Search for content in message boards

DAVID HOOD, Early DAVIDSON Co, TN SETTLER and TEACHER of Gen. JAMES ROBERTSON's YOUNG CHILDREN

Replies: 2

DAVID HOOD, Early DAVIDSON Co, TN SETTLER and TEACHER of Gen. JAMES ROBERTSON's YOUNG CHILDREN

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
DAVID HOOD was an early settler of Nashville, Davidson Co, TN and a teacher of Gen James Robertson's young children. He was once scalped by Indians near the French Lick in what became Nashville. Having been taught how to deal with this injury by a pioneer surgeon, Gen. Robertson did "pioneer surgery" on David Hood's scalp probably saving his life after he was brought back to Ft. Nashborough and given up for dead.

In a letter written to the TN Historical Society by Ezekial Brownlee Mason in Feb. 1876, Mr. Mason describes the family of James and Winney Martin and their son, William Martin.

Allegedly a handsaw previously belonging to Gen. James Robertson came into the possession of David Hood and eventually passed to James Martin. And James Martin passed the hand saw on to his son, William.

William Martin is my g-g-g grandfather.

The purpose of the letter was to describe two artifacts donated "through me (E. B. Mason)" to the Historical Society by two of William Martin's daughters, the James Robertson hand saw and a battle ax used by their father in the 1813 Creek Indian War and the 1815 Battle of New Orleans.

Mr. Mason states that James Martin and family "settled" near Nashville in 1790 where James' son, William, was born 9 Nov 1793 "on the north side of the Cumerland near the French Lick." Actually the date that William Martin was born came from a family document passed down to me.

Does anyone have any information about David Hood: where he came from, when he migrated to Nashville?
In www.davidsoncocemeterysurvey.com, it is alleged that David Hood wasborn about 1750; died 1810-11; and probably was buried in the James Robertson Family Cemetery which has become abandoned/deserted.
Sincerely,
Charles R. Harris
charlie10333@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Charles R. Ha... 9 Jan 2013 2:54AM GMT 
Charles R. Ha... 12 Mar 2013 2:35AM GMT 
Charles R. Ha... 12 Mar 2013 2:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions