Search for content in message boards

Jarvis family of Wales - Carroll Co. Ohio - Jackson Co. Ohio - Perry Co. Ohio

Replies: 1

Re: Jarvis family of Wales - Carroll Co. Ohio - Jackson Co. Ohio - Perry Co. Ohio

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 3:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jarvis (John)
Hi Karen, I'm on a free one day pass on ancestry.ca
My greatgrandfather is John Jarvis from Wales, he married my grandmother's mother in the south of England, and he had four children with her Sybil, Elsie, May and John Jr Jarvis. He came to Canada (Quebec or later Ontario) and sent money back to his wife in Brighton where his wife and four children lived. My brother when visiting the family home in Brighton took a picture of it and it is a heritage building. My great grandmother was too scared to cross the ocean, so after many attempts of sending money back to her, to bring his wife and 4 children to Canada, he gave up. Years later my grandmother Sybil (Gossage) nee Jarvis came with her husband to Quebec and searched endlessly for her father in Quebec and in Canada. She never found him. The rest of the Jarvis clan stayed in Brighton. So my mother confirms my grandfather's name was John Jarvis and he was born and from Wales. I believe he was never found by my grandmother because he moved to the United States and probably remarried and had another family there. It is very hard to tract down family, as it seems records have not been kept as well as they have been in England. John Jarvis' wife in Brighton lived to age 90, and my mother, Vera Gladys Gossage is 91 years old. I don't know if this will be helpful to you as I wouldn't think John Jarvis would have recorded his first wife and family in Brighton, and there was no contact after the last time he sent money for them to come to Canada.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Karen Coffey 12 Sep 2002 3:14PM GMT 
suzlesterbeac... 29 Dec 2012 10:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions