Descendants of Joel Jones

Replies: 0

Descendants of Joel Jones

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 9:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
The Descendants of Joel Jones
Author: Elbert Smith
Call Number: CS71.J76
This book contains the history and genealogy of the Joel Jones family of Massachusetts.
Bibliographic Information: Smith, Elbert.
The Descendants of Joel Jones.
The Tuttle Company. Vermont 1925
------
Will of Nathaniel Jones,Jr..
June 12, 1788.
-----
In the name of God Amen
I Nathaniel Jones of Charlton in the County of Worcester and State of Massachusetts Bay yeoman, being in a comfortable measure of health and of a perfect sound disposing mind and memory thanks be given to God their for calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it and my body I recomend to the Earth to be buried in a decent and christian manner at the discretion of my Executor hereafter mentioned nothing doubting but at the General Resurection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God: and as touching such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with in this life I give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form........
First my will is that all my just debts and funeral charges be paid out of my estate; Second I give and bequeath to Eloner my dear and loving wife one third part of all my indoor movables of such as she shall choos to be at her own disposal and I likewise will that my sd wife should be comfortable and Honourabley supported out of my estate by my Executor, in like manner that is to keep her a good cow and a hors sumer and winter for her use the hors to be kept well shod fit for use and my meening is that my sd wife should have her choice of all my cows to be for her use after my discease. my will is that my Executor shall take particular care of my sd wife both in sickness and health that is to see that she has a comfortable support if she should not be able to take care of her self in any measure my will is that my Executor does deliver to my sd wife yearly nine score of good pork and eighty weight of good beef and two barels of sider and one bushel of malt ten pounds of good sheeps wool and ten pounds of good flax well dressed and also three pounds twelve shillings to be paid her yearly in money by my Executor--for necessary charges I likewise give to my sd wife a cumfortable room in the hous and likewise Liberty of the Cellar and likewise as many apples as she needs for her use.

3 ly my will is that the whole of my Estate both real and personal including all my farming tools--excepting that part that is hereafter mentioned be divided amongst all my children in the following manner that is to say Enos and Asa Eli and Phenehas--my four sons--and mary Streeter Hannah and Ellinor my three daughters in such a manner that my four sons above named should have each of them two shares to each of my daughters one share--the Exception above mentioned is that what money my two Sons Enos and Asa and my son in law Daniel Streeter the husband of my sd daughter Mary owe to my Estate should be divided amongs them in like manner that is in the same proportion of my real and personal estate my two sons two shares each of them and my Daughter Streeter one share

my will and meaning is that my two Sons Enos and Asa and daughter Streeter that what I have given them heretofore shall be reckned to them as so much of their portion or part of my estate and my other Children to be made equail to what they have receved before they come to shear with the above mentioned sums whis is to be divided as above mentioned is forty five pounds ten shillings.

4ly I likewise constitute & appoint my well beloved son Eli Jones my soul Executor to this my Last Will & Testament and hereby utterly Revoke Disalow & Disanul all and every former Will & Testament by me in any wise heretofore Named ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my Last Will and Testament in Testimony hereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this tenth day of May & in the year of our Lord One thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty one.
Signed sealed and Pronounced & declared by the sd Nathaniel Jones as his Last Will & Testament in the presence of us.
------
Joseph Parker Nathaniel Jones (Seal)
Frederick Parker,
Samll Parker
-----
This twelfth day of June in the
year of our Lord One thousand
seven hundred and eighty eight.
Endorsement
Series A. Case 33959
Nathaniel Jones
Will
Filed Sept 16, 1785
Disallowed Oct 6, 1795
Recorded Vol 26 Page 360
JONAS JONES4 (James3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Apr. 22, 1715; married Abigail Hartwell, Sept. 6, 1763. Settled in Shrewsbury, Conn.
CHILDREN
I Lucy Jones, b. Oct. 14, 1764.
II Jonas Jones, b. Nov. 29, 1765.
III Ephraim Jones, b. Nov. 29, 1765, twin of Jonas.
IV Richard Hall Jones, b. Oct. 1, 1767.
V Stephen Jones, b. Sept. 11, 1769; d. soon.
VI Hepzibah Jones, b. Dec. 22, 1770.
VII Stephen Jones, b. Nov. 26, 1775.
VIII Henry Jones, b. July 5, 1777.
IX Isaac Jones, b. Mar. 25, 1780.
The Descendants of Joel Jones
Author: Elbert Smith
Call Number: CS71.J76
This book contains the history and genealogy of the Joel Jones family of Massachusetts.
Bibliographic Information: Smith, Elbert. The Descendants of Joel Jones.
The Tuttle Company. Vermont 1925
------
Some of the Descendants of Lewis Jones and Ann Jones, of Roxbury, Mass., b. W. B. Trask.
Lewis Jones, of Roxbury, Mass., and Some of His Descendants in the South, in Sou. Hist. Assn. Publications, Washington,D. C., Vol. 8.
History of Newton, with Genealogies, by Francis Jackson.
Soldiers in King Philip's War, b. George M. Bodge, p. 375-6.
History of Plymouth Plantation, by Gov. Wm. Bradford.
In the Footsteps of the Lincolns, by Ida M. Tarbell.
Ancient Landmarks of Plymouth, by Davis.
-----------
LEWIS JONES
Lewis Jones, and his wife Ann, the first of Jones ancestors who came to America, are positively known to have been in Roxbury, Mass., now a part of the city of Boston, in 1640. How long before this date they actually arrived in America, it is now impossible certainly to ascertain.
But in 1640 Lewis Jones and Ann Jones, his wife, were members in good standing of the church of John Eliot, the famous Indian apostle and Bible translator. The list of the members of his church made out in 1640 by Eliot himself, in his own handwriting, is still in existence and contains their names.
They may have joined the church that year.
Thwing, in his "History of the First Church in Roxbury," says that Lewis Jones was "An original donor of the Free Schoole." About 1640 a subcription paper was circulated for the purpose of raising funds for the support of a free school. The name of Lewis Jones was on it, pledging himself to pay the sum of 4 shillings annually toward the salary of a school-master.
This, together with the fact that they were members of the first church, would seem to indicate that they were settled residents of Roxbury in 1640. Every year after 1640 their movements are accounted for; before that there is much uncertainty. The theory has been advanced that Lewis Jones came over with his pastor, John Eliot, in 1635, but there is no tangible proof that this was so.
It is of interest, and should be stated, that in a "List of Emigrants to America" from 1600 to 1700, prepared by James Camden Hotten, an eminent genealogist, there appears on page 135 the name of Lewis Jones.
----
The age of this Lewis Jones was given as 20 years, and he embarked at London on October 13, 1635, on the ship "Amitie" bound for St. Christopher, in the West Indies. Many immigrants took this route to America at that time.
There is a bare possibility that this was the same Lewis Jones that was in Roxbury in 1640.
It should also be stated that the Memorial History of Hartford County,Connecticut by Judge Sherman W. Adams, mentions on page 435, in a sketch of the town of Wethersfield, that "In 1635 there was a considerable accession to the new settlement. Those whose names are given below also came from Watertown, a part arriving in 1635 and others in the year following." On the list of names of persons coming from Watertown and vicinity was that of Lewis Jones. Watertown and Roxbury are not more than five miles apart. It is possible that this was our Lewis Jones, that he arrived in Watertown late in 1635, that he shortly afterward went to the new settlement at Wethersfield, that he returned to the vicinity from which he came and settled in Roxbury before 1640.

When we reflect that this was only 15 years after the landing of the pilgrims at Plymouth, and that the population of the settlements was still very scanty, it is easy to think it unlikely that there were two men named Lewis Jones in the same neighborhood. We give these facts for what they are worth. We have learned the danger of taking anything for granted, especially after a lapse of nearly 300 years of time.

After living at Roxbury for ten or twelve years, Lewis and Ann moved to Watertown, a settlement a short distance West from Boston. They established themselves here in 1650. They had a small farm of ten acres, and Lewis had various business transactions

Page 12

some of which are matters of public record. Doctor Bond fixes the place of the home of Lewis Jones as the North West corner of Belmont and Grove streets, in what is now the town of Belmont. This is a little less than two miles directly West from the Harvard University buildings, in Cambridge.

His wife's maiden name was Ann Stone. About her age and identity there has been considerable doubt and difficulty. Dr. Henry Bond, who was a very great authority on all that pertained to the history of Watertown, thought she was the sister of John Stone. In his will Lewis Jones appointed John Stone overseer, in these words, "Do ernestly desire my loving friend and Brother John Stone, to be overseer." This language no doubt misled Dr. Bond.

John Stone had a sister, Ann Stone, who was born in 1624, and Dr. Bond believed this was the Ann Stone who married Lewis Jones. But patient genealogical research has disclosed the fact that she probably married John Orne of Salem, Mass., as his second wife. (See N. E. Gen. Register, Vol. 53, p. 346.)

As to the date of the birth of Ann Jones, wife of Lewis, the inscription on her gravestone would seem conclusive. About 70 years ago all the inscriptions on the ancient grave stones in the old cemeteries of New England were carefully copied and published. Lewis and Ann Jones were both buried in the old graveyard at Watertown, within half a mile from where they lived. When the inscription on the head stone of Ann Jones was copied, it was then much weatherbeaten, and her age was given as either 72 or 78 years, the worn condition of the stone making it uncertain which reading was correct. The date of her death, May 1, 1680, was clear. This date is also corroborated by town records. This inscription would make the year of her birth as either 1602 or 1608, with 1602 as the more probable. So she could not have been the Ann Stone, sister of John Stone, who was born in 1624.
-----
The tradition is that she and Lewis were married in England, and that their first child, Lydia, was born there. We do not have the date of the marriage, or of the birth of Lydia.
Although Lewis and Ann Jones embarked from England, there has been a persistent tradition in the family for 250 years that they were of Welsh origin.
The surname is of Welsh origin, and it was often, after the Welsh manner, spelled "Jons" in the early records. The reddish or sandy hair and the clear complexion of many of his descendants would also seem to indicate Welsh origin........
Lewis Jones died in Watertown, April 11,1684.
As before stated, his wife, Ann, had preceded him on May 1,1680.
His will was dated January 7,1678, and a codicil was added April 18,1682.
In the will he mentions his wife, Ann, his daughter, Lydia Whitney, and his sons Josiah and Shubael. The executor of his will was his son Josiah Jones; the overseer his friend and brother, John Stone.
It was proved, or recorded June 14, 1684.
The inventory of his estate, which was appraised, April 20, 1684, amounted to 66 pounds and 2 shillings.......
The above rather scanty data regarding Lewis Jones is reliable, as far as it goes.
It is now perhaps impossible to ascertain many further facts about him. We do not know the exact date of his birth, but it was probably 1600 or 1602. We do not know the date of his marriage. We do not know the exact year of his arrival in America, but the old church records in Roxbury show that he was a settled resident in 1640. The author believes that he arrived late in the year 1635, but the evidence that he did so is not absolutely conclusive.
------
Lewis and Ann Jones had children as follows:
I LYDIA JONES, born in England, probably, date of birth unknown, but possibly about 1635.
She married Oct. 30, 1656, Jonathan Whitneywas born in England in 1634 and came over with his parents in 1635 was the son of John & Elinor Whitney.
We do not have the date of Lydia Jones Whitney's death.
He died in or about 1702, at Sherburne, Massachusetts.

II JOSIAH JONES was born in 1643, and was the first son of Lewis and Ann Jones.
He was made a freeman, or voter, April 18, 1690. He was a Captain of the Militia, and served in the war against King Philip (Gen. Reg. 41: 274). He moved out to Weston, a few miles West from Watertown, and was one of the original members of the church built there, and was one of the first deacons of the church, being elected January 4,1690......
About 1690 the three portions of Watertown, to wit, Watertown, Waltham and Weston, were designated as the precincts of Captain Bond's company, Captain Garfield's company, and Lieutenant Jones' company. He was selectman in 1685-6-7-90-1702 and 1709.
----
February 20, 1665, the records show that he purchased a farm of 124 acres from John Stone and wife, of Watertown. This was located on the north side of the Sudbury highway, about two miles from Sudbury, and was the same land which Stone purchased from Richard Brown, May 10, 1657.
----
April 21, 1684, Josiah Jones sold to John Bright, for 60 pounds, his 1/4 interest of the mills on Stoney Brook, purchased from Nathaniel Treadway, Feb. 19,1678
(Middlesex Deeds, IX:336).
-------
There are other real estate transactions in which Josiah Jones figured.
October 2, 1667, he married Lydia Treadway. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Treadway, and Suferana How. Sufferana How was the daughter of Elder How, one of the largest property holders of Watertown, made freeman in 1632, a ruling elder, selectman and representative. Nathaniel Treadway, father of Lydia Treadway Jones, settled first in Sudbury, where he was selectman for several years. He died in Watertown, July 20, 1689.
His wife, Sufferana Treadway, died July 22,1682.
-----
Josiah Jones died Oct. 9,1714.
His wife, Lydia, died April 18,1743, aged 94 years.
The name "Nathaniel" came into the family with Lydia Treadway......
III PHOEBE JONES, born Jan. 21,1646, baptised February 1,1646.
She died July 6,1650 from the effects of a scald.
-----
IV SHUBAEL Or SUBALL JONES, was born July 1,1651.
This child was evidently insane or deficient. John and Simeon Stone were appointed guardians for him October 7, 1684, a few months after the death of his father, who made this request, and special provision for him in his will. There are records of payments being made to men who brought him home from places some distance away, to which places he had apparently wandered.
The foregoing four children of Lewis Jones constitute the second generation of the Jones family in America. All the evidence goes to show that they were very serious-minded and religious people, with whom life was a strenuous business.
They were a part of that great Puritan migration that continued in unabated volume until political conditions in England became more favorable to the Puritan party, under
the leadership of Cromwell, about 1640 to 1642. Lewis Jones, Sprague, Bartlett, Warren, Lane, Marsh, Mannings, How, and Treadway, and all the other New England ancestors were of the same general type. They were homogeneous in social conditions, as they were in blood. They were thrifty and prosperous in their old homes, were eminently respectable middle class people, whose devotion to an idea made them voluntary exiles.
They attached so much importance to regular industry and decorous behavior, that thriftless, needy and idle people were not tolerated at all. The dissolute and vicious generally to be found in new communities were not in early New England. Violence and disorder were unknown. The entire population of New England in 1640 was under 26,000. But they were a selected lot of settlers, representing the very best of old England. ......
When Lewis Jones settled in Watertown in 1650 that place was on the frontier were exposed to Indian raids and forays, and was not safe from them for at least 30 years later.
The movement to Weston, then to Worcester, then to Lanesboro, then to Whitehall, and lastly to Crawford County,Pennsylvania in 1816, seemed to follow the receding tide of savagery.
For two hundred years our branch of the family were in a measure on the frontier, and doing the work of frontiersmen and pioneers.
--------
Will of Lewis Jones
Lewis Jones died April 11,1684
will made Jan. 7, 1678.
-----
In the name of God Amen, I, Lewis Jones, in Watertown, in New England, being at p'sent of p'fect understanding and memory, though weak of body, committing my soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body to decent buryall, in hope of a Ressurrection into eternal life, through the Merrits and power of Jesus Christ my most gracious Savior and Redeemer; do thus dispose of that estate which God has graciously given unto me--; Considering the weak and helpless condition of my dear wife, Ann Jones, and of my son, Suball Jones, my will and pleasure is, that the whole of my estate (after the discharge of my debts and my buriall) be improved for their supply, the benefits of it, and also the principal, if they stand in need thereof. And my further will and pleasure is y't when the Lord shall please to remove either of them by death, that then that which remaineth shall be wholly to the use of the other so long as either of them shall live; & if the Lord shall so dispose that anything remaineth after their death, that when what remaineth be divided, two parts to my daughter, Lydia Whitney, if she be then living, & one part to my son Josiah; but if Lydia be dead, that w't remaineth be divided equally to my son Josiah, if living, or such of his children as shall be living, and the children of my daughter Lydiah that shall then be living, & of this my last will, I do constitute my son Josiah my sole executor and do earnestly desire my loving friend and Brother John Stone to be overseer, to assist my son in the managing of ye estate so as may be best for the comfort of my poor wife and child aforesd, and in confirmation hereof I have hereunto set my Marke and seale.
------
The Marke -??- & seal of
Lewis Jones.
This 7th day of ye 11th, 1678
----
A Codicil annexed to ye above sd will, 19, 2, 1682 (after death of the wife of the testator):
----
As a further addition to my last Will and Testament, I do nominate and appoynt my assured friends, Simon Stone & John Stone of Watertown, to be guardians unto my son Suball Jones, to whose prudence and wisdom I do commit & send the governm't of my sd son, and the disposal of all that estate as well real and p'sonal to my sd son bequeathed: & I do hereby authorize and empower sd Guardians, or the longest liver of them, to make sale of any part of my house and lands as there shall appear to them needful for the belief of my sd son Shuball Jones
----
his mark
x
Lewis Y Jones
x
The above will was proved June 17,1684.
Jonath. Remington, Clericus.
-----
INSCRIPTION ON THE GRAVE STONE OF ANN JONES
------
Here Lyeth the Body of Ann JONES, Aged 78 years.
Dyed The 1 of May, 1680.
Upon ye Death of yt;
Pious Matron.
She Lived a Pious Holy Godly Life
Being Now Escaped Free From Hate & Strife.

AN INVENTORY OF THE ESTATE OF LEWIS JONES,
LATELY DECEASED, OF GOODS & CHATTELS
TAKEN BY US, WHOSE NAMES ARE UNDER-WRITTEN,
THIS 20TH OF APRIL, 1684.
L s. d.
The housing & land 35.00 00 00
A cow & a heifer 4.00 05. 00
Wearing cloathes 1.00 10. 00
In ye lodging Room one feather bed, two pillows, one bolster, one rug, three old blanketts, three sheets, curtains & bedstead 5.00 00 00
One small flock bed, one coverlett, one bolster, two pillows, two sheets, one old straw bed, two blanketts & a trundle bedstead 2.00 04 00
One chest, one tablecloathe, one napkin, with some other old linin, one small box, one forme 00 12 00
2 I Lydia Jones, b. in England, date not known.
3 II Josiah Jones, b. in 1643 (1640 in Sou. Hist. Assn.).
III Phoebe Jones, b. Jan. 21, 1646, d. July 6, 1650.
IV Shubael Jones, b. July 1, 1651
LYDIA JONES2 (Lewis1), born in England, came to America with her parents as a child.
She married Jonathan Whitney, Oct. 30, 1656, died about 1702 at Sherburne, Mass.
Date of her death not known.
CHILDREN
I Lydia Whitney, b. July 3, 1657; m. Apr. 15, 1681, to Moses Adams. She had 9 children, d. in 1719.
II Jonathan Whitney, b. Oct. 20, 1658. He m. Sarah Habgood, and had 12 children
(Gen. Reg. 11: 120).
III Anna Whitney, b. Apr. 28, 1660; m. Cornelius Fisher, of Wrentham, Mass.
IV John Whitney, b. June 27, 1662; m. 1st, Apr. 10,1688, to Mary Habgood; 2nd, to Sarah Havens;
3rd to Martha Walker. Had 5 children.
V Josiah Whitney, b. May 19, 1664. Lived at Wrentham. Had 3 children.
VI Elenor Whitney, b. Oct. 12, 1666; d. in 1678.
VII James Whitney, b. Nov. 25, 1668; d. Nov. 30, 1690.
VIII Isaac Whitney, b. Jan. 12, 1670-1; d. Dec. 2, 1690.
IX Joseph Whitney, b. Mar. 10, 1672-3; m. Rebecca Burge and had 5 children.
X Abigail Whitney, b. Aug. 18, 1675. No further record.
XI Benjamin Whitney, b. Jan. 6, 1678-9; d. in 1718. No children.
------
JOSIAH JONES2 (Lewis1), son of Lewis Jones, great great grandfather of Joel Jones, was born 1643; married Oct. 2, 1667, to Lydia Treadway. He died Oct. 9, 1714. She died Sept. 18, 1743, aged 95 years. He served in the war against King Philip, and was afterwards made captain of the militia at Watertown (Gen. Reg. 41: 274).
CHILDREN
I Lydia Jones, b. Aug. 25, 1668.
II Josiah Jones, Jr., b. Oct. 20, 1670, at Weston.
III Mary Jones, b. Dec. 10, 1672; m. July 5, 1693, to John Brewer of Sudbury.
IV NATHANIEL JONES, great grandfather of Joel Jones, b. Dec. 31, 1674.
V Samuel Jones, b. July 9, 1677.
VI James Jones, b. Sept. 4, 1679.
VII Sarah Jones, b. Feb. 6, 1681; m. May 20, 1704, to John Warren.
VIII Anna Jones, b. June 28, 1684.
IX John Jones, b. Mar. 19, 1686-7.
X Isaac Jones, b. May 25, 1690.
Bought a farm in Bolton, Conn., and had 17 children come to mature age.
------
LYDIA JONES3 (Josiah2, Lewis1), born Aug. 25, 1668; married Jan. 2,1687, to Nathaniel Coolidge.
He was born May 9, 1660, and died in Weston, Mass.,Jan. 29,1732-3. She died May 21,1718.
CHILDREN
I Samuel Coolidge, b. Sept. 30, 1688.
II Lydia Coolidge, bap. 1690.
III Josiah Coolidge m. June 17, 1719.......................
IV Mary Coolidge, b. Jan. 6, 1695; m. Apr. 21, 1732, to Deacon Samuel Johnson, of Lunenburg.
V Abigail Coolidge, bap. Sept. 22, 1700; m. Feb. 19,1730, to William Spring.
VI Thankful Coolidge admitted to the church July 12, 1719; m. Aug. 5, 1730, to Josiah Parks.
------
NATHANIEL COOLIDGE, husband of Lydia Jones, was a descendant of John Coolidge, one of the appraisers of the estate of Lewis Jones, and the first of the name in America, through the following line: 1st, John Coolidge, born in England, came to America about 1630, freeman in 1636, d. about 1691; 2nd, Nathaniel Coolidge, Sr., b. about 1636, m. Oct. 15, 1757, to Mary Bright, d. in 1691; 3rd, Nathaniel Coolidge, Jr., b. May 9, 1660, m. Jan. 2, 1687, to Lydia Jones, d. Jan. 29, 1732-3.
----
Hon. Calvin Coolidge, President of the United States, is also a direct descendant of John Coolidge, above, but through the following line: 1st, John Coolidge; 2nd, Simon Coolidge, b. 1632, d. 1693; 3rd, Obadiah Coolidge, b. 1664, m. Feb. 28, 1686-7, d. 1706; 4th, Obadiah Coolidge, Jr., b. 1694; 5th, Josiah Coolidge, b. July 17, 1718, d. 1780; 6th, Capt. John Coolidge, b. 1756, d. 1822; 7th, Calvin Coolidge, b. 1780, d. 1856; 8th, Calvin Galusha Coolidge, b. 1815, d. 1878; 9th, John C. Coolidge, b. 1845; 10th Calvin Coolidge, b. 1872.
-------
JOSIAH JONES, JR.3 (Josiah2, Lewis1), born Oct. 20, 1670; married to Abigail Barnes, about 1692. He was elected Deacon, Feb. 13, 1713-4, to succeed his father, but refused to accept the office. Was a representative from Weston in 1716, 1721, 1725 and 1726. Was a captain of militia. He died Dec. 21, 1734. She died Nov. 4, 1749, at Stockbridge, Mass. He built a home on the west part of his father's land and lived there.
CHILDREN
12 I Daniel Jones, b. Feb. 2, 1692-3.
13 II Abigail Jones, b. Sept. 14, 1694.
14 III Josiah Jones, 3rd, b. May 24, 1701.
15 IV William Jones, b. Jan. 4, 1706-7.
16 V Elisha Jones, b. Nov. 20, 1710.
------
NATHANIEL JONES, SR.3 (Josiah2, Lewis1), great grandfather of Joel Jones, born Dec. 31, 1674, at Watertown. He was married twice. First to Mary (???). She died Nov. 21, 1724, in childbirth. It is said he had 6 children born in Weston, Mass., then moved to Worcester, where he had 5 more children, all by the first wife. He married, 2nd, Mary Flagg of Worcester; date of intention, or license, Sept. 18, 1735. He had 3 children by the second wife. Nathaniel Jones, Sr., was a large buyer and seller of farm lands and real estate, perhaps the largest dealer of his day in Worcester Connty.
The public records contain very many deeds to and from him. All evidence goes to show that he was a very active business man. He was selectman in 1722 and 1723.
Was a captain in the militia, and representative in the legislature in 1727.
Before the birth of his youngest son, Jabez, he moved to Falmouth (now Portland), Maine where he died in November, 1745. See History of Worcester and Its People, by Nutt
(Vol. I, page 162).
----
CHILDREN
I Phinchas Jones, b. Feb. 28, 1704-5 was b. at Weston; m. at Portland, Me., and d. there
Nov. 3, 1743. He had 3 daughters.
II NATHANIEL JONES, JR., grandfather of Joel Jones, b. at Leicester, Mass., Apr. 5, 1707.
III Stephen Jones, b. Aug. 17, 1709; bap. Jan. 1, 1710.
IV Noah Jones, b. Nov. 26, 1711; bap. Dec. 2, 1711was a Lieutenant of detachment from
Col. John Chandler's Regiment on the relief expedition to Fort William Henry in 1757.
He m. Miss Howard of Worcester, and left several sons and several daughters.
V Jonas Jones, b. April 22, 1715, at Weston.
VI Ichabod Jones, bap. May 26, 1717, 3 days old, when bap.; m. a Miss Coffin of Newbury.
Settled in Boston and was a shipmaster. Left 1 son, John Coffin Jones, who grad. at Harvard
College in 1768, and who was a merchant, dying in 1829.
VII Mary Jones, b. Aug. 10, 1719.
VIII Sarah Jones, b. (???).
IX Isaac Jones, b. Oct. 14, 1722; m. a lady from Nantucket, and had 1 daughter.
Was connected with a noted John Webb, got into trouble and went to the West Indies where he died.
X Eunice Jones, b. Nov. 21, 1724.
XI Lusire or Desire, Jones, b. Nov. 21,1724, twin of Eunice.Mary Jones,the mother died Nov.21,1724.
XII Moses Jones m. and had 1 daughter and d. young.
XIII Lydia Jones.
XIV Jabez Jones inherited his father's place and lived to over 85 years of age.
He had three wives and several sons and daughters.
--------
SAMUEL JONES3 (Josiah2, Lewis1), born July 9, 1677, married May 19, 1706, to Mary Woolson.
He died Jan. 17, 1717-18. She was born Nov. 28, 1673, and survived Samuel, and married 2nd,Oct. 1, 1724, Francis Fulham of Weston.
The dates and information here given are from Dr. Bond.
CHILDREN
20 I Samuel Jones, b. May 13, 1706.
21 II Moses Jones, b. June 20, 1709.
III Mary Jones, b. May 7, 1716.
-------
JAMES JONES3 (Josiah2, Lewis1), born Sept. 4, 1679, married Sarah Moore of Sudbury.
He died Sept. 14, 1770, aged 91 years. She died Sept. 28,1774, aged 90 years.
CHILDREN
I James Jones, Jr., b. (???); m. Dec. 26, 1728, Abigail Garfield.
They did not harmonize, and about 1748 he, with his son James, went to Carolina, whence they never returned.
II Sarah Jones, b. Oct. 15, 1708; m. Feb., 1733-4, to William Robinson, of Newton, Mass.
III Lydia Jones, b. Dec. 17, 1710; m. July 31, 1731, to Captain Stephen Jones, her cousin, a son of
Nathaniel Jones. Moved to Falmouth, Me., and had 2 sons and 2 daughters.
IV Ephraim Jones, b. Dec. 11, 1712. Removed to Falmouth, Me.
V Elizabeth Jones, b. Mar. 25, 1715; m. Mar. 23,1741-2, Captain Samuel Baldwin, of Sudbury.
VI Mary Jones, b. Mar. 16, 1718; m. Feb. 24, 1736-7 to Elisha Flagg.
VII Abigail Jones, b. Mar. 14,1718; m. Aug. 11, 1743 to David Sanderson.
He was a deacon of Faversham when he died. Had 2 sons, David and Ebenezer.
VIII Catharine Jones, b. Apr. 23, 1721; m. May 24,1743, to Rev. Joseph Davis of Holden.
IX Aaron Jones, b. June 10, 1723.
X Solomon Jones, b. Jan. 30, 1726; d. Aug. 11, 1741.
XI Isaac Jones, b. Sept. 29, 1728.
DANIEL JONES4 (Josiah, Jr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), son of Josiah Jones, Jr., was born Feb. 2, 1692. He settled at Colchester, Conn. Married Oct. 13, 1720, Mary Worthington, daughter of William Worthington, of Colchester. He died June 18, 1740.

CHILDREN
I Mary Jones, b. May 26, 1724; d. in 1729.
II AMASA JONES, b. Oct. 2, 1726.
III Mary Jones, b. June 13, 1729; d. unm.
IV Abigail Jones, b. May 1, 1732.
V Ann Jones, bap. Oct. 5, 1735; m. Apr. 20, 1758,
Nun Clark of Lyme, Conn.
VI Elizabeth Jones, bap. Sept. 24, 1738; m. Oct. 25,
1757, to Nathaniel Clark of Colchester.

AMASA JONES, above, settled on his father's homestead at Colchester; m. July 12, 1749, Elizabeth Chamberlain daughter of William Chamberlain of Colchester. He had 2 children by her. She died and he married again, having 10 children by the second wife. He was a merchant, was a colonel, lived in Hartford the latter part of his life, and died there Feb. 24, 1785.
It is interesting to note that some members of this branch of the Jones family went South and became prominent in the Carolinas and in Georgia.......
Samuel Phillips Jones, 5th child of Amasa, b. Sept. 23,1759, removed to Charleston,SC., about 1784, and later went to Orangeburg, S. C., and there m. Jane Bruce, Nov. 13, 1786.
He was a prominent citizen, a merchant, held various offices and was highly respected.
He d. Feb. 5,1836 and was buried in Old Episcopal Church yard,Broughton Street,Orangeburg,SC.
He had 8 children.
The third child of Samuel Phillips Jones, above, was DONALD BRUCE JONES, b. May 1, 1792.
He m. in Orangeburg, Mary Elvira Rumph, daughter of Brigadier General Jacob Rumph, a famous Revolutionary officer. Donald Bruce Jones was a representative in the legislature of S. C. in 1826, 1830 and 1832. He removed to Georgia in 1837, and d. in Dooley County, that state, Sept. 18, 1853. Several of his sons attained prominence. He had 10 children.

The first child of Donald Bruce Jones, above, was Samuel Phillips Jones, b. Apr. 27, 1818; m. Aug. 10, 1843, Caroline Elizabeth Nixson, who d. Aug. 25, 1847.
He m. 2nd, Sept. 5, 1849, his first cousin, Hope Lord Pearson.
He had 3 children by his first wife, and 7 by his second wife. He d. May 15, 1869.

The fourth child of Donald Bruce Jones, above, was David Rumph Jones, b. Apr. 5, 1824.
He was a cadet at West Point and graduated July 1,1842.
Was a classmate of Stonewall Jackson, A. P. Hill, G. B. McClellan, Foster, Reno, Stoneman and Gibbon. He resigned from the U. S. Army Feb. 15, 1861, to join the Confederates. Was an active and distinguished Confederate soldier, taking part in the battles of Manassas, Seven Pines, Seven Days' Fight, Yorktown, Malvern Hill, Sharpsburg and others.
He m. Rebecca Taylor, a niece of President Zachary Taylor.
He left the field an ill man just after Sharpsburg, and d. in Richmond Jan. 15,1863.
Was buried in Hollywood.......
Jacob Christian Jones, fifth child of Donald Bruce Jones, left descendants in the Orangeburg, SC. district.
George Salley Jones, sixth child of David Bruce Jones, b. Dec. 22, 1828; m. Martha Ruth Carr, daughter of Judge B. F. Carr of Macon, Ga. He d. at Macon Mar. 30, 1888, leaving numerous descendants.
Donald Bruce Jones, Jr., eighth child of Donald Bruce Jones, b. Dec. 6, 1833; m. June 6, 1860, Elizabeth Jane Shields. Lived at Macon, Ga. Died Oct. 15, 1892. Had 9 children and left numerous descendants.
John William Jones, tenth child of Donald Bruce Jones, b. June 9, 1838; m. Laura Cowart, at Knoxville, Ga. He had 8 children.
-----
SAMUEL PRESTON JONES9 (Samuel Phillips8, Donald Bruce7, Samuel Phillips6, Amasa5, Daniel4, Josiah3, Josiah2, Lewis1), b. Sept. 24, 1857; m. Mar. 31, 1884, to Bertha Kitching. Lives at Decatur, Ga. He had 3 children.
George Salley Jones, b. Sept. 12, 1871; m. Nov. 11, 1890, Berta Hardman, daughter of Hon. Isaac Hardman, at Macon, Ga. They have 5 children.
From the foregoing it will be seen that great numbers of the descendants of Lewis Jones live in the South, where many of them are respected and prominent people.
---------
ABIGAIL JONES4 (Josiah, Jr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), daughter of Josiah Jones, Jr., born Sept. 14,1694. She married May 21, 1719,Col. Ephraim Williams. She died Dec. 4, 1784, aged 90 years.
Col. Williams was a son of Capt. Isaac Williams.
Abigail Williams was his second wife. She reared her young step son, Ephraim Williams, Jr., in the way he should go. He afterward became famous as the founder of Williams College.
CHILDREN
I Abigail Williams, b. Apr. 20, 1721; m. Aug. 16,1739, to Rev. John Sergeant, a missionary to
the Stockbridge Indians. Had 3 children by him. He d. and she m. 2nd, Gen. Joseph Dwight, by whom she had 2 children.
II Josiah Williams was an officer in the French and Indian war, and was wounded in 1756. He m. a Miss Sergeant of N. J.
III Judith Williams m. Rev. Enoch Thayer of Ware, Mass., and had 2 children.
IV Elizabeth Williams, b. Nov. 28,1730; m. Rev. Stephen West of Stockbridge she d. Sept. 5, 1804.
V Elijah Williams, b. Nov. 15, 1732; d. June 9,1815. Was a Colonel and High Sheriff.
-----
JOSIAH JONES, 3RD4 (Josiah, Jr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born May 24, 1701; married Dec. 24,1724, to Anna Brown. He died Mar. 22, 1769.
We had believed that this Josiah Jones was a member of the famous expedition under Captain John Lovewell against the Pigwackett Indians, which ended in one of the most desperate and heroic battles ever fought in all Indian warfare, and which is described by Parkman in his "Half Century of Conflict," Vol. I, p. 250.
----
But extensive investigation discloses that there was another Josiah Jones, about the same age, and living in the same neighborhood. The parents of this second Josiah were Nathaniel Jones and Mary Reddit. The coincidence in all these names is certainly remarkable. This Josiah was born Jan. 19, 1701; married Elizabeth, and had Grace, born July 18, 1734, Jonathan, born Mar. 24, 1736, and Lucy, born Oct. 20, 1740. He himself received a pension and died June 4,1741.
For a long time we assumed that our Josiah was the hero.
The experience shows how exceedingly unsafe it is to take anything for granted in genealogical research.
I Josiah Jones, 4th, b. Oct. 4, 1725; m. Nov. 9, 1757 to Mable Stockbridge. Had 9 children and
many descendants, some of whom were distinguished.
Bond, 318-20.
II Micah Jones, b. Oct. 4, 1728.
III Anna Jones, b. Feb. 4, 1730-1; m. Oliver Warren.
IV Keziah Jones, b. Apr. 6, 1733; m. Kellogg.
V Elijah Jones, b. Jan. 23, 1735; d. soon.
VI Abigail Jones, b. Nov. 17, 1738; m. May 31, 1770, Josiah Warren.
VII Elijah Jones, b. 1742, in Stockbridge.
-----
WILLIAM JONES4 (Josiah, Jr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Jan. 4, 1706-7; married Dec. 25, 1733, Sarah Locke. He was a very distinguished surveyor. Resided at Lunenburg, Mass., and built a castle as a defense against the Indians, on what is now called Jones Hill. He went to Nova Scotia to lay out some townships, and on the return voyage the vessel was wrecked and he perished, Jan. 26, 1761.
CHILDREN
I Sarah Jones, b. Nov. 25, 1735; m. June 17, 1760,Joseph Foster, and moved to Sullivan, N. H.
II William Jones, b. May 11, 1737; m. Feb. 15, 1763, to Sarah Stone. Lived at Lunenburg, and had
6 children. He d. May 23, 1809.
III Abigail Jones, b. Apr. 18, 1740; m. John Fosget of Westminster. Had 4 children.
IV Enos Jones, b. July 4, 1742.
V Hannah Jones, b. July 4, 1742, twin of above; m. Benjamin Barrett. She d. Dec. 8, 1831.
VI Josiah Jones, b. Oct. 23, 1744; m. Susannah Bennett in 1786. Settled in Ashby, Mass.
VII Isaac Jones, b. July 15, 1747; d. at 20 years of age.
VIII Silence Jones, b. Aug. 1, 1753; m. Apr. 3, 1775,
to Thaddeus Smith. Settled in Ashby, and
afterwards moved to Troy, N. H.
-----
ELISHA JONES4 (Josiah, Jr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), of Weston, born Nov. 20, 1710; married Jan. 24, 1733-4, and died about the 10th of February, 1775. He was for many years a Magistrate, Colonel of a Regiment of Militia, and member of the General Assembly of Mass. He was a strong and upstanding man, uncompromising in his principles. In the quarrel with Great Britain he was a staunch loyalist, and a tory. Several of his sons and descendants imbibed his principles. He was superceded in-the legislature, Sept. 29, 1774, by Capt. Brad Smith, because of his loyalist convictions.
His death shortly followed.
Member of the legislature in 1752, 1753-4-6-7-8, 1760-1-2-3-4, 1773-4-5.
----
CHILDREN
I Nathan Jones, b. Sept. 29, 1734; m. Oct. 13, 1756 to Mary Seaverns. Had 12 children.
Moved to Goldsboro, Me and carried on a lumber business.
II A Son, d. in infancy.
III Elisha Jones, b. Jan. 9, 1736-7; m. Oct. 22, 1761 to Mehitable Upham.
He was a Tory and went to Weymouth, Nova Scotia, at the close of the Revolution.
Settled at Sissibo and had 7 children. Sabine states that he died in the US. in 1784.
IV Israel Jones, b. Sept. 21, 1738; m. Althea Todd, Settled at Adams, Mass., and had 9 children.
Bond, 316.
V Daniel Jones, b. July 25, 1740. Graduated at Harvard in 1759; d. in 1786.
Was a lawyer and Judge of Common Pleas court at Hinsdale, N. H. had 4 children
VI Elias Jones, b. Aug. 19, 1742; m. Dec. 22, 1768,to Elizabeth Baldwin. He d. 1823.
Had 8 children. Bond, 317.
VII Josiah Jones, b. Nov. 9, 1744. Was a physician in his younger days.
Joined the British Army at Boston soon after the battle of Lexington in 1775.
He was sent by General Gage in the Sloop, Polly to Nova Scotia to procure hay and other supplies for the use of the British troops.
On the passage he was made a prisoner and sent by the Committee of Arundel,Me., to the Continental Congress, and after due investigation of his case by a committee of that body, he was committed to jail at Concord.
Obtaining release after some months' imprisonment he again joined the Royal forces and received an
appointment in the commissary department.
In 1782 he went to Annapolis,Nova Scotia,where he settled.
He made a voyage to England to obtain half pay, and was successful.
He was senior judge of the Court of Common Pleas for the county of Annapolis for many years.
His property in Massachusetts was confiscated.
He m. a French lady, Margaret Jude and died in 1825, aged 80.
His widow d. in 1828, aged 84. Four children survived him.
VIII Silas Jones, b. Nov. 7, 1746; d. young.
IX Mary Jones, b. July 11, 1748; m. Rev. Asa Dunbar. Had 4 children.
X Ephraim Jones, b. Apr. 17, 1750. Settled at Oswegatchie. Was a magistrate, and m. a French woman from Montreal. Had 8 children. Bond, 317.
XI Simeon or Simon Jones, b. Dec. 5, 1751; d. Aug.14,1823; m. Sally Williams of Roxbury.
Was a Lieutenant in the King's American Dragoons. Went to St. Johns,New Brunswick at the close
of the Revolution, and received grant of a city lot. Was a half-pay British officer.
Removed to Nova Scotia, and d. at Weymouth.
Had 2 sons and 6 danghters.
XII Stephen Jones, b. Mar. 5,1754.
Graduated at Harvard in 1775. Accepted a commission under the Crown, and was an officer in the King's American Dragoons. He settled in Nova Scotia at the close of the war, and at his death was the
oldest magistrate of the County of Annapolis. He d. at Weymouth, N. S., in 1830, aged 76 years.
He m. Sarah Goldsbury, who lived to be more than 90 years of age, surviving him more than 30 years. His son, Guy Carleton Jones, held public office at Digby, N. S. His grandson, Alfred Gilpin Jones, was a member of Parliament and holder of many offices in Canada.
XIII Jonas Jones,b. Aug. 18,1756; m. a Miss Mason an heiress, lived in London, where both died.
He was a Lieutenant in a British Regiment.
XIV Philemon Jones.
XV Charles Jones, entered Harvard during the Revolution and d. unm.
-----
NATHANIEL JONES, JR.4 (Nathaniel, Sr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Aug. 17, 1707 (April 5, by Bond). He was grandfather of Joel Jones. Was married four times. First, Nov. 2, 1731, to Hannah King at Sutton, Mass. She was the daughter of Ebenezer King and Hannah Manning of Billerica, married Dec. 17, 1699. Ebenezer King was probably the grandson of Thomas King, who embarked for America at Ipswich, England, in April 1634 at the age of 15 years.
Married second, Apr. 4, 1747, to Mrs. Mary Wakefield, at Dudley, Mass. We do not have any further particulars regarding this marriage. Married third, Feb. 27, 1755, to Mary Howe, of Brookfield, Mass. Married fourth, June 22, 1758 (intention filed Apr. 10), to Eleanor Woodward.
She was born Jan. 20, 1720, and was the sister of Rev. Samuel Woodward of Weston.
She was the daughter of Ebenezer Woodward and Mindwell Stone.
Ebenezer Woodward was the son of John and Rebecca Woodward and was born at Newton. Mindwell Stone was the daughter of Ebenezer and Mindwell Stone.
Eleanor's parents were married Jan. 26, 1716.
-----
Nathaniel Jones lived at Sutton, Leicester and Charlton.
Was living at Leicester in 1742, and removed to Charlton about 1756, as he was assessed as living on the Gore lands in that town in that year.
His will made in 1781 mentions as then living the following of his children--Enos, Asa, Phinehas, Eli, Mary Streeter, Hannah and Eleanor. He was a farmer and a member of the Baptist Church.
He died at Charlton in 1795. His will as recorded was evidently the work of a very old, feeble and mentally decrepit man, and was very properly declared null and void by the probate court.
------
CHILDREN
I A Son, name and date not ascertained.
II ENOS JONES, father of Joel Jones, b. Aug. 31,1734.
III Daniel Jones, b. Dec. 27, 1736. Dr. Bond states that this son was killed in an attack on the
French lines at Ticonderoga in 1758.
IV Asa Jones, b. Mar. 20, 1739, at Sutton; m. Darkis Wade of Gloucester, Nov. 6, 1763, and with son Isaac settled at Royalston, where he was deacon in the Baptist church.
V Mary Jones, b. Aug. 11, 1742 (Lei. V. R.) m. Feb. 28, 1761, Daniel Streeter (Char. V. R.).
Streeter was b. Mar. 23, 1739, and d. Mar. 29,1814, aged 75 years.
They had one daughter,Hannah, b. Dec. 31, 1765
It was with this aunt that JOEL JONES lived from Oct. 15, 1770 to Feb. 26, 1780, from 6 to 16 years of age Gen. Reg. 36: 164).
-------
The foregoing five children were by the first wife.
VI Thomas Jones, b. Feb. 23, 1756. This son by second wife.
VII Eli Jones, b. June 5, 1759; m. Apr. 21, 1786, to Lydia Lamb, who d. in 1848.
Eli was by the 4th wife, as were the three following children.
VIII Hannah Jones, b. Sept. 26, 1760.
IX Phinchas Jones, b. Feb. 17, 1763 (1762 in V. R.).
X Eleanor Jones, b. Dec. 26, 1764 m. David Fiske, Nov. 13, 1783. The above four children
were all by the last wife. There may have been other children. Enos, Asa, Eli, Phinehas,Mary Streeter, Hannah, and Eleanor are mentioned in the will of Nathaniel Jones, written in 1781.
-------
STEPHEN JONES4 (Nathaniel, Sr.3, Josiah2, Lewis1), son of Nathaniel Jones,Sr., uncle of Enos Jones and great uncle of Joel Jones, was born Aug. 17, 1709. He married his cousin, Lydia Jones, daughter of James Jones, July 31,1735.
Stephen Jones settled in Falmouth, Me., near his brother, Phinehas, with whom he was associated in business...... He enlisted as Captain in Col. Noble's Regiment for an expedition against Quebec in 1746. But ships and troops from England did not arrive as expected, which defeated the project.
But Col. Noble was ordered to Minns, now Horton, Nova Scotia, to keep the neutral French who lived there in subjection. The French still had a fort on Cumberland Bay, more than 100 miles away. They sent a detachment to surprise and attack the English Forces, in dead of winter. After sustaining incredible hardships the French arrived in the night of Feb. 10, 1747, in the midst of a great snow storm. The violence of the storm prevented the English sentinel from observing the French until they were very near. He was shot down and the enemy burst into the house occupied by Col. Noble, and upon his refusal to surrender, killed him, and several other officers, including Capt. Stephen Jones, who was thrust through the heart with a bayonet.
A full account of the march of the French and Indians, and of the surprise and defeat of Col. Noble is given in Parkman's Half Century of Conflict, Vol. 2, page 185 et seq.
Stephen Jones left a widow and two sons and two daughters
-------
JONAS JONES4 (James3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Apr. 22, 1715; married Abigail Hartwell, Sept. 6, 1763. Settled in Shrewsbury, Conn.
CHILDREN
I Lucy Jones, b. Oct. 14, 1764.
II Jonas Jones, b. Nov. 29, 1765.
III Ephraim Jones, b. Nov. 29, 1765, twin of Jonas.
IV Richard Hall Jones, b. Oct. 1, 1767.
V Stephen Jones, b. Sept. 11, 1769; d. soon.
VI Hepzibah Jones, b. Dec. 22, 1770.
VII Stephen Jones, b. Nov. 26, 1775.
VIII Henry Jones, b. July 5, 1777.
IX Isaac Jones, b. Mar. 25, 1780.
SAMUEL JONES4 (Samuel3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born May 13, 1706; married Oct. 29, 1730, Tabitha Hobbs.
CHILDREN
I Francis Jones, b. Sept. 10, 1731; m. Mar. 6, 1755,
to Elizabeth Livermore. Had 4 children.
II Mary Jones, b. Feb., 1733; d. soon.
III Samuel Jones, b. Feb. 23, 1734.
IV Mary Jones, b. Nov. 9, 1735; d. in 1750.
V Jacob Jones, b. Sept. 4, 1737.
VI Tabitha Jones, b. Apr. 15, 1739.
-----
MOSES JONES (Samuel3,Josiah2,Lewis1)born June 20,1709 married July 20,1737 to Hannah Neemis.
CHILDREN
Moses Jones, Jr., b. 1737; m. May 5, 1786, Hepzibah Dilloway.
II Joseph Jones, b. Dec. 4, 1739.
III Solomon Jones, b. Apr. 30, 1742.
IV Mary Jones, b. Dec. 23, 1744.
V Hannah Jones, b. Dec. 23, 1747.
------
ELIZABETH JONES4 (James3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Mar. 25, 1715; married Mar. 23, 1742-3, to Captain Samuel Baldwin of Sudbury. She died July 7, 1757.
CHILDREN
I Samuel Baldwin, b. July 28, 1743; m. June 25,1762, to Millicent Cutler, and had Anna Baldwin,
b. Nov. 10, 1764.
II Elizabeth Baldwin, b. June 18, 1745; m. Dec. 22,1768, to Elias Jones of East Hoosack.
III Lydia Baldwin, b. Jan. 16, 17--; m. Oct. 6, 17......
IV Ephraim Baldwin, b. Apr. 2, 1749.
V Samuel Baldwin, b. Sept. 15, 1750; d. young.
VI Lucy Baldwin, b. June 30, 1753.
VII Esther Baldwin, b. June 27, 1756.
------
AARON JONES4 (James3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born June 20, 1723. Was a Captain. Moved to Templeton, Mass., where he died aged 90 years. During his latter years he was blind.
He married, 1st, Nov. 25, 1749, Silence Cutting died Dec. 3, 1763.
Married 2nd, Nov. 6, 1767, to Elizabeth Prescott of Concord. She died in childbirth.
CHILDREN
I Lydia Jones, b. Mar. 23, 1752; m. Apr. 4, 1771 to Jonathan Jones.
II Abigail Jones, b. Nov. 29, 1754.
III Solomon Jones, b. Aug. 17, 1757; d. soon.
IV Eunice Jones, b. Mar. 21, 1759; m. Apr. 6, 1782 to Benjamin Pierce.
V Aaron Jones, b. Aug. 29, 1761. Settled in Templeton.
VI Elizabeth Jones, b. Oct. 27, 1768; d. soon.
VII Prescott Jones, b. Apr. 20, 1770. Settled in Athol; m. in 1798 Jane Moore of Cambridge.
Athol V. R. gives dates of birth of 7 of their children.
-------
ISAAC JONES4 (James3, Josiah2, Lewis1), born Sept. 29, 1728, died in 1814, aged 86 years.
Married 1st, Sept. 20, 1753, Anna Cutler. Married 2nd, Jan. 20, 1762, widow Mary Willis of Medford.
He was a strong and noted Tory, during the Revolutionary war.
In Jan., 1775, the Whigs of Worcester County, in convention assembled, passed the following:
-----
"RESOLVED that it be earnestly recommended to all the inhabitants of this County, not to have any commercial connections with Isaac Jones, but to shun his house and person and treat him with the contempt he deserves: and should any persons in this County be so lost to a sense of their duty, after this recommendation, to have any commercial connections with said Tory, we do advise the inhabitants of this County to treat such persons with the utmost neglect."
Isaac was evidently unpopular.
-------
CHILDREN
I Isaac Jones, b. Sept. 24, 1754; m. Dec. 22, 1778 to Abigail Hobbs.
II Elizabeth Jones, b. Aug. 22, 1757; m. Feb., 1777 to John Willis of Medford.
III Lucy Jones, b. Apr. 23, 1759; m. Dec. 20, 1785 to Dr. William Ward of Weston.
IV Hepzibah Jones, b. Dec. 10, 1762; m. May 22,1785, to Abraham Biglowe.
V Mary Jones, b. Nov. 25, 1764.
VI William Pitt Jones, b. Nov. 7, 1766 lived on the old homestead.
VII Sarah Jones, b. Dec. 24, 1769.
VIII Martha Jones, b. Apr. 2, 1771.
IX Anna Jones, Mar. 12, 1774.
X Eunice Jones, b. June 2, 1777.
------
ENOS JONES5 (Nathaniel, Jr.4, Nathaniel3, Josiah2, Lewis1), father of Joel Jones, born May 31, 1734; married in 1758, Amplias Wadsworth, daughter of Asael Wadsworth. It is said that her mother's maiden name was Amplias Cooper, but for this we have no very definite authority. We have practically no data regarding Amplias Wadsworth Jones. She died June 28, 1785, leaving many children. Enos married 2nd, Oct. 1,1785, to Prudence Lincoln. Rev. R. C. Smith, who was unusually well informed, remembered hearing his grandmother Rhoda Sprague Jones say that Enos Jones had 16 children by his first wife, and five by his second wife, 21 in all. We do not have the names and birth dates of more than eight, and do not know how many lived to reach maturity.
----
Enos Jones moved from Charlton, Mass., to Lanesborough, in the extreme western part of the state, in 1768. Joel Jones briefly states that he died Aug. 15, 1803, and that he was drowned while swimming after ducks that had been shot. He had moved from Lanesborough prior to 1790, and we do not know certainly where he died, but believe it was near Castleton, Vermont, which is about 15 miles from Whitehall, N. Y. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and his record is given in full in "Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutionary War," volume 8, page 917.
From this it appears that he served for twenty-seven days in September 1777, and that he enlisted again March 17, 1781, and served to Feb., 1782, when he was mustered out......
The deseription of him as given at this time in the record was :"Age 46 years; Stature 5 ft. 7 inches; Complection, light; hair, brown; occupation, laborer; residence Lanesborough."
His record as a soldier seems to be clean and honorable. Our information about Enos Jones is very scanty indeed. If some member of the family could supply additional facts they would be thankfully received.
CHILDREN
I Daniel Jones, b. Oct. 1, 1758; d. Aug. 11, 1759.
II Samuel Enos Jones, b. Jan. 11, 1760; m. Keziah Farnum in 1789; d. Feb., 1835.
Was probably a Revolutionary soldier.
III Daniel Jones, b. Jan. 13, 1762; d. in the Revolutionary Army in 1781. Sol. & Sail. 8-905. Enlisted
Mar. 5, 1779. Was reported sick at Annapolis Apr., 1782. Died in service of the U. S.
IV JOEL JONES, b. July 7, 1764.
V Asael Jones, b. Mar. 31, 1766.
VI Isaac Jones, b. (???); d. Apr. 1, 1788.
VII Weston Jones, b. (???); d. Mar. 15, 1844.
VIII Nathaniel Jones, b. (???); m. Lovina Tryon, Apr. 16,1807. His daughter, Caroline Matilda, b.
Dec. 15, 1808; m. a man named White and moved to Western Crawford County, Pa.
All of the above may not be in their chronological order.
There were, no doubt, several other children of whom we have no present record.
-------
PHINEHAS JONES5 (Nathaniel, Jr.4, Nathaniel3, Josiah2, Lewis1), son of Nathaniel Jones, Jr., and uncle of Joel Jones, was born Feb. 17, 1763. He was a soldier in the Revolution. Was born at Charlton, Mass. He married 1st, Lucy Baldwin, daughter of Major Asa Baldwin, Sept. 19,1786.
She died and he married 2nd, Apr. 22, 1798, Hannah Phillips of Sturbridge. Phinehas Jones was a man of force and native ability. Was selectman, and served in the legislature in 1812. He died Apr. 27, 1850, aged 87 years. His wife Hannah died Feb. 14, 1841, aged 68 years.
During the last years of his life he made his home with his son, Phinehas, Jr., at Leicester, Mass.
CHILDREN
I Jeremiah Jones, b. Mar. 7, 1788.
II Reuel Jones, b. Dec. 27,1789. Perished in a snow storm Dec. 24,1811attempting to go to his school.
III Mindwell Jones, b. Apr. 7, 1792; m. Col. Joseph Sargent, of Leicester, Mass., Apr. 15, 1818.
IV Lory Jones, b. Feb. 12, 1794.
V Silas Jones, b. Jan. 18, 1799.
VI Jonathan Jones, b. Oct. 10, 1800; d. Aug. or Sept., 1804.
VII Lucy Jones, b. Dec. 12, 1802; d. Aug. or Sept., 1804.
VIII Lucy Baldwin Jones, b. Mar. 24, 1805; d. Sept. 17, 1813.
IX Elenor Jones, b. July 6, 1807; d. Feb. 11, 1830 at the age of 23 years.
X Louisa Ann Jones, b. Jan. 16, 1810.
XI Mariah Jones, b. Apr. 21, 1816; d. Aug. 28, 1834.
XII Phinehas Jones, Jr., b. Apr. 12, 1818.
After the death of his father in 1850, he moved to New Jersey where he engaged in business and became prominent was elected to the Congress of the United States, and served with distinction and ability. He was a man of rugged strength of mind and character.
His son, Henry P. Jones, probably still livingwas also a man of standing and influence in New
Jersey. See Historic Sketches of Spencer by Henry M. Tower.
------
JOEL JONES6 (Enos5, Nathaniel, Jr.4, Nathaniel3, Josiah2, Lewis1).
In writing of the life of Joel Jones, the founder of the branch of the Jones family to which this genealogy is especially devoted, our principal source of information is a small memorandum book filled by himself. This book is a very small one, measuring about 5 inches wide by about 7 1/2 inches high and a quarter inch thick, about the size of a fairly large bank passbook.
In this book Joel made occasional entries regarding his movements and family matters for many years.
The first entries were made when he was a very young man, probably about the year 1784, and the last was made in Apr., 1845.
A few of the words are faded and obscurely written, and now difficult to decipher, but the writing for the most part is clear, strong, and distinct. Small as this book is, it is the most important single contribution to the early history of our branch of the family. The entries are exceedingly brief and fragmentary, and frequently not in chronological order, showing that sometimes considerable time elapsed between the event and the recording of it.....
The book reveals the man as he was, in a large measure, and discloses a strongly religious nature, and also indicates something of the bitter toil and hardship cheerfully endured by the men and women of early days while clearing the land and carving out farms and homes for themselves in the wilderness.
-----
Joel Jones was born at Charlton, Mass., July 7,1764.
The family tradition is that his father, Enos Jones, had 16 children by his first wife, Amplias Wadsworth, and 5 by Prudence Lincoln, his second wife. We do not, however, have the names or any facts relating to more than 8 of his children, of whom Joel was the 4th by the first wife.
In March 1768, when Joel was about 2 1/2 years old, his father moved with his family to Lanesborough, in the extreme western part of Massachusetts, among the Berkshire hills. In Oct., 1770, he returned to Charlton to live with his aunt, Mary Jones Streeter, and he remained with her until 1780, when he was nearly 16 years of age. At this time he returned to his father's house once more.......
He was a mere youth, 16 1/2 years old, when he enlisted, Jan. 29, 1781, for three years service in the Patriot army in the Revolutionary war. The official description of him, as entered on the rolls at the time was as follows:--"Age 17 years; stature, 5 ft 7 inches; complection, freckled; hair, sandy; occupation, laborer; residence, Lanesborough."
The various muster rolls show that he was at Philipsborough, Dobbs Ferry, N. Y.; Peekskill, N. Y.; York Huts, near West Point, and other places. His pension papers state that he was in skirmish at Valentine Hill, N. Y., and near New York City. He himself makes no mention of his military services except the mere date of his enlistment and of his discharge, which was December 24, 1783. He was nearly three years in the army, and he came out nearly six feet tall, straight and erect, with a soldierly bearing which remained with him to the end of his life......
About a year and a half later, June 1, 1785, he bought a farm at Pittsfield, Rutland County, Vermont. Three years later, May, 1788, he set out for a new location and bought two "Writes" of land on the South Hero, Chittenden County, Vermont......
Sept. 27,1790, he married Sally Southgate, at Bridgewater, Vermont. The evidence is practically conclusive that she was the daughter of Richard Southgate, and Sarah Sprague, who were married at Leicester, Mass., where they were brought up, in 1762, and came to Bridgewater in 1784. Richard Southgate was a surveyor, miller, selectman and leading citizen for many years, and his wife, Sarah Sprague, born in 1738, was the sister of Knight Sprague, Jr. Richard Southgate was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Sally Southgate came from a long line of Puritan ancestry. Her grandfather, Elder Richard Southgate, Sr., came from Coombs, England, to America, in 1717, when he was three years of age. He was a distinguished soldier in the French and Indian War.
Her father's mother was Eunice Brown, whose father was Deacon Samuel Brown, who was a member of the Massachusetts Provincial Congress in 1875. He was born in 1703 and died in 1784. Deacon Samuel Brown's father was Captain Abraham Browne, his grandfather was Jonathan Browne, and his great grandfather was Abraham Browne who came to America about 1630....
-----
Deacon Samuel Brown's mother was Mary Hyde, whose grandfather, Samuel Hyde, came over in 1639. Among Sally Southgate's ancestors were Mary Shattuck, Elizabeth Fuller, Joseph Patterson and Rebecca Stephenson, all very early arrivals in America. Her ancestry on the Sprague side was identical with that of Rhoda Sprague, going back to 1628, and through Mary Warren to the Mayflower.
---
On March 3,1795,Joel Jones moved from his farm, which seems to have been some little distance out, to the house of his brother-in-law, James Southgate, in the village of Bridgewater. On Mar. 7th, his wife fell ill, on the 11th she gave birth to a still-born son, and on the 20th she died, leaving a little daughter, Amplias Jones, 3 1/2 years old. Little Amplias remained at the house of her grandfather Southgate for some time. Joel Jones makes the following entries in his book at this period of his life.
---
"August 1st 1791, my wife was taken sick with the Fever & Ague and after getting well of that and being put to bed she had a broken brest which was opened and broke in 13 places of which she did not recover until about the 1st of August 1792."
----
"March 3rd 1795 moved to Bridgewater with James Southgate."
----
"March 7th 1795, my wife and Amplias was taken sick of an inflammatory fever, the 11th the former was put to bed with a son still born, and fell into a child bed fever, and lived until the 20th when she expired at 9.30 oclock A. M. 22nd was interred at 4 P. M. after having a sermon preached suitable to the occasion from Hebrews XII- 5, by William Snow, minister of the Gospell.
The 14th the child was buried."
-----
"Amplias began to mend the 19th."
----
"She left the following articles of clothing:
4 Gowns, 2 chince, one linin and wosted, one camblet
half worn.
One Red Broad Cloath Cloak.
One green Tabreen skirt.
One calico short gown.
Three aprons, one white and two checked linin.
One old chince shall.
Four pr of linin mitts & gloves.
Six pr of linin and woolen hose.
One pr of stays.
All of which articles are to be kept for Amplias until she is big enough to wear them."
------
July 16,1795, Joel Jones married, at Bridgewater, Vermont, if the statement of his pension papers is correct as to the place, Rhoda Sprague, daughter of Knight Sprague, Jr., and first cousin to his first wife. She evidently was staying with her aunt, Sarah Sprague Southgate at the time.
She was 27 years old at this time, and he 31.
Both wives of Joel Jones were Mayflower descendants, through Mary Warren, who married Robert Bartlett in 1628; and their daughter Elizabeth Bartlett, who married Anthony Sprague in 1661-2. In Feb., 1798, they moved to West Haven, and on the 12th of Mar. into their own house. Apr. 26, 1801, they moved to Whitehall, Washington County, N. Y., a distance of about 15 miles from West Haven. Here he bought a farm. In 1808, Nov. 17, both Joel Jones and his wife were baptised and joined the Baptist church.
----
In Sept. 1814, he served a short time as Corporal in Captain Charles Rood's Company of Artillery, N. Y. State Militia. The family could plainly hear the artillery firing during the battle of Lake Champlain, and it is said that Joel Jones was among the first to board the British fleet. He served only a short time, and as he was 50 years of age at that time was too old to be accepted for active work in the field.
On page 18 of his memorandum book we find this entry :
"In 1816, in the Fall of the year, I sold my farm in Whitehall and with my large family set forth for the State of Pennsylvania. We set out on our pilgrimage on the 15th day of January 1817, and traveled on. But the weather was exceeding cold and snow fell deep and our wagons run heavy, and we were constrained to leave all our wagons before we arrived at our place of destination.
----
Feby 3rd being Sunday we called at David Hammonds and kept the Sabbath.
We arrived at James McNights new home in Wayne Township the 19th of February, and then began to look out for a farm, and purchased a tract of land in Mead Township, 200 acres and payed $250.00 for it to Jacob Guy, received a deed for the same.
----
We tarried at McNights this Summer and cropt on his land and others.
In November we began to build a house and the 15th day of February 1818 we moved into our own house in the wilderness."
This house was located on the top of the second hill south from Guys Mills,Pennsylvania and on the north-east corner of the cross roads, at the intersection of the Cochranton road and Meadville road. The house was of a peculiar construction being built of small logs squared by hewing stood on end, and mortised into the sill below and plate above, standing close together.
It was weatherboarded outside and plastered inside, and one of the best of homes for those times.
There was a very nice basement kitchen, and a fine spring of water near the back door. Nothing now remains of the building. The next 25 years of the life of Joel Jones was a period of toil at clearing his farm and settling his children, in whom he always had an active and loving interest. In 1826 he writes in his book as follows :
"This was a year of rejoicing to our family. In the course of this year all our children and our children in law inlisted under the banner of King Immanuel, and we humbly trust converted to God, and joined the Methodist connection, together with their parents. In the whole 13 joined the church, 11 children converted, the father and mother old professors.
----
May that God who in infinite mercy converted this family by his power give them strength and grace to persevere till lifes latest period, and then fit and prepare them one and all for his kingdom and afterwards receive them to glory to praise him forever."
-----
An entry made in his book, in the hand of Joel Jones, Jr., reads as follows :
"1845, August 11th at half past two Joel Jones died in the triumph of living faith, aged 81 years two months four days. 37 years had been a professor of religion and adorned the profession by a well ordered life and Godly conversation. The day before he died he said was the happiest day he ever saw. He died on Monday without a groan or struggle. The disease was painful and lasted five days. The Doctor said it was a touch of the appoplexy and palsey but it was doubtful whether they understood it. But our loss was his gain. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord for they rest from their labor."

He was buried in the old cemetery just back of the church that then stood on the hill just south of Guys Mills. This cemetery was afterwards abandoned and the body of Joel Jones was removed to the Brawley Cemetery, 3 miles south of Guys Mills.
The grave is marked by a headstone, and the Daughters of the American Revolution have placed a tablet there commemorating his patriotic services in the war for independence.
His wife, Rhoda, lived until Jan. 14,1854.
----
JOEL JONES CHRONOLOGY
1764, July 7, born at Charlton, Mass.
1768, March 10, moved to Lanesboro with his father.
1770, October 15, went to live with his aunt, Mary Streeter at Charlton.
1780, February 26, went back to Lanesboro to his father.
1781, January 29, enlisted in the Continental army.
1783, December 29, discharged from the army and returned to Lanesboro.
1785, June 1, bought a farm at Pittsfield, Rutland Co., Vt.
1788,April 28 set out for a new look out,bought two rights of land at South Hero, Chittenden Co., Vt.
1790, Sept. 27, was married to Sally Southgate.
1791,March 14, set out from Bridgewater arrived at his own house on the South Hero Island, May 10th
1791, October 25, sold his farm to William Sampson
1791, November 15, bought a lot of land in Bridgewater, Vt.
1791, December 7, first child, Amplias Jones, born.
1792, August 1, moved into a new house he built in Bridgewater.
1791, Aug. 1, to 1792, August 1st, wife was ill.
1795, Mar. 20, First Wife, Sally Southgate, died.
1795, June 16, married Rhoda Sprague, cousin of his first wife.
1798, February, moved to Westhaven; into own home March 12.
1801, April 1, moved to Whitehall, Washington Co., N. Y.
1808, November 7, joined the church, with his wife.
1814, September, served a short time in the War of 1812 at Lake Champlain.
1817, January, started to Crawford County, Penna.
1817, Feb. 19, arriver at Wayne Township, Crawford Co.,
1818, Granted a pension for services in the Revolutionary War.
1826, All of his children and children in law converted a joined the church.
1845, August 11, died in Randolph Township, Crawford, Pa., after a short illness.
CHILDREN
I Amplias Jones, b. Dec. 7, 1791.
II Joel Jones, Jr., b. Apr. 8, 1796.
III Sally Jones, b. Oct. 19, 1797.
IV Volney Jones, b. Nov. 9, 1800.
V Rhoda Jones, b. Nov. 3, 1802.
VI Louisa Jones, b. Mar. 1, 1805.
VII David Jones, b. Mar. 31, 1807.
VIII Lucy Welton Jones, b. Apr. 29, 1809.
IX Knight Sprague Jones, b. Oct. 11, 1811; d. Apr. 15, 1812.
X Apphia Jones, b. May 8, 1813.
------
AMPLIAS JONES7 (Joel6)(*), first daughter and one child of Joel Jones, by his first wife, Sally Southgate was born Dec. 7, 1791, at Bridgewater, Vermont. 1814, Aug. 1st, she married Charles McHarvey. died Nov. 17, 1826, being drowned in the Oswego river
(*) EXPLANATION--From this point on the ancestral line in
parenthesis following each name of the head of a family is carry
back only to Joel Jones, 6th Generation in America. Every descendant
of Joel Jones has the same identical ancestral line from J??
back to Lewis Jones, 1st generation in America. That line is,
course, Joel6, Enos5, Nathaniel, Jr.4, Nathaniel, Sr.3, Josiah2, Leu??
To reprint this full line from Joel back to Lewis after each na??
would mean hundreds of useless repetitions. Therefore from ??
point on we have carried the ancestral line back to Joel only, ??
stopped there. The line of each and all of the descendants, f??
Joel back, is as above stated.
------
The family tradition is that some time later she married for her second husband, John Welch, a native of Ireland. He died Apr. 21,1839, and is buried beside Joel Jones in the old Brawley Cemetery in Randolph
Township, Crawford Co., Pa. She lived at Meadville and vicinity after the death of her second husband, and was living with her son Charles, at the time he went to California about 1856.
Hiram Clark Smith, her nephew, remembers her living at the house of a Mr. Ellis, which is still standing just outside the Meadville city limits on the Titusville road.
The family tradition is that she went to live with a daughter in New York state, after Charles McHarvey, Jr.,went to California, and that she died there of cancer. She boarded the flag ship of Commodore Macdonough after the battle of Lake Champlain. We have very few facts regarding her.
Two of her grandchildren are still living, but they are aged, with failing memories, and cannot help us. She probably died before 1860.
CHILDREN
I Elizabeth Smith McHarvey, b. Apr. 20, 1817.
II Huldah McHarvey, b. Dec. 17, 1819.
III Mary McHarvey, b. Feb. 18, 1824.
IV Charles McHarvey, b. Dec. 21, 1826.
-----
JOEL JONES, JR7 (Joel6), born Apr. 8, 1796; married Sarah Smith, Nov. 7, 1822.
He came to Crawford County with his father in 1817. He and his entire family moved to Henry County, Illinois, in 1846, where he died, Oct. 21,1870. His wife died Apr. 23, 1875.
He was a soldier in the war of 1812, serving as private in Captain Stephen Barber's Company, Col. Pliny Adams' Regiment of New York Militia. His special duty was to act with the escort taking British prisoners captured at the battle of Lake Champlain to their places of detention. He was discharged at Burlington, Vermont, in Sept., 1814. Sarah Smith, his wife, was a sister of Reuben Smith and John Smith, both of whom married daughters of Joel Jones. She was born in Ware, Mass., Sept. 18, 1796. Joel Jones, Jr., was an ardent and muscular Christian.
He was a shouting Methodist with a strong voice, and on still summer evenings his prayers were sometimes heard a mile and a half away. In a letter written in 1857, to his niece, Apphia Flavilla Bannister, he said, "I still am trying to serve the Lord. I like old fashioned religion, and to work old fashioned, and feel old fashioned, that is to have the love of God in the heart, and to feel that God is reconciled with me."
Truly we are degenerate sons of these old pioneers and soldiers.
CHILDREN
40 I Vasa Bozarris Jones, b. Sept. 16, 1824.
II Heppy Juletta Jones, b. Feb. 21, 1828; d. July 1,1830.
41 III Sarassa Marilla Jones, b. May 7, 1826; d. July 28, 1848.
42 IV Sarah Ermina Jones, b. Mar. 23, 1830.
43 V Lucetta Marcella Jones, b. Mar. 23, 1832.
44 VI Luther Alvara Jones, b. Mar. 8, 1834.
45 VII Joel Adna Jones, b. Mar. 15, 1836.
46 VIII Asael Wadsworth Jones, b. June 4, 1838.
------
SALLY JONES7 (Joel6), born Oct. 19, 1797; married, May 4, 1820 to Leonard Hall.
He was born May 7, 1795, and died Sept. 28, 1878. She died Sept. 12, 1878. He was a farmer, hardworking, industrious, a man of natural force and ability, and a leading citizen. He was a native of Vermont. Their wedding trip consisted of a visit to his far distant home in Vermont.
The journey was made with an ox sled, for which he was obliged to cut a road for some distance, while his father-in-law who accompanied them part way, drove the ox sled bearing his wife. Quite different from the usual wedding trip in these degenerate days.

CHILDREN
47 I Temperance Relief Hall, b. May 8, 1821.
48 II Louisa Adeline Hall, b. May 1, 1823.
49 III Ira Robinson Hall, b. June 3, 1825.
IV David Hall, b. July 17, 1827; d. July 18, 1827.
50 V Leonard Hill Hall, b. Oct. 31, 1828.
51 VI Mary Hetty Hall, b. Sept. 21, 1832.
52 VII Rhoda Samantha Hall, b. Sept. 4, 1834.
53 VIII Olive Maria Hall, b. May 7, 1836.
54 IX Hattie Lovina Hall, b. Aug. 17, 1838.
55 X Samuel Enos Hall, b. Aug. 28, 1841.
--------
VOLNEY JONES7 (Joel6), born Nov. 9, 1800; married Nov. 29, 1829, to Esther Thurston.
They had seven children, five of whom died in early childhood. She died (???) 18(???).
He never remarried. He spent many years after the death of his wife, in the west.
He was in Minnesota, at Mankato, at the time of the great Indian uprising and war in 1862, sharing the common peril. He returned to Pennsylvania, with his son William, about 1876.
He spent the last years of his life in Randolph Township,Crawford County on a farm purchased with his help by the son with whom he lived.....
He was a man of marked peculiarities, strong originality, and good mind.
He was a sincerely religious man, a minister in good and regular standing in the United Brethren Church, and preached at intervals for many years. He died Jan. 21,1886.
CHILDREN
I William Arova Jones, b. July 1, 1830.
II Mary Jones, b. Jan. 1, 1832; d. Sept. 1, 1840.
III Child, b. Jan. 20, 1834; d. same day.
IV Addison Sprague Jones, b. Jan. 28, 1836.
V Carlton Enos Jones, b. Dec. 25, 1837; d. Aug. 27, 1838.
VI Zenos Taylor Jones, b. Jan., 1842; d. Sept. 7, 1842.
VII Volney Alexander Jones, b. Mar. 12, 1844; d.June 3, 1844.
----
RHODA JONES7 (Joel6), born Nov. 3, 1802; married Dec. 5, 1822, to Reuben Smith.
Rhoda Jones, Lucy Welton Jones, and Joel Jones, Jr., children of Joel Jones, Sr., married Reuben Smith, John Smith, and Sarah Smith, respectively,children of Lemuel Smith.
Reuben Smith was born in Ware, Mass., and came with his father to Crawford County, Pa in 1817.
Reuben Smith husband of Rhoda Jones, died May 13,1865.
She was bedridden for many years prior to her death from a broken leg.
She died at the old homestead, where she lived with her daughter, Miranda, and her son-in-law, Philip Monroe, on June 28, 1879.
CHILDREN
58 I Joel Lemuel Smith, b. Jan. 5, 1824.
59 II Amanda Melvina Smith, b. Sept. 10, 1826.
60 III Knight Sprague Smith, b. Jan. 12, 1828.
61 IV Rhoda Miranda Smith, b. Jan. 21, 1831.
62 V Reuben Chandler Smith, b. Aug. 7, 1838.
VI Coursen Nathaniel Smith, b. Mar. 23, 1844; d. Oct. 2, 1865, while a student at Allegheny College.
He was a very promising young man of force and ability, and won the Allegheny Literary
Essay prize in 1864. A career of great usefulness was cut short by his untimely death.
-----
LOUISA JONES7 (Joel6), born Mar. 1, 1805; married Calvin Wilder in 1827.
They moved to Wisconsin with their seven children in 1844. She died Mar. 18, 1887.
He died Nov. 17, 1884. They both died at Coloma Corners, Waushara County, Wis.
This industrious couple lived long and exemplary lives, cheerfully undergoing all the privations common to the pioneer. They founded homes in the then new state of Wisconsin, and reared a large family, and their descendants are now very numerous throughout the WestCHILDREN
63 I Lucy Adeline Wilder, b. Dec. 23, 1827.
64 II William Edwin Wilder, b. Feb. 14, 1829.
65 III Daniel Jones Wilder, b. Nov. 18, 1830.
IV Mary Ester Wilder, b. June 11, 1833; d. Dec.14, 1834.
V Joel Calvin Wilder, b. Aug. 3, 1835.
VI Harvey Wilder, b. Nov. 30, 1837.
VII Sylvester Harrison Wilder, b. Apr. 11, 1841.
Enlisted in Pennsylvania for service in the Union Army in the summer of 1863, and d.
Apr. 2, 1865, at the siege of Petersburg.
VIII Harriet Louisa Wilder, b. Aug. 20, 1843 m. in Mar., 1889, William Wesley Depew.
Lived at Sioux City, Neb. She d. Oct. 9, 1903, leaving no children.
------
DAVID JONES7 (Joel6), born Mar. 31, 1807; married July 6, 1834, to Sarah Chamberlain Childs.
She was born Apr. 26, 1812, and died Nov. 9, 1878. He died Sept. 22, 1862, after an illness of only three days. He was one of the founders and trustees of the first Methodist Church built in Randolph Township, Crawford County, Pa., which was located on the hill just south of Guys Mills. When the congregation abandoned the old building and built a new church at Mount Hope, in 1858, he was a member of the first Board of Trustees. Was a farmer and led an industrious and exemplary life. Always lived about one mile south from Guys Mills. The house in which he lived is still standing.
CHILDREN
I Martin Ruter Jones, b. Apr. 10, 1835.
II Apphia Jane Edna Jones, b. 1836; d. 1847.
III Horace Childs Jones, b. July 2, 1838.
IV Sarah Emeline Jones, b. May 17, 1840.
V Joel Jay Jones, b. Apr. 17,1843 never married. Lived for many years at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Was employed in a wholesak house and worked until a week before he died Died Jan. 7,1924.
71 VI Rhoda Ann Jones, b. April 26, 1845.
72 VII Ira Moses Jones, b. Jan. 27, 1850.
73 VIII Temperance Relief Jones, b. Mar. 28, 1852.
74 IX James Orvis Wygant Jones, b. July 11, 1854.
75 X Lucy Amanda Jones, b. Sept. 29, 1856.
------
LUCY WELTON JONES7 (Joel6), born Apr. 29, 1809, at Whitehall, N. Y.; married Dec. 5, 1830, John Smith. He was born Mar. 25, 1806, and died Jan. 2, 1858. She married, 2nd, Sept. 25, 1864, Jonas Byham. He died July 17, 1877. She died Apr. 25, 1894, at the old homestead in Randolph Township, Crawford County, Pa., near the spot where she and her first husband settled. She was a woman of strong and decided character, unwavering in her faith and always on the side of morality and religion. Her memory was remarkable. As a young girl she was given a prize by Rev. Timothy Alden, first President of Allegheny College, for committing to memory and reciting ten thousand verses from the Bible, a feat which not many would attempt now.
She was named after her aunt. Lucy Sprague, who married Dan. Welton. "A Little Bit of Pioneer Life," printed in another portion of this volume, will clearly indicate the kind of woman she was.

CHILDREN
76 I Apphia Flavilla Smith, b. Sept. 23, 1831.
77 II David Jones Smith, b. Nov. 17, 1833.
78 III Warren Mack Smith, b. Sept. 17, 1835.
79 IV Hiram Clark Smith, b. Dec. 31, 1837.
80 V Mary Maria Smith, b. June 7, 1840.
81 VI Catharine Lucinda Smith, b. Apr. 26, 1842.
82 VII Lucyette Smith, b. July 15, 1844.
83 VIII John Lemuel Smith, b. Jan. 9, 1846.
84 IX Leonard Alvester Smith, b. July 23, 1849.
X Luther Sylvester Smith, b. July 23, 1849; d. 1850.
XI Eugene Vanverson Smith, b. 1856; d. soon.
------
APPHIA JONES7 (Joel6), born May 8, 1813. She was named after the biblical character mentioned by Saint Paul, in his letter to Philemon. Married Apr. 17, 1834, to Daniel Freeman Stright, whom she met at a Camp Meeting. He was a school teacher and student for the ministry, and was born at Gravel Run, Crawford County, Pa., on Mar. 6, 1811. Soon after their marriage they moved to Indiana where he had
been appointed to do missionary work. His first station was at New Castle.
He joined the Indians, Conference at Rockville the next year. He soon developed into a strong and effctive pioneer preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He served Pendleton Circuit, Marion, Knightstown, was in Augusta in 1843, and later at Albany, Muncie, Dunkirk, Montpelier, Hartford, Hagerstown and many other places.
He was Presiding Elder on the Fort Wayne District. During his last days Bible agent for the Methodist Book Concern. He had a home at Knightstown to which he retired and where he died Apr. 11,1894. Apphia Jones Stright died at the same place Oct. 28,1899.
----
In an interesting letter written "Aprile" 28, 1850, to "Mother Rhoda Jones" they describe their home and work. She said her husband had ten appointments to fill in two weeks and about a hundred miles to ride to fill them. "It is a pleasant Country" she says, "and the dilligent is made fat with a plenty of this worlds goods. We are well supplied with provisions for out table but do not get much money so I do not expect we shall be able to come and see you this summer."
In his portion of the letter he said :
"Dear Mother: I well remember the time you sat on the stairs and cried because I had just married your daughter. No doubt you were anticipating the vicissitudes she would have to pass through. We have had our changes, truly, but the Lord has been gracious to us all. He has preserved us until we are a band of six. Mother, strive to rest on the all sufficient Saviour."
CHILDREN
85 I Louisa Rhoda Stright, b. Jan. 22, 1835.
86 II Coursen Jones Stright, b. July 27, 1837.
III Adrillia Adelia Stright, b. June 1, 1843. Unm. Died at Knightstown, Ind., May 30, 1924.
IV Merrit Freeman Stright, b. Mar. 8, 1850.

Find a board about a specific topic