Search for content in message boards

Horgan's of Killorglin, Co Kerry

Replies: 89

Re: Horgan's of Killorglin, Co Kerry

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horgan, Clifford, Cromidas
I don't know if any of this information will help, but this is what I posted about 7 years ago on another genealogy forum. Perhaps we are distant cousins?

Hi there,

I'm trying to fill in some gaps in my research and hopefully find the missing link between known relatives north of Boston, MA, USA and Killorglin, Co. Kerry, IRE.

Timothy J. Horgan born @ Dec 1888 emigrated from Killorglin, Co. Kerry @ 1907 on the ship Ivernia out of Queenstown. His parents were John Horgan and Bridget (Clifford) Horgan. The only "records" of his siblings that I have are as they are listed in his 13 Jun 1946 obituary:

Jeremiah Horgan of Peabody, MA
Michael Horgan of Allston, MA
Daniel Horgan of Ireland
John Horgan of Ireland
Mrs. Mark A. Call of Salem, MA
Mrs. Michael Monahan of Salem, MA
Mrs. Timothy Scannell of Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA
Mrs. Mary Clifford of Ireland
Miss Delia Horgan of Ireland
Miss Catherine Horgan of Ireland

He entered the US through the port of Boston and lists a Hannah Horgan of Peabody, MA as his final destination.
(A hunch is possibly that the Hannah Horgan later married one of the husbands named in the obituary, or perhaps it was a wife of one of his brothers who had already emigrated here.)

He later married Margaret M. Mullarkey, who emigrated from Co. Sligo, IRE @ 1909 and was living in Salem, MA at the time. Her parents were Patrick and Margaret (McGoldrick) Mullarkey of County Sligo. The only known sibling I have for her is her sister Rose, who emigrated to Salem, MA and was listed as the final destination on Margaret A. Mullarkey's immigration records.

Both Timothy J. and Margaret (Mullarkey) Horgan were communicants of St Mary's of the Immaculate Conception in Salem.

They had four sons, all born in Salem, MA:

James P. Horgan (15 Oct 1917 - 03 Mar 1978)
John T. Horgan (30 Jan 1919 - 19 Dec 1986, died in Oswego, NY)
Clifford T. Horgan (31 Mar 1921 - 02 Oct 1972, last known residence mentioned is New York City, NY)
Francis M. Horgan (08 May 1923 - 27 Dec 1997)

Francis M. Horgan is my grandfather, through his son Peter F. Horgan. He married Joanne (Cromidas) Horgan, born Jan 11 1932. Marriage date unknown. They had three kids:

Timothy M. Horgan, born Feb 3 1956
Peter F. Horgan, born Sep 16 1959
Lisa M. Horgan, born Oct around 1962

My grandfather, Francis M. Horgan and his second wife, Joan, visited Ireland in the early 1980s. At that time, they visited a cousin by the name of John Horgan who at the time was married with two kids and was living in a small cottage somewhere in Killorglin, Co. Kerry, IRE.

Any insight or help or added information would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, many of my relatives who emigrated to the USA or whose parents emigrated have either passed away or simply not much was known about their existence to start with.

Thank you very much.

~ Candice Horgan
Peabody, MA, USA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joseph Horgan 30 Aug 2001 7:28PM GMT 
bunfly1 9 Sep 2001 5:05PM GMT 
Jim Horgan 21 Feb 2001 2:14PM GMT 
judyparker288 2 Oct 2001 2:35AM GMT 
eenewman 23 May 2010 9:19PM GMT 
Katherine 7 Apr 2004 5:50AM GMT 
eenewman 23 May 2010 9:13PM GMT 
katherine 8 Apr 2004 5:21AM GMT 
flhogi 6 Aug 2010 3:56AM GMT 
Candice Horga... 3 Sep 2013 10:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions