Search for content in message boards

Hunt of Walpole NH

Replies: 0

Hunt of Walpole NH

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: hunt selden
Old letter dated August 13, 1839 written by Seth Hunt, and addressed to Abraham Richards, Esq., New York New York. I think Seth Hunt was of Walpole NH.

Hawesville, Kentucky
August 13, 1839

My friend David Selden,

I have your favor from London of the 5 July per Great Western & am gratified to learn that you have at last got on terms with the Tomkins, My answer to your enquiry whether the two sons of James Niven died without issue, leaving Mrs. Tompkins sole heir, I have to say that such I have no doubt to be the fact. The youngest died when a young lad and, as I learned, a midshipman in the Navy. The other son died somewhere in Ireland without leaving any issue, but these facts, I believe, I learnt from Mr. Tompkins, as coming from Mrs. Smith Mrs. Tompkins mother & the wife of Admiral Richard Tyrrell Smith. But I write from memory only, not having the papers relative to the Vermont & New Hampshire lands to refer to. They are at my mothers at Walpole.

I hope my friend, you will not leave England without making some definite arrangement with Mr. & Mrs. Tompkins. If you do, the business will no doubt keep forever & the lands & all hope of benefit will be forever lost to them & their children after them. It is wonderful how this business has been procrastinated and what changes have taken place since 1810 to render the recovery of the lands more difficult than at that time.

I address this hasty letter to Mr. Richards according to your direction & he will I have no doubt forward it to you & return a copy which you will find in case you should come home in the George Washington.

Very truly yours, Seth Hunt

Find a board about a specific topic