornelius and Andrew Hoke, Jr. called each other cousins.
George Hoke, Sr. was father of George, Jr. and Judge W. B. Hoke.
George Hoke, Sr. came to Kentucky about the same time when Andrew Hoke, Sr. came and settled on Floyd's Fork.
Andrew Hoke, Sr. migrated from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania to Jefferson County, Kentucky, November, 1795, with his sons Adam, Peter, Jacob and Leonard
Adam Hoke had one son Adam, Jr. who had one son, John Adam.
Peter Hoke had three sons, Jacob, Jr., Frederick and Henry.
Jacob Hoke had three sons, John, Andres, Jr. and Jacob.
Leonard Hoke had one son, John, who migrated to Adams County, Ill. His eldest son was Fontaine Hoke.

At about the time when Andrew Hoke, Sr. came to Kentucky, John Hoke's widow with her children migrated to North Carolina. This family became the fore parents of Hokes, Smiths, Donaldsons and other kin of North Carolina, S. Carolina and Georgia. This is about all I surely know of the lineage of the Hoke family.

Beginning at the other end, John Jacob Hoock (Hook, Hoke or Hoch) came from Mannheim, German, about 1735, was pastor of the German Reformed Church at Lancaster City, Penn. I do not know for sure if he was the father of Andrew Hoke, Sr. or grandfather, but I have assumed that he was the fore father of the Hokes in Pennsylvania.

1736: The Reformed congregation in Lancaster: The congregation must have originated between 1730-1732. Its elders in 1733 were John Jacob Hook and Andrew Halsbrun. The first church record of the congregation was opened in 1736. It presents the following historical statement regarding the first church building and the first pastor: "Now as regards the building of our church, the beginning was made in the year 1736, and by the help of God it was so far completed that on the 20th of June, or upon the festival of Holy Whitsuntide, we held divine services in it for the first time. The teacher, preacher and pastor, called to this office of God, was the reverend and truly pious John Jacob Hock.....John Jacob Hock served the congregation from June, 1736, to October, 1737 (16)

My grandfather Jacob Hoke, signed his name in German Script Hoock, Hock in the English Hoke. The first German Reformed Church stood nearly opposite the present (1840) Church. Rev. John Jacob Hook or Hock, pastor 1736. (1)

Rev. John Jacob Hock:
1734 through October, 1737 there were many Baptism records at the First Reformed Congregation, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. (7)

The ministry of John Jacob Hock in the Lancaster congregation ended on October 30, 1737. Regarding him, Dr. Dubbs writes:

John Jacob Hock had previously been a ruling elder in the congregation and was chosen to the ministry by the people, somewhat as Boehm had been called at the beginning of his work. He also preached at Bethany, near Ephrata, and as soon as a regular minister could be secured he retired to private life.

In 1738 Johann Hock and many other German and Swiss were naturalized. All Protestants.

In a list of names taken in 1840, the spelling of many names had been changed thus -- Hoock, Hoch, Hock, Howk, Houch, Hawk, Hock, Hoke.

1753-09-02 Jacob Hoog and wife Anna Margaret were witness for Baptism of John Jacob Brennle son of Jacob and Eva Brennle. (2)

Order your House for you must Die and not Live.....

Jacob's personal estate listed hundreds of items, further proof that he was a wealthy man of his time. Personal items of clothing were "a small jacket, black Jacket and pr. of Black Hose, 3 shirts, Big Coat, old Hatt, Coat and jacket, pr. of Stockins, and a pair of Velvet Breeches." Other items included "Pepermill and salt sellor, pewter mug, dishes and baizon, fron stove, 2 beds and bedsteads (with one) bed curtains, walnut table, chest, a woman's and an old man's sadles, clock, looking glass, Bible, three books, three psalm books, a pot and tea spoons,...churn, spining wheel, barrels, utensils, and farm equipment."

Continuing from the "Hoke" book

Jacob was quite a well to do man for his time. It took three pages 14 X 8 to list his personal estate. Among the more interesting items were: "Pepermill and salt sellor, pewter mug, dishes and baizon, from stove, 2 beds and bedsteads (one with) bed curtains, walnut table, chest, a woman's and an old man's sadles, clock, looking glass, Bible, three books, three psalm books, tea pot and tea spoons," as well as the usual churn, spining wheel, barrels, iron utensils and farm equipment. His personal clothing was "a small jacket, Black Jacket and pr. of Black Hose, 3 shirts, Big Coat, old Hatt, Coat and Jacket, pr. of stockins and a pair of Velvet Breeches.

John Jacob Hock, reformed. Arrived at Philadelphia on August 24, 1728. Identified by Conrad Tempelman in February 1733 as an elder in one of the three congregations in the Conestoga settlement, presumably the one at Lancaster. An entry in the Lancaster church register in 1736 states that " the teacher, preacher, or pastor of the honorable and virtuous Mr. Johann Jacob Hock." Thirty-four baptisms entered between June 1736 and August 1737 are attributed to him. There is no reliable evidence of what then became of him, but it should be noted that Bartholomew Rieger did not become a pastor of the congregation until 1739.

Children listed from Jacob's will and Andrew's court petition April 11, 1785 with the exception of Frederick and John Phillip.

Frederick Hoke of Manchester Township, York County, Pennsylvania Will C-43 made May 10, 1771, prob July 1, 1771 names as heirs: brothers, Conrad, Casper and Henry; Executors: brothers, Andres and John Hoke.

Johann Phillip - Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in York, Pennsylvania records: Johnann Phillip son of Jacob Hook and wife Margretha b. Jan 5 or 8, 1752.

We have been showing Johann Jacob Hoke born about 1695. The record we found shows Johannes Hoke born 2 Sep 1696. Father was Johann Georg Hoke, which is spelled the same as we had for Johann Jacob Hoke. Married to Anna Maria. We had Anna Margratha.

We have linked the families together in our database however we have no firm proof this is the same Johann. This way we won't lose the data.

Casper Hoke b. January 6, 1744 d. July 16, 1821 was a blacksmith and farmer in either Paradise or Heidleburg Township, York County, PA. Casper was the son of immigrant Johann Jacob Hoke b. abt March 20, 1695 d. abt June 21, 1766 and his second wife, Anna Margaretha (Mueller?) b. abt 1711 d. March 7, 1785. Casper had a brother Johannes Hoke b. abt 1740 d. October 27, 1781 m. abt 1762 to Maria Sabina Swope.

Anna Margaretha's death: York County, Pennsylvania Will F-337 dated march 7, 1785; the petition of Andrew OC/E-283-284, dated Apr 11, 1785 stating "that Jacob Hoke died owner of land on west side of Beaver St., Yorktown - leaving a widow Margaret now deceased...".

I have a copy of the book by Rev. Hoover. I know it was printed in a limited edition of 1500 copies in 1990. (I think they were all sold out) This was a more factual account of the family than the one published by Rev. Hoover of his father-in-law's (George Washington Hoke) memories.

I am hoping to get it on-line, I'm about half done with my database. I type fast, but this is a big book! It does have a Library of Congress #ISBN-0-0626667-0-X.

This branch of the family lived in Berks/Turpenhock/Lebanon Counties PA and my branch moved on to Ohio in the 1860's. (notice the hock on the end of Turpenhock)The family farm in PA was located next to the "historic homestead of Michael Dohner built in 1711".

The three Hoke brothers settled in PA first, then the younger two moved south and west from Lebanon. All three were the sons of Andreas and Anna Catharina Hoke of Webenheim, West Germany. (see the message I posted today in response to the picture of my Great-Grandfather Elias for my complete lineage)

My book doesn't have an index, but if I knew who you were looking for, I could give it a shot. I'm a little slow, but do try to answer. (4)

Note: The above family appears to be a different branch than the one in the I, Hoke book.

Johan Jacob HÖCK arrived in America on the ship "Martenhouse" or "Mortenhouse" in 1728. He married wife 1 in Germany and wife 2 , Anna Margaretha ? in America. (Marraige in Germany not proven - Dates unknown)

The Pennsylvania-German Society book stated that we have no records of the ship arrivals between 1714 and 1727, but the number was considerable. Rev. Rieger estimated that 15,000 Germans were in America by 1727. By 1750, the estimate is between 42,000 and 47,000. In 1728, 1729 and 1730 the arrivals were 390,243,458 respectively. In 1732, the number was 2,093. In the year 1738, sixteen immigrant ships reached port, bringing from 15 to 349 passengers each, or a total of 3,115. By 1790 one third of the population of Pennsylvania was German. Since most of the Germans were farmers they spread out over the countryside and began cutting down trees and building farms. They were hard working and prosperous. The price of passage to America was about five pistoles per head freight for some years and the merchants and captains crowded the passengers like herrings and many were forced to stay on deck with about 12 inches of space. Many times they did not have enough food or water and many sickened and died enroute. Christopher Sauer wrote of the German's plight, "Among other grievances the Germans suffer is one viz: that the ignorant Germans agree fairly with the merchants at Holland for seven pistoles and a half; when they come to Philadelphia the merchants make them pay what they please, and take at least nine pistoles. The poor people on board are prisoners. They durst not go ashore, or have their chests delivered, except they allow in a bond or pay what they owe not; and when they go into the country, they loudly complain there, that no justice is to be had for poor strangers. They show their agreements, wherein is faily mentioned that they are to pay seven pistoles and a half to Issac and Zacharay Hoke, at Rotterdam, or their order at Philadelphia, etc. "When family members came to America and some of the family died enroute the survivors were forced to pay the passage for those who had died. Caspar Wistar wrote in 1732: "Last year a ship was twenty four weeks at sea, and of the 150 passengers on board thereof, more than 100 died of hunger and privation, and the survivors were imprisoned and compelled to pay the entire passage-money for themselves and the deceased. In this year 10 ships arrived in Philadelphia with 5,000 passengers, One ship was seventeen weeks at sea and about 60 passengers thereof died."

"Johan Jacob HÖck (Hoke), Reformed. Arrived at Philadelphia on August 24, 1728. Identified by Conrad Templeman in February 1733 as an elder in one of the three congregations in the Conestoga settlement, presumably the one at Lancaster, PA. An entry in the Lancaster church register in 1736 states 'the teacher, preacher, or pastor was the honorable and virtuous Mr. Johann Jacob Hock'. Thirty-four baptisms entered between June 1736 and August 1737 are attributed to him. There is no reliable evidence of what then became of him, but it should be noted that Bartholomew Rieger did not become pastor of the congregation until 1739.
Event Christened - [date: ABT. 1766] [place: Died Lancaster or York Co. PA]
(5)

Johann Jacob HOKE
Sex: M
Event(s):
Birth: 20 Mar 1695
Monheim A Rhein, Rheinland, Preussen
Parents:
Father: Andrew HOKE
Mother:
Johann Jacob Hoke, 20 Mar 1695, son of Andres Hoke (6)

John Hoke Will: Dated 10 May 1771, proved 1 Jul 1771, Frederick Hoke, May 10, 1771. Executors: John and Adrew Hoke, Manchester Township, Brothers: Conrad, Casper, Henry and Andrew. (9)
In 1763 Peter and his brother John purchased the homestead of their parents (13)

(1) From old letters and records apparently written by Edward Hoke:
(2) York County Church Records - Christ Lutheran Church, York County, Pennsylvania
(4) Forum posting in Genealogy.com by webmaster@stacisgarden.zzn.com
(5) Pennsylvania - German Society Book
(6) LDS has listed with Source Call No. 1553395
(7) Pennsylvania Church Records, Lancaster County
(8) http://www.horseshoe.cc/pennadutch/religion/reformed/reforme...
(9) York County, Pennsylvania Wills 1749-1819
(10) Ralph Beaver Strassburger, Pennsylvania German Pioneers, page 19
(11) Will of Johannes Hoke
(12) Philadelphia Arrivals 1791-1792
(13) Land Records of York County
(14) York County, PA OC/B 62 prob. June 21, 1766 (original in German) - English translation
(15) http://www.horseshoe.cc/pennadutch/religion/reformed/reforme...
(16) Life and letters of the Rev. John Philip Boehm, founder of the Reformed ... By John Philip Boehm
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alfonsa111 1 Jul 2011 1:56AM GMT 
alfonsa111 1 Jul 2011 1:56AM GMT 
nana8697 2 Jul 2011 2:38PM GMT 
brendli 1 Jul 2011 2:38PM GMT 
alfonsa111 2 Jul 2011 8:47PM GMT 
brendli 3 Jul 2011 5:01PM GMT 
alfonsa111 4 Jul 2011 12:53AM GMT 
brendli 4 Jul 2011 2:20AM GMT 
alfonsa111 4 Jul 2011 4:21AM GMT 
alfonsa111 4 Jul 2011 5:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions