Search for content in message boards

Daniel L. Hymes

Replies: 2

Re: Daniel L. Hymes

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 6:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Suellen Hymes Musgrove. I am the second cousin of Chester Mark Hymes (who looks just like my dad) and first cousin of Chester LeRoy Hymes. My father was Gene Daniel Hymes, son of Charles Hymes, Grandson of Daniel Hymes who drowned in the Missouri River in 1894 and great grandson of George Hymes who fought in the Civil War and then migrated from Pennsylvania to Blue Springs Missour with his five youngest children. He had been married before to a lady who died and had three children. The census of 1860 lists him as George Himes. His new wife was called Martha. His oldest daughter in Missouri was called Alice and she married the son of a prominent farmer in Blue Springs. My grandparents had about 13 grandchildren from four of their children. My father Gene was the younger brother of Chet Hymes. Chet Hymes won the national go-kart racing championship in Europe in the 1960's. He had eight children of which LeRoy was the first born. His first wife died of strep throat in a hotel in California in the 30's when he traveled to LA to get a job with the airline building industry. She left three little children - LeRoy, Dale and Martha Jane. Her name was Crystal. In a couple of years Chet married Lela at the lake of the Ozarks and had five more children - Charlie, Jimmy, Betty, Sheila and Sharlene. They are my first cousins. I have traced the family back to George and Martha Hymes. She was his next door neighbor in Pennysylvania and he married her after his first wife died. I have not been able to get back further than the 1860 census for George Himes (Hymes). I know he was in the Pennsylvania Infantry in the Civil War. He was a prosperous farmer in Blue Springs. I only know his descendants that derived from Daniel Hymes who drowned and left two small boys in Kansas City, MO. His son Charles grew up to be a mechanic in Ottawa Kansas and had six children with his wife Hazel. When the Lake of the Ozarks was formed, he moved his family to "the lake" and built two resorts on the new lake - one of them called Kottage Kamp. He died of cancer in 1947 and his wife Hazel, who was in a wheelchair lived into the 1960's. I also know that Martha Hymes, his grandmother, was still alive and living in Kansas City in 1910 with one of her younger sons. George died around 1896. If there are any distant cousins that eventually read this, please write to me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
suellenhymesm... 20 Apr 2003 3:27AM GMT 
Chester "Mark" Hymes 28 Jan 2005 6:13PM GMT 
suellenhymesm... 26 Apr 2007 12:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions