Search for content in message boards

Moses Hunter

Replies: 3

Re: Moses Hunter

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 11:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
My father was born in Greenbrier Co., WV and was the son of Ulysses Ray Walkup and Margie Hunter; His mother was the daughter of Jennings Brian Hunter and Zenna Walkup, who was the son of Robert Hunter, then Sarah Kelly and Moses Hunter. According to the information my father recieved from other relatives, Moses Hunter was killed during the civil war in Droop mountain, there by making it impossible for him to have fathered Robert Hunter.

I have been looking into this line and found some interesting information.

Greenbrier County Virginia
Deeds and Wills
1750-1833

Deed Book 4
Page 393-394

25 Jan 1812; Moses Hunter of Tyrone County Great Britain, called Ireland, which was his birth place and residence until he sailed and landed at Philadelphia on 23 Sep 1811, arrived in Greenbrier Co., in October and was 25 years old May 11, 1812 and determined to become an American citizen.

Page 394-396

11 May 1811; Wm White, late of Greenbrier Co., by his last will 27 Oct 1799 gave brother Robert White in Ireland, Wm White his brother's son in Ireland, his sister Mary Hunter's children all his land of 427 acres and bills, money, etc to be equally divided. Thomas Edgar and Charles Arbuckle were appointed executors. Robert White, Wm White, George Hunter, Mathew Hunter, Sarah Hunter (otherwise Brown), and huband Wm. Brown, Jean Hunter; whereas George, Mathew, Sarah, Jean lawful issue of Mary White, otherwise Hunter (d'ced) appoint Moses Hunter (lawful son of Mary White Hunter and one of the legatees) to act and take control of the land, money, etc. Wit. Frederick Hunter, Wm White in city of Londonberry in UK called Ireland.

List of Passengers per Ship FAME, Captain William Pollock, arrived at Philadelphia from Derry, 31 August, 1811, in 63 days.

Moses Hunter 25

There is a Moses Hunter in 1820, 1830 Greenbrier Co., census; no census if available for the 1840 Greenbrier on Ancestry.com; then in 1850 there is a Moses Hunter age age 87, born in Ireland living with John and Rebecca Miller; then in 1860 a Moses Hunter age 75 (25?) with Sarah Kelly and children; He does not appear after that.

In Greenbrier Co., there is a will for a Moses Hunter written Jan 4, 1853 and probated June 1855. In it it bequeathed to John McPherson and William Eary all the remainder of my estate, both personal and real but to Garret Brown all the title to a tract of land lying on the Sweet Spring Turnpike, containing 100 acreas. Also mentioned Benjamin Parkins.

This will seems to suggest that this Moses Hunter was either unmarried or widower with no heirs.

Also in Greenbrier, Moses' brother Mathew Hunter will mentions To George, Moses, Mathew, John, sons; Mary Eliza, Isabella and Margaret daughters. Give all land on Dry Branch to sons Mathew and John. Dated Oct 23, 1837 and probated Nov 1837.

This could support that Moses Hunter, son of Mathew Hunter maybe the Moses Hunter who is listed in the 1860 Census as Sarah's husband. But since he does not appear in the 1870 cenus, then it goes back to the therapy he died at Droops Mountain 1863 and could not have fathered Robert who was born 1867.

Name: Moses Hunter
Enlistment Date: 06 March 1863
Distinguished Service: Distinguished Services
Side Served: Confederacy
State Served: Virginia
Unit Numbers: 773 773

Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 06 March 1863, Substitute in Company E, 22nd Infantry Regiment Virginia on 06 March 1863. Killed Company E, 22nd Infantry Regiment Virginia on 06 November 1863 in Droop Mountain, WV

The notation on the information I recieved from my father on Robert Hunter was "George Hayslett and Sarah Kelly were never married. Robert Hunter is their illegitimate son. Information verified by Roy M. & Ray J. Hunter."

I wonder if a death certificate exist for Robert Hunter who died in 1938 in Greenbrier?

Janet
Atlanta
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bj_Coburn11 3 Jul 2004 2:53AM GMT 
JanetSkelton3... 17 Jan 2005 6:53AM GMT 
Beverly Graybill 20 Jan 2005 2:55AM GMT 
DanaHenderson... 27 Aug 2011 2:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic