Search for content in message boards

Albert HUTCHINSON, seaman, had son, Johnny, 1852 Boston, MA, put up for adoption

Replies: 1

Albert HUTCHINSON, seaman, had son, Johnny, 1852 Boston, MA, put up for adoption

Posted: 7 Feb 2014 5:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchinson, Sanborn
Hello,

A researcher has e-mailed me this week asking for help in finding out about a HUTCHINSON family initially in MA, or in Boston. It's one of those sad stories. Albert HUTCHINSON was a seaman probably based in Boston. Probably ~1848-1850 he married, and they had a son, John / Johnny. The wife died young and the baby (or toddler) was taken to a "foundling home" in Boston. The researcher does not know where the boy lived to Age 10, but in 1861 he was sent to a farm in Orange Co., VT. The SANBORN couple changed his name to George SANBORN. But, he didn't find till he was an adult that they never officially adopted him. For several reasons, he got angry, and changed his name back possibly to John HUTCHINSON, b~1852 in MA. But, I was looking at on-line census records last night, and it seems he decided to be a .George. HUTCHINSON. He married in VT ~1878, and the couple had 3 daughters.

Johnny was probably not part of the "orphan train movement" out of Boston. A relative of the SANBORN couple had made the arrangements for the 11-yr-old boy to be sent to VT.

The researcher would like to know if anyone knows who the father, Albert HUTCHINSON, was.

Also, the SANBORN couple hid the information from him, but he found out he had a relative in Kansas, named C. C. HUTCHINSON. He was not allowed to find the person.

I've done a little on-line looking, and I'm not finding an Albert HUTCHINSON who was, or became, a seaman from New England 1850-1860.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(on Lists and Boards for 12 yrs.; now an Admin for 11 Lists and 5 Boards)

(just a reminder of the several spelling variations, like HUTHINGSON and HUTCHINS)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bbffrrpp 7 Feb 2014 12:32PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 8 Feb 2014 11:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic