Search for content in message boards

Hoy Station, KY 1780

Replies: 7

Hoy Station, KY 1780

Gene Martin (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2005 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoy, Callaway
Looking for information of the early days of Hoy’s Station. Data I have found has been fragmentary and piecemeal. Hoy’s Station is referenced often in the early KY happenings but with little detail. From what I can put together, Hoy’s Station was established in 1780 by William and Sarah Callaway Hoy, in then Lincoln County VA (Kentucky Territory), later to be Madison County. It appears to have been located about six miles north of present day Richmond. During the Indian raids of 1782, Jones Hoy, nine-year son of William and Sarah was abducted, along with Jack Callaway. I speculate that Jack Callaway was the seven-year John Callaway, son of Richard and Elizabeth Jones Callaway. Richard Callaway was killed in 1780 while living at Boonsboro and Elizabeth Callaway was the widow of John Hoy mother of William Hoy, prior to marrying Richard Callaway, and was likely living at Hoy Station in 1782 I can find no details, but it appears Jack Callaway returned in a couple of years, while Jones Hoy was retained for about seven years. William Hoy died in early 1790, there is a detailed will and property inventory for him, but I can find no birth year and have estimated he died at about 40 years of age. Also, I find information that a second son, Rowland, born 1779 was killed by Indians in Aug 1790. I have found no detail if Rowland’s death was from earlier wounds, from perhaps an incident that led to William Hoy’s death in March 1790.
I will appreciate any information, or reference to information that will help me learn more about Hoy Station and its people. William and Sarah Callaway Hoy are my great X 3 grandparents via their youngest child, Celia, born 1788 and married John Newland.
Gene Martin, Phoenix, AZ
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gene Martin 17 Oct 2005 12:04AM GMT 
Felix Hoy 18 Oct 2005 4:28AM GMT 
vstesnar 17 Jun 2011 7:55PM GMT 
valhoy143 18 Mar 2008 2:42AM GMT 
GeneMartin59 24 Mar 2008 2:53AM GMT 
Janice Hoy 15 Apr 2008 2:56PM GMT 
JCooperCampbe... 12 Feb 2013 6:17AM GMT 
Janice Hoy 13 Feb 2013 4:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic