Search for content in message boards

William Hood Jr. & wife Martha in Lunenburg Co, VA, 1800s

Replies: 7

William Hood Jr. & wife Martha in Lunenburg Co, VA, 1800s

Posted: 4 Mar 2003 7:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Aug 2005 8:21AM GMT
Surnames: Hood
I'm trying to find the maiden name of William Hood Jr.'s wife, Martha. William's will is dated 23 April 1821, Probate 17 March 1823, Will Book 8, page 269
Mentions: wife Martha Hood; sons Jesse, Richard, Joel, William, Joshua; daughters Martha Hood, Susannah Bates, Nancy Landrum; granddaughters Martha Hood, Frances Anne Hood
Executors: Joel Hood, Plesant Barnes, Joshua Cole
Witnesses: Merewither Hurt, Richard (X) Overton, Jeremiah Bates.

I had thought for awhile she might be Martha Blair, but another Hood researcher sent info that she is descended from William Hood and Martha Blair of Venango County Pa. They believe he was born in Scotland about 1759 and was the Ensign in the Va regiment from Jan to Oct 1777, later enlisting in the 11th Pa Regiment under Thomas Hartley. She said they are still trying to validate this military info. However, she says she is certain about the Hood and Blair names, as they come in a direct line from their son Samuel Blair Hood, who married Sarah Miller in Pa and raised their children in Wis. The children she listed for William and Martha are Elizabeth, John, William, David, Moses, James, Alexander, Blair, Thomas, Rebecca, and Samuel.

These are obviously not the children listed in the will of William Hood Jr. of Lunenburg County, VA. Does anyone have any information on William Jr.'s wife? I've noticed a lot of intermarriage between the HOODS, LANDRUMS, BATES, CRAFTONS and TUCKERS during this time period.

Also, since William is a Jr., there was evidently a William, Sr. Could these be the two Williams mentioned in Thomas Hood's will in Amelia County, VA?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Juli_Morgan 4 Mar 2003 2:30PM GMT 
Kim 7 Jun 2003 10:04PM GMT 
Juli_Morgan 7 Jun 2003 10:18PM GMT 
Kim 7 Jun 2003 11:51PM GMT 
@@sgoo704690@... 15 Aug 2003 5:22PM GMT 
NancyAbraham4... 15 Jul 2005 10:17PM GMT 
lisaakamaasha 3 Dec 2012 4:43AM GMT 
larrym126 4 Feb 2013 2:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic