Search for content in message boards

Ida Jane Jefferson -- b. 1879 MO

Replies: 14

Re: Ida Jane Jefferson and Thomas Jefferson Lineage

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 10:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
No you are wrong again, I did look up Dr. Foster's DNA testing and this is what I found:
Dr. Eugene Foster and a team of geneticists tested Y-chromosomal DNA samples from male-line descendants of Field Jefferson.
There were approximately 25 adult male Jeffersons who carried this chromosome living in Virginia at that time, and a few of them are known to have visited Monticello.
Shortly after the DNA test results were released in November 1998, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation formed a research committee consisting of nine members of the foundation staff, including four with Ph.D.s. In January 2000, the committee reported its finding that the weight of all known evidence - from the DNA study, original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data - indicated a high probability that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Eston Hemings, and that he was perhaps the father of all six of Sally Hemings' children listed in Monticello records. •Thomas Jefferson was at Monticello at the likely conception times of Sally Hemings' six known children. There are no records suggesting that she was elsewhere at these times, or records of any births at times that would exclude Jefferson paternity. •Thomas Jefferson freed all of Sally Hemings' children: Beverly and Harriet were allowed to leave Monticello in 1822; Madison and Eston were released in Jefferson's 1826 will. Jefferson gave freedom to no other nuclear slave family. •The descendants of Madison Hemings who have lived as African-Americans have passed a family history of descent from Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings down through the generations.
You are entitle to your own opinion but so am I. There is no reason why this issue should take away from his legacy or integrity though.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pettifme 15 Nov 2010 5:59PM GMT 
herbar157 15 Nov 2010 6:25PM GMT 
pettifme 15 Nov 2010 8:21PM GMT 
herbar157 16 Nov 2010 4:12PM GMT 
ashleymw1981 24 May 2012 2:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions