Search for content in message boards

John Jaggers and Elizabeth London

Replies: 21

Re: John Jaggers and Elizabeth London

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 10:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I researched your Jaggers family thinking that Sarah Ann Jaggers b.1837 was my g.g.grandmother. It then transpired that my Sarah Ann Jaggers (who married James Henry Smith) had trimmed her age by about 3 years on census forms and the Sarah Ann that I had been researching married John Stoneman. I have the following notes which I kept incase anyone asked about the Lambeth Jaggers.

LAMBETH JAGGERS
John Jaggers was born abt, 1780 in Clerkenwell. His 1st wife was Elizabeth and they had at least 7 children James b.abt 1804, Mary b.1807, Eliza Hannah b. abt 1808, John Thomas b abt 1813, Joseph b abt 1819, Robert William b. about 1822 and Henry b. abt 1826.
On the 1841 census John senior is living in Union Street, Lambeth, he is described as a chair maker and is living with his 2nd wife Ann (nee Body) whom he married in 1836.
Also living with them is Joseph (a smith who married Eleanor Fitzgibbon in 1846 and went on to be a railway clerk living in the Station House, Legbourne, Lincolnshire and then became the publican of ‘The Plough’ in Bloomsbury), Robert (a carpenter who later married Catherine Catchpole and became a greengrocer in Southwark) and Henry (a potter who doesn’t appear on later censuses).
In 1841 John Thomas Jaggers is a smith living in Vauxhall Walk with his wife Eliza (nee Hodges). They have 4 children, Eliza b. 20/03/1834, John b abt 1835, Sarah b 10/04/1837 and Caroline b abt 1839.

John Jaggers senior lost his 2nd wife in 1849. The 1851 census describes him as an undertaker still in Union St living with his 13 year old granddaughter Sarah (John Thomas’s daughter). John Thomas Jaggers is still in Vauxhall Walk and he is also described as an undertaker, living with him is his wife Eliza and their son John who is now a potter.

The 1861 census shows John Thomas Jaggers living in Chiswick with wife Eliza, occupation blacksmith. The 1871 census shows that they have moved to Wharf Cottage, Battersea where he is a barge smith. John Thomas Jaggers died in 1874 and his wife the following year.

I have the marriage certificate of Sarah Ann Jaggers and John Stoneman, I guess you probably have that too.
I think there is a possibility that we could link these Jaggers families too a common ancestor in the 18th century. I'm still working on it!!!!

Annette
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AvaChief 26 Jan 2010 5:21PM GMT 
anatford18 26 Jan 2010 5:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions