Search for content in message boards

Jolly's and Jett's possibly being French Huguenots?

Replies: 7

Jolly's and Jett's possibly being French Huguenots?

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jett, Jolly
I have read in various places, including a book in my local library, that the Jolly's (of which Nelson Jolly, Sr. and Nelson Jolly, Jr. come from) were most likely of French Huguenot lineage and ancestry. Also, I come from a line of Jett's that ultimately came to the Colonies that became the U.S. from England, but because of their surname they are said to actually be of French origin, since there were very few (if any) people with the last 'Jett' in England prior to 1600.
Based on WorldConnect entries here on Rootsweb, I supposedly go back, from Susan Jett and Thomas Fisher Jett (Great x 2-Grandmother and Great x 3-Grandfather, respectively), to a man named Peter Jett in London, England, and is said to be ultimately English, but there are notes on how the Jett's were said to have originated in France prior to coming to England and eventually the American Colonies. I have also found some surname origin websites that claim the Jett name originated in France before England, even well into the Renaissance era, not just like the Norman names prior to the invasion of 1066.

In a nutshell, does anybody have any primary sources or evidence that can legitimize claims that the Jolly or Jett families were of French origins, and possibly French Huguenot?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RyanLJ2008 4 Feb 2011 12:36AM GMT 
BeckyVaught51 6 Feb 2011 3:25PM GMT 
RyanLJ2008 8 Feb 2011 6:38AM GMT 
BeckyVaught51 10 Feb 2011 4:41PM GMT 
BrendaThornto... 25 Jun 2011 6:36PM GMT 
BeckyVaught51 27 Jun 2011 12:51PM GMT 
katblue42 25 May 2012 5:49PM GMT 
ruthknapman 3 Dec 2012 6:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions