Search for content in message boards

Documentation

Replies: 0

Documentation

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 6:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I first started doing genealogy research I didn't write down anything except the bare facts. Then I quit researching altogether - life just got in the way!!!  But now that I am quite a bit older and starting to research again, I see that "no documentation" method is not good at all.  

While I had not yet published anything except an occasional board query, so I haven't contributed a lot to the mess, there are a lot of others who have been misled due to faulty or no documentation.  I've spent a good bit of time just correcting mistakes folks have on my immediate  family.  I hate to think what a mess it will be to sort out the distant generations that I don't have first hand knowledge of.   I so wish I'd had someone to tell me how to do it right the first time! And I'm so very appreciative of all the kind folks who've led me by the hand and been so helpful to me.

And that's one of the main reasons why I keep my tree private. I don't want it out there on the web until I have documents for the bulk of it.  I'm now going back and re-researching everyone and keeping a copy of any papers or digital records I can find.

Lots of work, but so worth it when I come across someone with incorrect info and need to convince them to correct their own trees. Without my documentation I would have a more difficult time getting the records straight. 

Thanks for listening! I love you all!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions