Search for content in message boards

Brooklyn, NY, 1850 to 1950

Replies: 1

Brooklyn, NY, 1850 to 1950

Posted: 25 Jan 2014 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchinson, Wyman
Hello,

Just wanted to mention that I'd still love to find a descendant of 3 HUTCHINSON siblings who left Winchester, MA, and moved to Brooklyn, NY, during the 1850's. They were oldest brother, John B. HUTCHINSON, b~1815 MA, and 2 of his married sisters.

I just rechecked the information at www.familysearch.org and was reminded that John and Ruthy (WYMAN) HUTCHINSON who married in MA in 1838, were still in MA in 1850. So, they moved shortly after with 3, small children. They were son, John W. HUTCHINSON, b~1840, son, Edward B. HUTCHINSON, b~1843, and daughter, Sarah R. HUTCHINSON, b~1847.

I don't believe Sarah ever married. Information on-line had son, John W. HUTCHINSON, having a wife, Gertrude (?) HUTCHINSON, who had been born in VT. The 1880 census has them with only 2 daughters, Ruth L. HUTCHINSON, 7, and Margaret HUTCHINSON, 4. They had her nephew, Louis SCOTT, 21, with them, from VT.

Information on-line had son, Edward W. HUTCHINSON, having a wife, Effie (?) HUTCHINSON, born NY. The 1880 census has them with a daughter, Sarah W. HUTCHINSON, 3, and a newborn son, John B. HUTCHINSON.

Without the 1890 census, I cannot tell whether the sons and their wives had additional children.

I'll have to check more whether the grandson, John B. HUTCHINSON, b1880, remained in Brooklyn, NY. (He would probably have had to sign up for the WW I Draft ~1917.)

The whole, extended family, including the families of the 2 sisters, were in the "wholesale" business in Brooklyn. Sometimes in fabrics, sometimes in flour, one son in .guns.

IF I have time tomorrow, I'll check these families for the later census records, 1900-1940.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(on Lists and Boards for 12 yrs.; now an Admin for 11 Lists and 5 Boards,
including some for CAN-USA-Migration )

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bbffrrpp 25 Jan 2014 8:39PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 29 Oct 2014 10:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic