Search for content in message boards

Richard Hullbert and Anne Bower Wiltshire 1600s

Replies: 0

Richard Hullbert and Anne Bower Wiltshire 1600s

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 6:03AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Hulbert Bower
There are 404 public member trees on ancestry which include this couple of which 77 specify a marriage date/place and my recent research into Hulbert wills suggests that they are all inaccurate/misleading.

Some are based on a marriage on 3 May 1600 or 1606 in Bratton. There is no record of this marriage (or any Hulbert marriage in Bratton) in the complete transcription of Wiltshire parish marriage registers published by Nimrod Research and Wiltshire FHS. The only source cited in the family trees is un unreliable database on ancestry which actually gives the year as 1690 - clearly impossible.

There is good evidence of a marriage on 26 October 1601 in West Lavington between Anne Bower and Sefton Bromwich - who was buried in Bratton on 11 July 1607. Anne then married Richard Hulbert on 2 January 1609 in West Lavington and they had children in Bratton (but not the children listed in the family trees). Anne must have died sometime between 1614 and 1620 and Richard then married Anne Westfield 13 April 1620 in Imber and had more children there.

But this Richard was not born in 1574 to Richard Hulbert and Elizabeth Oxford. He was christened in Corsham on 29 November 1584, died 15 May 1635 and was the son of James Hulbert of Corsham.

I have read the wills of James, his sons John, Thomas and Richard, Richard's widow and his son James and the whole family mesh together.

Please contact me if you want further information.

Find a board about a specific topic